xisto Community
iGuest

True Free Design Program? Is there such a powerful freeware?

The closest thing to a free powerful graphics editor is either pain.NET or The GIMP. The GIMP - very unstable and not suggested for anyone who wants a stable envirnoment.- if you can cope with the numerous errors, then the plugins can prove very valuable- is as strong as Photoshop and alike when it comes to the actual editingpaint.NET- very stable- can be seen as the bridge between paint and PSP or Photoshop.- Only has limited features- little or no plugins yet availableVerdict: paint.NET for easy use The GIMP for advanced graphical manipulation / creationHowever, if you prefer old style pixelated images, then why not use manual hard labour with paint.--mik

Ive not used the Gimp - it seems a shame about the errors you are reporting as I always believed it was a fairly widely used application - not usual with something that keeps crashing! Anyone else have this issue with the Gimp - think I will have to give it a trial and see.Dan

i have been using gimp for 5 years on linux as well as windows and little problems with it. it is not a good as the latest photoshop, but gets the job done. that and it cannot read some jpegs from some digital cameras.

Ok first of all Gimp is not that unstable ive had it for a month and nothing has happend. Also a new version has just been released someting like Gimp 2.6.9 or something like that which has got rid of any errors on the scripts(which there was few of)So if you are looking for a free one dont use paint it just dosnt loook as good as something produced on gimp and also gimp has 1000's of brushes to use!!

in a matter of fact, Gimp has some bugs, but usually bugs appear due to the gtk engine, but I have problems with the gimp on linux too, sometimes it just quits, but not often. So what just restart the software..

Recentlly I have been using Pixia.It does not have much control over the media when compared to GIMP or Paint - much like the real art media. That is what gives it the reality factor, at which I am good at when compared with CG.

Thanks for the share, i just install it and test it, and I think that there exists a lot of tools like this one, but in my opinion this cool software is very simple, come with all the basic tools founded in every graphic design software -and expensive- and the difference is that it is very easy to use even for the people who are not designers like me. :unsure:

Best regards,

For 908% of the work I do, GIMP can do it and sometimes it even does a better job than PS. (Okay, I have to admit, I'm still running on PS7 for Mac...I have no need to upgrade until I switch to Mactel)That being said, that 2% is a major amount of my work. That's because I rely on a couple Photoshop Plug-ins to generate textures and there is no other programs for mac that will do the same thing. Also, there is not any programs for Linux either nor equal plug-ins for the GIMP. So I'm locked into using PS until my needs are met by another application. Considering PS now is only $150 for upgrades and the plug ins were $50....I'd need a new app that is less than that or so riduclusly superior for the added money that i was forced to use it. So I'm stuck with PS, but for most every day users, GIMP will do everything they need and more. Plus I've found it to be pretty stable on the Mac. Sure it crashes, but no more or less than PS in my experience.

For 908% of the work I do, GIMP can do it and sometimes it even does a better job than PS. (Okay, I have to admit, I'm still running on PS7 for Mac...I have no need to upgrade until I switch to Mactel)
That being said, that 2% is a major amount of my work. That's because I rely on a couple Photoshop Plug-ins to generate textures and there is no other programs for mac that will do the same thing. Also, there is not any programs for Linux either nor equal plug-ins for the GIMP. So I'm locked into using PS until my needs are met by another application. Considering PS now is only $150 for upgrades and the plug ins were $50....I'd need a new app that is less than that or so riduclusly superior for the added money that i was forced to use it.

So I'm stuck with PS, but for most every day users, GIMP will do everything they need and more. Plus I've found it to be pretty stable on the Mac. Sure it crashes, but no more or less than PS in my experience.

Hi, i agree with you, the GIMP is a great software and i use it too, but because i'm not a graphic designer i think that i dont use it 100% and i wish that someday i will. Now, thanks to bnbrown that share PhotoFiltre i think that this software is perfect for my requirements because it offers a lot of tools to the non graphic designers like me and its really very easy to use, but again, i wish that someday i could use THE GIMP at its 100%.

Best regards,

For vector art you can try Inkscape. A free and open source alternative to Adobe's Illustrator.GIMP has been very stable for me. But I finally got around to installing Avid (I'm a video editor, wannabe professional) It had some conflicts with the DLL libraries that GIMP was using. Therefore the only way to get Avid to run was to uninstall GIMP. Not saying it's GIMP's fault, I love the GIMP. But it still shouldn't be happening. And I'm a special case. I don't think many people will have the combo I have, using GIMP and Avid on one system.

Hi people I've been scouring the Internet whenever I can. I like the whole idea of loosing time do doing artwork as a child. It's sad I don't have that enthusiam as an adult. Althought I don't go online very often I came across some noteworthy applications (software) for people who are interested in doing graphic arts / photo manipulation. Here is my list of software I use and/or still testing:USE - GIMP (Graphics Image Manipulation Tool)TESTING - Inkscape (like Illustrator)TESTING - Blender (3D Render)TESTING - Scribus (Open Source Desktop Publishing)Art of Illusion (3D Modeling)USE - PICASA 2 (Post Photo Editing - Google)USE - Focus Magic (Correcting focusing/motion blur)USE - Noiseware Personal Edition (Correcting ISO Camera Noise from Pictures)OpenOffice.org Draw (Drawing, Flow Charts, Clipart)Paint.net (Painting)USE - Apophysis (Fractal Render)USE - ACAD (3D Modeling, Drafting)MS PhotoDraw 2000 (Has issues working with Windows 2000/XP)MS Picture ITPaint Shop ProACDSee (Photo Management/Editing)SimpleDraw (Charting - like Visio)I hope this list helps. There are some other software titles i've tried but It's been quite sometime since I've used them. I usually install the apps. when I need them of when a project arises. All the above software may not all be free opensource GPL but I listed them cause the topic kind of strayed away from True Free Design Programs.Levimage