xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Free Web-based Ftp Clients (can Use With Astahost)

Hi :P,
Here are a couple of free web-based FTP Sites, that you can use to upload files to your Xisto hosting account - in case you are having difficulties in installing/configuring a local FTP Client.

1. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Manage your websites and files!!Once you are logged in, you will be able to:
    * Navigate your FTP server
    * Upload and download files
    * Copy - move between two 2nd FTP servers
    * Copy, move, delete, CHMOD files and directories
    * Rename and chmod files and directories
    * Edit text files, and view them with syntax highlighting
    * Navigate the FTP server. Once you have logged in, you can browse from directory to directory and see all the subdirectories and files.
    * Upload files. The files are copied from your computer to the FTP server.
    * Download files. Click on a filename in the list of files, and a window will pop up to ask you where you want to save it on your computer.
    * Upload-and-unzip. This feature is great to upload many files at once (for example if you want to install an application on your web server). This is how it works: specify a Zip file on your computer; the Zip file is transferred to the web server where it is unzipped; the files it contains are transferred to the FTP server.
    * Zip-and-download. This is the opposite from the upload-and-unzip. Select directories or files you want to download, they are transferred to the web server where they are zipped into one Zip file that you save on your computer.
    * Copy, move and delete directories and files. Directories are handled recursively, meaning that their content (subdirectories and files) will also be copied, moved or deleted.
    * Copy or move directories and files directly to a second FTP server.
    * Rename and chmod directories and files.
    * View code with syntax highlighting.
    * Edit text right from your browser. Every time you save the changes the new file is transferred to the FTP server.
    * Edit text right from your browser in an HTML form.
    * Send files via email. Select directories or files, click on Email, and a Zip file is prepared to sent in attachment to an address of your choice.
    * All this... FREE

2. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

UnlimitedFTP Online - Access your FTP sites from anywhere with this free web based FTP client!
UnlimitedFTP Online is a web based FTP client. It's fast, it's easy to use and it works everywhere! It works in your web browser and stores all your configuration settings so you no longer need to install other FTP software. You can access your FTP sites from multiple locations, at work, school, or home without ever losing your settings. Businesses can let their customers use this service to access their FTP site to transfer files. We also provide FTP hosting solutions to meet your needs. UnlimitedFTP Online is your complete web based FTP solution.

And some php scripts and java applets that you can install on your site to give FTP functionality to users:
1. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Why phpWebFTP?
phpWebFTP offers a way of connecting to you FTP server, even when you are behind a firewall or proxy not allowing traffic to FTP servers. This is very common in business networks.

phpWebFTP overcomes this issue by making a FTP connection from your webserver to the FTP server of you liking and transfering the files from this web server to your webclient over the standard http protocol.

I developed phpWebFTP to overcome this issue myself and descided to share the application with others. The source is available under GNU license. Which basically means you can use the program and modify the code, as long as you keep mentioning my name ;-)

In order to use phpWebFTP on you webserver, you should have a webserver with PHP and FTP enabled. No other installation or configuration should be nescecarry.

2. http://www.fileheaven.com/descargar/ftp-applet/26066.htm

What is FTP Applet?"Web based FTP client applet."

FTP Applet Description from the Publisher
FTP Applet is a Java based FTP client that runs in the context of your web browser. FTP Applet is targeted towards organizations wishing to provide their users an easy method of exchanging data without having to install a FTP client. Features include multiple file transfer, transfer status monitor, multilingual support, automatic login and the ability to customize to match your web site palette.

3. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

MyWebFTP Free is a free lite version of MyWebFTP Personal - a PHP script providing FTP client capabilities with the user interface in your browser. Install it on a remote server and easily connect to your FTP servers through a firewall or a proxy not allowing FTP connections. No PHP built-in FTP support is required. Perform actions on many files at once. Password protected from casual surfers wasting your bandwidth. Nice look and feel is easy customizable.

Use wisely :P

got another one: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ fine with me. the only issue i have regarding webbased ftpclients is security. they could easily fetch your login information, as you just hand it over to them.but then again, most of our sites aren't interesting enough to hack or take over i guess, hehe.but still, i prefer a common client. but if you have no option...but the main reaon why you would use this and not the file manager in your Xisto cpanel would probably be that port 2082 is blocked where you are. work, school,... most of them block that port.the solution: cpanelproxy.net my advice:change your cpanel password to something silly.go to that site and start the auto installer.go back to cpanel and change your password again to you regular one, just to be safe.now go to cpanel.yoursubdomain.astahost.com, should work fineand it's safer!

I just use WS_FTP_LE its free and it lets you easily change the CHMOD settings ect on your files, so its an all around good toll to use. I am sure all the ones mentioned here are also good thought :D

Finally, a work-around that actually works ;). I've downloaded net2ftp and uploaded it to my site and extracted it. Now I can easily upload and download files .... even download a complete backup in zip format of the entire website.

think a destop FTP client is faster -> better. I recommend FileZilla. On windows, just run it. On Linux, use WINE.

It's definitely better if you can use it. You probably have no problem using it at home or elsewhere, but in my campus, we have a proxy which blocks all the ports except 3128 (for http connections).

Damn the campus proxy :)

Another great web-based one is Web2FTP.

It's simple, no BS about anything, limited filler and junk. Just FTP and that's it.

I use it several times a week, no problems. It even logs you out automatically if you forget. I love it.

Thanks For Sharing These Online Clients. Although I Don't Really Like Online FTP Clients Because They Usually Have A Limit on How Much You Can Upload In 1 Day! Also Some Online FTP Clients Don't Have Progress Bars. I'd Prefer To Use A FTP Client On Your PC. For 1: No Limits, Unless Your Free Host Limits It!. 2: It Has A Progress Bar! Once Again Thanks For Sharing This List With Us! :blink:

Edited by Steven9088 (see edit history)

Obviously, web-based FTP clients opens a door to manage your files without install "your omni FTP-client". Desktop based FTP clients(like web browsers) are faster but not anywhere. Then, this kind of web-based tools are for emergency, travel, accidents, etc.

WARNING!!

Some users love to upload web-based FTP clients to practice "server bridging" or another kind of hacking(sucking, because hackers are genious!!!).

Blessings!

Ah, web based ftp clients. My first experiance with them was at the age of 9, when I took a look at net2ftp, at the time it's latest version was 0.77 or around that. I didn't know about PHP and so on at that time, so I renamed them to .html and hoped they would work. Not surpisingly, it didn't. I checked net2ftp's site recently and downloaded a copy and tested it on my localhost server, and it was good. I don't however use web FTP clients when something goes wrong. For instance, on my old host, for some reason the files were incorrectly CHOWNED to the server so I couldn't modify them with an ftp client. To get round that, I used a simple php file editor, which done everything I need. But, if I ever need to connect to ftp in a hurry to make a quick modification, I'll probably have another go at an online FTP client.

Some users love to upload web-based FTP clients to practice "server bridging" or another kind of hacking(sucking, because hackers are genious!!!).

I wish to know more about this stuff - not for the purpose of troubling ppl but in order to get more ``space'' for my web.

For an online web ftp, i will just use the file manager in cpanel, pretty simple to use. I definitely prefer to use programs on my computer though but there are some better online ones because they have more upload size limits, because i found that some you were only able to upload a small sized file and it took a while to find one that could upload the file i wanted.

new ftp browserFree Web-based Ftp Clients (can Use With Xisto)

PHPanywhere.Net is a real-time syntax code editor with support for all web formats and includes a powerful FTP editor. Check it out@ http://phpanywhere.net/ and let me know what you think!

-reply by ivan