xisto Community
VJgamer1405241488

Ftp Managers Which do you use?

FileZilla is great and I have been using it for over a year now but there is another that is almost as good called BFTP (Batch File Transfer Protocol) it takes a little getting used to and the only thing you might dislike is that it can make sounds on file transfer and a special sound when entire Batch is finished, Coffee Cup Free FTP is also good I did use WSFTP but did not see any sense in paying for it after trying some of the freebies out there.Sile zilla is definately one of those that I would not be without and am quite pleased with it.

For all interesting in FTP managers I would like to tell that the good free FTP client SmartFTP which has been made paid by the owner is now free once again for non commercial use.I have used it earlier and it is a very good tool. It has all the features of an paid FTP client. I have stop to use it when it has gone paid.But it is good that it is free once again.

For all interesting in FTP managers I would like to tell that the good free FTP client SmartFTP which has been made paid by the owner is now free once again for non commercial use.

I have used it earlier and it is a very good tool. It has all the features of an paid FTP client. I have stop to use it when it has gone paid.

But it is good that it is free once again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is what I use (SmartFTP). It has all my favorite/frequently used FTP sites saved and the some useful functions. I guess it gets the job done. All I really need it for is uploading and downloading things to servers and occassionally renaming and deleting files. Long time ago I used WS_FTP.

Hmmm... it seems there is a good variety of worty FTP managers here! Well, the one I use is the WS_FTPLE, like chliyo said:

used to use WS_FTPLE when I was still on the PC

It seems like a nice program - with a nice looking account wizard. However, I should try out that FileZilla. That company is going too popular!! Heh, I think they are looking at all the programs and just putting them into style-and-a-couple-better-and-more-features-than-the-original stuff. Hey, it's just a thought! XD

But anyway, is the multi-file uploading a new feature? I've never seen that before. Or maybe it's something secret..? So it means if I have broadband, it will take me less than a minute to upload a hundred pictures? Well, something like that. But you get the idea...

* Cute FTP Pro * :Dughhh .. no one seems to be using that much eh ? .. well depends .. i like it cause m used to layout and options and besides its better for ppl like me behind a proxy lol .. i use to use WS_FTP but umm .. it used to get d/c even when i used the proxy settings in it .. but i still use BulletProof FTP Server if i have to use my Comp as a FTP Machine .. :P wonder why the proxy was made ! shut down the damn sites ! y take away precious user rights :P

I use WS_FTP PRO. It works well although for some reason, after a while I start gettin errors saying "WS_FTP has not been configured properly", so all I do is reinstall it and the problem is solved. Other than that, its a great little program, you can have multiple tabs open, which is really cool for managing more than one site and its really easy to use. I used to use Win_SCP but I really hated that program, way too slow. I have also used FileZilla and that is a nice program, but it just isn't as good as WS_FTP.

I'm currently using WS_FTP, mostly to upload files to my homepage on my ISP's server and to manage files on it. I've used another FTP manager once but I've forgotten what it's called since I'm no longer using it, especially after having to replace my hard-drive last year.The WS_FTP I use is pretty old but it works fine for me. :D

I just installed FileZilla Server on my Win2k in order to make it a ftp server. Quite impressive, works fine, easy to install on my pc, create users and default filesystem, impressive administration tools.Unfortunately, from that moment I was unable to login to Xisto forum from that PC, I will have to reinstall this PC. Because it's not acceptable to be unable to login to Xisto ! By the way, is there something in Xisto that prevents loggin in from a ftp server ?

I use WS_FTP PRO. It works well although for some reason, after a while I start gettin errors saying "WS_FTP has not been configured properly", so all I do is reinstall it and the problem is solved. Other than that, its a great little program, you can have multiple tabs open, which is really cool for managing more than one site and its really easy to use.

This problem is solved by a patch that is in distribution of version 5.0.The patch is upgrade version to 5.04

Take care about upgrading your version just ready in time! It's very usefull cause is about your security!

Whatch this out:
Changes in 5.04 Hotfix 1
- Added callback routine to SSLSVC.DLL to allow us to verify there is data on
the socket before the eay libraries do a blocking read. This corrects
the issue where the a lost connection during a file upload using SSL
would cause server leave the connection open and the file locked.
- Rebuilt the eay libararies statically linked to runtime libraries to match
the rest of the FTP Server. If this linking method doesn't match there
can be memory allocation/freeing issues which may result in a crash.
Changes in 5.04
- Corrected Buffer overflow security vulnerability reported at:
https://isc.sans.edu//diary.html?date=2004-12-05
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
http://secunia.com/advisories/13334/
- Corrected permissions issue where root folder permissions were not applied
correctly if the host's root folder was not the root directory on a hard drive.

And i'd like to say now more important thing about ftp servers.
On my server working Gene6 FTP server a long time.
It's powerfull, convenient most tasks - in one word: fantastick B)

Intuitive interface which can be localized
NT authentication (if using windows password)
One Time Password S/Key (MD5)
IP based access
Choose who can and who cannot connect to your server (user account or server level).
Maximum connections limitation (IP, domain, user)
Manage your network and system resources efficiently.
Custom commands and messages definition
Unlimited Accounts

etc etc etc :P

if you want to know more: http://www.gene6.com/
take in mind and don't ask me late - it's only ftp server!

I use coffee cup ftp. It is a free program, does not have some of the options teh paid ftp programs have but it gets the job done and it works great! I would reccomend it to beginners since it is extremely easy to use. If you are new to FTP, get this program!

There are many good FTP servers out there. The best free ones with a trial are CuteFTP and FTP Voyager, they are really good if you want a trial version for free. The best free ones with not trial are FileZilla and SmartFTP. They have everythinga person could want from an FTP server.

@cloud28: Yes, it seems that the evaluation version of WS_FTP is only for Microsoft Windows. And, because it's not an open-source product, they do not maike public the sources in such a way that you could compile them with linux... Which is fully normal for a commercial product.