xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
moonwitch1405241479

Publishing Site With Frontpage Yes, I wrote a tut on frontpage

Firstly, I do not use FrontPage, I just installed it to take the screenshots and then make this tutorial on request :P Ok, so you use Frontpage to create a site, well, that's your choice, but I want to warn you as well. While FrontPage may seem nice, it creates horrible code, sluggish pages and well, it's M$ LOL. For full control without having to know all the code, you can try NVU, 1st Page 2000 or google for HTML Editors.

Fire up FrontPage (I can NOT believe I am typing this).. Anyhow, if you use proxy servers to connect to the net you'll need to complete this step first :P

Go to Tools -> Options

On the General Tab, click on Proxy settings, and set it up, you should know how to do this, otherwise you wouldn't be reading this huh?

Posted Image

So I am going to assume you've created your page already, if not, now is THE time to do it LOL... Anyways, here's what we start off with.

Posted Image

Now you will want to publish it, aye? Well, if you at any point uninstalled your Frontpage extensions, then it will NOT work. So if you left those alone in cPanel, go ahead and go to File -> Publish Web

Posted Image

Enter your domain name, but do not include http://. I don't know why, but then it will not work, you'll get an error. (Well it did on my end, but then again I hate Frontpage). Of course you click on ok :P

Then you will get a wee screen asking for your username and password, this is your cPanel username and password.

Posted Image

That *should* work ok, and you'll get the FTp screen built in in FrontPage. On that screen you click on Show All >> so that you can browse to the correct folder of your hosting account here.

Posted Image

Of course, you'll need to go to public_html and make sure the files you want to upload are checked. Like this:

Posted Image

Well when that's set, you click Publish and should get this:

Posted Image

Now you should have your site up :P I know I am over explaining this one, but I just wanna cover ALL bases.

Sorry, I'm just so amused by a tutorial where the author spends one entire paragraph at the beginner berating and putting down the very thing he's doing a tutorial on... *giggle**shares your hate for Frontpage*

haha, frontpage isn't that bad, maybe it is because you people are using frontpage 2002 or below. Frontpage 2003 uses templates which make changing the look of your website so easy! Just by editing one file, all the pages in your website are changed, ready for uploading. If the server you are uploading to have frontpage 2003 extensions installed then you can do the updating online and not even have to upload. There is nothing to hate there :D

the biggest problem with FP is that no matter what verions you use I have yet to find that is supports PHP, full blown CGI, SSL. To be able to fully use its abilities you must use a server with FPE's on it and if not then FP becomes a very bulky, and stupid, HTML editor that doesn't know what to do with its self.

OMG! I never knew I could do this...I always thought I had to go through WS_FTP to get things done...however, what would you see as the possible drawbacks of ALWAYS doing it this way? I know it did fine with my php files this time, but doesn't mean it will every time...any thoughts?

Firstly, I do not use FrontPage, I just installed it to take the screenshots and then make this tutorial on request ;) Ok, so you use Frontpage to create a site, well, that's your choice, but I want to warn you as well. While FrontPage may seem nice, it creates horrible code, sluggish pages and well, it's M$ LOL. For full control without having to know all the code, you can try NVU, 1st Page 2000 or google for HTML Editors.

Fire up FrontPage (I can NOT believe I am typing this).. Anyhow, if you use proxy servers to connect to the net you'll need to complete this step first :P

Go to Tools -> Options

On the General Tab, click on Proxy settings, and set it up, you should know how to do this, otherwise you wouldn't be reading this huh?

Posted Image

So I am going to assume you've created your page already, if not, now is THE time to do it LOL... Anyways, here's what we start off with.

Posted Image

Now you will want to publish it, aye? Well, if you at any point uninstalled your Frontpage extensions, then it will NOT work. So if you left those alone in cPanel, go ahead and go to File -> Publish Web

Posted Image

Enter your domain name, but do not include http://. I don't know why, but then it will not work, you'll get an error. (Well it did on my end, but then again I hate Frontpage). Of course you click on ok ;)

Then you will get a wee screen asking for your username and password, this is your cPanel username and password.

Posted Image

That *should* work ok, and you'll get the FTp screen built in in FrontPage. On that screen you click on Show All >> so that you can browse to the correct folder of your hosting account here.

Posted Image

Of course, you'll need to go to public_html and make sure the files you want to upload are checked. Like this:

Posted Image

Well when that's set, you click Publish and should get this:

Posted Image

Now you should have your site up ;) I know I am over explaining this one, but I just wanna cover ALL bases.

Frontpage is not bad, just delete the unrequired code. The new Expression Web (aka Frontpage) has lots of templates/themes. Thanks, i'll keep that for my website

OK so I am thinking of joining Xisto and begin designing a web page using their site. Of course I know nothing about developing a web site and am looking for help.I have downloaded NVU and hope to use it to develop the site. Will that work? once I have developed the website is it then "uploaded" or somehow installed on Xisto?Looking for some type of tutorial that leads one through the process. Can't seem to find one.And of course the important question, where do I go to find out if I have accumulated enough "points" to even begin the process and how many points does it take?Many thanks from a newby.

You can tell how many credits you have by looking at the top of the Xisto homepage.

HOSTING CREDITS : 9.95 DAYS.

The basic hosting plan needs 10 credits to start and 30 credits for the regular plan. The application can be found at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.

Since you posted under the FrontPage forum I assume you are considering using FrontPage as your HTML editor. After you get some content in FrontPage then go to the website tab and then upload to server. You will be prompted for a URL, username, and password witch will correspond to your Xisto information. I personally use FrontPage for my site (ycoderscookbook.com) and I think it is a quick and easy way to manage the site.

A more traditional way of managing a website is to upload the files via FTP. You will need a FTP client such as Filezilla at https://filezilla-project.org/. Login with your Xisto credentials and browse your hosting space. Drop all your files into the HTML-Public folder.

Most all HTML editors provide an easy way to upload your site as long as you have your credentials. From here you can go into cpanel and customize how your site responds. Cpanel has more options then anyone could ever need and provides a full feature set.

I hope you do decide to join as I have found Xisto a great place to be. As long as you like to talk about geeky computer stuff you should never be at a loss for something to talk about.

i dont have frontpage at home and dont intend on ever having it, but at school we had to create a personal site in frontpage.so i decided id play with the publishing thing! i just connected with my Xisto hosting account. i didnt bother uploading it though cos it was a crap website. lol.yeah so anyway i could do it without a tutorial ^_^