xisto Community
sunny152

How To Transfer Files From One Computer To Another

Hi friends, I have two computers both having windows XP pro operating system and i have one LAN cable and i connected both computers through LAN terminals and i'm unable to transfer data from both computers.So what setting i have to make for doing this?Thanks,sunny

What you are talking about is a peer to peer lan setup

First thing to check if you are going PC to PC is that you are using a crossover RJ45 cable or it will never work

Is that what you are using ?

Hi friends,

I have two computers both having windows XP pro operating system and i have one LAN cable and i connected both computers through LAN terminals and i'm unable to transfer data from both computers.So what setting i have to make for doing this?

Thanks,

sunny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup two computers directly connected by UTP cables cannot communicate - as analyst said you need a special type of cable called CrossOver - which is essentially the same as normal UTP cable used for LAN wiring - only difference being these crossovers cables have a slightly modified wiring configuratoin. This enables the computers to talk.

If you've using a straight cable, then there's no way out other than buying yourself a hub - which is actually a better option, coz you get to connect at least 4-8 computers (cheapest hubs).

Can the computers see each other? Ie. Can you perform a ping from the one to the other? Can you view them at the network neighbourhood? And to copy files windows explorer style you need to have set the sharing permissions right. While doing this, keep securty in mind! You do not wish some fromt the internet to be able to access your files...

There are 2 types of RJ45 Cables ::

Straight -Through > The arrangement is the same for both ends.
This will be used for connecting to a hub, router, switch etc ... This by far the most common wire in the market.

Cross-Over > http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

The arrangement is best illustrated in the above link. Such a arrnagement will be needed in your case.

To get the cross over you can ask your regular PC Store .. but you MUST indicate that it is a crossover .. else you will get the straight through by default ..

If you are adventurous enough, you may wanna try to do it yourself .. but I really don't suggest that .. too troublesome ..

ALTERNATIVE ::
1) Removable devices :: CD-RW / Flash Drive / CDs .. etc
2) IR or Blue Tooth ::
3) Laplink .. (OMG .. if that still exist .. really slow ..)
4) Physically transfer the HDD
5) Upload to a G-Mail Account then download ..

.. .. well there are numerous possibilities .. depending on your porficiency

This type of connection

try this in dos:ping othercomputernameoripconfig on computer A. write down the ip addressthen on computer B: ping ipadressyouwrotedownif this works, it should work. on your network card (config. panel -> connections -> the connection you use), go properties-> in first panel, find tcp/ip in list and go for the properties button again. check if netbios or bui or something like that is installed. if so, it should work.one one computer, say computer B, rightclick on a drive, properties, sharing, and share the drive, with write-option checked.then it should work.on computer A, open "this computer and type \\ipadressofcomputerBthen you should see your shares.

Ok enough with all the rambling. hehe I like saying that.Here goesYou can make a cross cable if you can put your hands on a crimp tool and have two rj45 ends. Here is the pin connection:1-------------------22-------------------13-------------------64-------------------55-------------------46-------------------37-------------------88-------------------712345678 ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ |_______| |___|Now the next thing you need to do because you will be using TCP/IP is to setup a workgroup and ip addresses.You can use this range for your ip addresses 10.10.10.10 and 10.10.10.20.Next you have to setup a subnet mask 255.255.255.0There is no need for a gateway if you are not trying to connect to the internet via lan, but this could be 10.10.10.1The setting for all this is in the network setup for the nic cards in control panel.Oh and NETBUI is not the default network protocol in WinXp, but it could be configured to work if you don't want to use TCP/IP.

networking

How To Transfer Files From One Computer To Another

Hi

I want to set up a LAN with my pc and my laptop.I use a router which provides Internet connection.

My pc is connected via RJ45 and my laptop via wi-fi.

Both have dynamic ip address..So how can I share folders between them?

Thanks,

Ani

[My pc is connected via RJ45 and my laptop via wi-fi.Both have dynamic ip address..So how can I share folders between them?
Ani

Don't worry about the RJ45 and wifi, nor wigth the dynamic IP address, Ani, your router is in charge of that. Simply create a shared folder on each computer, and reboot both.
Then, there are several ways to see that both computers are ready to communicate.
The simplest one is the following one.
Open a CMD command line box (Start, Execute, cmd or comand).
Then type "net view" (without the quotes) and you will see the names of the computers and their sthared folders.
Then, you can type "net use * \\the_computer\the_sharared_folder_name" (without the quotes once more of course).
Hope this helped.
Yordan

Ok enough with all the rambling. hehe I like saying that.Here goesYou can make a cross cable if you can put your hands on a crimp tool and have two rj45 ends. Here is the pin connection:1-------------------22-------------------13-------------------64-------------------55-------------------46-------------------37-------------------88-------------------712345678‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ |_______||___|Now the next thing you need to do because you will be using TCP/IP is to setup a workgroup and ip addresses.You can use this range for your ip addresses 10.10.10.10 and 10.10.10.20.Next you have to setup a subnet mask 255.255.255.0There is no need for a gateway if you are not trying to connect to the internet via lan, but this could be 10.10.10.1The setting for all this is in the network setup for the nic cards in control panel.Oh and NETBUI is not the default network protocol in WinXp, but it could be configured to work if you don't want to use TCP/IP. Lol this is way to hard to under stand i dont understand any of this lol i am also trying to link 2 computers but am unable to do it lol so if any one could help i would be very very greatful lol Cheers

It's best to have a router in between the connections so that you don't have to use crossover cables, which can get really irritating. Not many people have crossover cable handy. Even for me, who have many computers in my network and have two network topologies running at the same time, I only have one crossover cable in the whole house.Fortunately, I can connect between two Macs together with a straight through cable instead of having to use a crossover.Once, you establish a connection, you just browse My Network Places on Windows XP to browse the other computer, given that the other computer has been allowed to share its resources.

If there was a router, hub, or switch, you could setup a share on the computer to shared the files between the two computers, without the need for crossover cables or file transfer USB cables.

Using jump drives is a nice way to if you have a gig or 2 that you want to transfer. I would recommend making back-ups of your files instead of file transfers from computer to computer.