xisto Community
tcave

Do Aliens Really Exist? Hot Debate! do they really exist?

I do agree with what was said above. However, sure in math its 100% certain that its impossible for there not to be life out there. But thats just math. We learned in Biology that there is a possiblity in genetics to pass on the same exact genetic makeup to the offspring, if we use math. The chance of that happening is awesomely small but its still a possibility speaking in math terms. But in Bio terms it is strictly impossible to come up with the same makeup again.I agree that there has to be other life out there and that mathematically it sounds true. But with the example above, math doesn't and can't solve everything.

Bible, like Koran and other religious books and scrolls is writen by humans. All the religions is created by humans.

In ancient times religion was "invented" for these purposes:

1) Make people believe in God (or gods) - this is one of the best way to unite them.

2) Make people not afraid of death (for better results in wars and battles - to keep warriors morale up)

3) Make people donate goods and sacrifice various animals for God (truly - for priests, that's why they always were in good social status).

Don't you see, that humans do everything they want to do: allows gay marriage; islam propagate Christians killing. And all of this is in God's name. So if we believe in Bible, there a still somewhere Moses, who get new orders from God (like gay marriage allowance) and get them down to us.

So let's forget this nice tale about Adam & Eve (and about Spiderman, Batman, Superman... :)) and start thinking clearly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First of all, the Bible was written by humans, but inspired by God, by direct revelation. True, other religions are created by humans, for their own glory and reasons, but don't get that confused with Christianity. Unlike other religions, Christianity is not defined by human standards, but by God. God has given humans free will. He will not intervene. Just because humans do something(bad) like gay marriage allowance does not mean that God supports it. Lastly, what does Adam and Eve have to do with Spiderman? :rolleyes: Your the one who needs to start thinking clearly.

For an in depth look at what i think of most religons, see http://www.christianitymeme.org/index.shtml

its all there... how the christian god evolved in the minds of humans, and how how and why it speards to other minds.

Meme's are incredable things.

God has given humans free will.

lol, dont even get me started on the Free will vs determinism debate !

Lastly, what does Adam and Eve have to do with Spiderman? rolleyes.gif Your the one who needs to start thinking clearly.

he was saying that there both very ebtertaining, but dont actually matter, or have meaning in the real world. or at-least thats my interpretation.

hey read the link, there's some great info about meme's restricting clear thought for self preservation.

In the Bible, they do not even mention the other tribes of humans that were created during the time of Adam and Eve until you hear about Cain's wife, and she is mentioned hardly in passing.

Just because something is not mentioned in detail does not mean it ceases to exist.

I do believe there are extraterrestrial beings. However, I think it is really foolish to begin a religious debate on either side based on this thinking, so I am not going to go any more in depth in to this. None of this can be known for sure, so it is absolutely pointless to call  nonbelievers, believers, or those who believe in aliens fools.

None of you are all-knowing, so do not put down your fellow man based on something you have an equal lack of proof for. It is foolish.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's no mention of other tribes, because there weren't any... yet. Adam and Eve were the first human beings. True, something may exist, but if it isn't mentioned in detail, there's no point in making a point or debate of it, like some people are doing in this thread. I would say there's more proof to the non-existence of aliens, but like you said its not worthing calling a person a fool over it.

The Bible Also clearly states that.....

So i think we can quite easily dis-credit the bible as evidence for anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All those verses( so-called contradictions) were taking out of context. If you actually posted the whole passage you would find that they were very logical.

For an in depth look at what i think of most religons, see http://www.christianitymeme.org/index.shtml

its all there... how the christian god evolved in the minds of humans, and how how and why it speards to other minds.

Meme's are incredable things.

lol, dont even get me started on the Free will vs determinism debate !

he was saying that there both very ebtertaining, but dont actually matter, or have meaning in the real world. or at-least thats my interpretation.

hey read the link, there's some great info about meme's restricting clear thought for self preservation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is the wackiest, most unsensible idealogy I have ever heard. :rolleyes: The worst part about it, was it made also these unintelligent, unrational comments without backing it up in anyway. I will laugh at it anyone who would ever believe that... :):)

p.s. I don't think ebertaining has "meaning in the real word" either, but thats just "my interpretation". I think the Biblical account of Adam and Eve makes more sense then your "great great uncle chimp"(evolution :) ).

Heh, I find it very interesting that a debate about the existence of aliens has been posed as a Christianity vs Aliens debate. First off, let me say that I am a sincere Christian, and believe the Bible to be absolutely true. However, I don't see the Bible as discounting the existence of aliens. Regardless, I think that the chance of us ever encountering aliens, if they actually exist, is very small. I know that most of you don't accept the Bible as any sort of authority, so let me give my science-based reasons.I was watching the Discovery Channel last week (yup, I love Discovery Channel) and there's this huge 'alien craze' right now since there's a message being sent out shortly to a solar system that scientists believe has a good chance of being similar to our own. However, on the particular show that I was watching, they argued that the possiblilty of us encountering aliens is much smaller than most people think. The reason for this is that the existence of animal life on earth will only make up about 10% of the earth's lifetime (from the beginning of the earth to when our sun burns out), and if evolution follows similar timescales on other planets, aliens would have to be in a similar timeframe for us to encounter each other. This greatly reduces the probability of us ever encountering aliens at all in the lifetime of our entire species. They argued this much more articulately on the show, but I'm sure you get the gist of what I'm trying to say. Yay for Discovery Channel! I wish I could get my degree by watching it =)

On the meme theory

. I will laugh at it anyone who would ever believe that..

what about the meme thory do you find so hard to understand.. ?
the nursery rhyme "humpty Dumpty" is a meme.. it is taught to children, and they are encouraged to sing it over and over, it stays within the mind for there whole life, and is passed on the the next generation.

Christianity is similar, only it attempts to change the behaviour of the hosts with threats of heaen and hell.

you say you laugh at the meme theory ?

many people would laugh at the idea of talking to an imaginary friend (Preying).

many people would laugh that fully grown addults all gather once a wek to listen to very boreing stories, from a very old book, which teach you nothing that you should know from common sence.

many poeple would laugh at the idea that such a foregiving and kind god would banish you to hell for eternal suffering and torture, simply because you dont believe !

You Believe in god, Which i suppose means you think that my soul is lost to satan, and you would be doing me a great favor by converting me to christianity.

I believe you are infected with a meme, and that meme would like ot spread to me too.

You believe that the answers to everything are in that book, and therefore aliens do not exist.

I believe that as humans, we simply dont know, and we should therefore use what we know, with logic.

Logic vs Faith.

I suppose we will never end this disscusion because i cannot accept how you can ignore logic and physical evidence.

and i suppose you dont understand how dare i argue againsed an all mighty god that could banish me to helll ???

You believe that the answers to everything are in that book

You believe all the answers are in your unexperienced, unwise and mortal mouth.
"That book" has spirtitual and historical significance to Christians. There isn't one thing in the Bible that has been proved wrong, both moraly and historically. It is one of the most reliable and oldest historical sources in existence. Even non-christian scientist, archaeologist, historians,etc use it for reference. You obviously haven't read this Book, because if you had, you would realize what a merciful and loving being God is.

many people would laugh that fully grown addults all gather once a wek to listen to very boreing stories, from a very old book, which teach you nothing that you should know from common sence.

Whats wrong with an old book? There's nothing boring about these stories, they probably just anger you, bacause you don't live the moral life taught in these stories. Common Sense! How about the Ten Commandments, that govern the whole entire Wester World. Do not kill, steal, love your neighbor as yourself,etc...
Do you find error in these commandments? Christianity is what brought justice and morality to this world.

You believe all the answers are in your unexperienced, unwise and mortal mouth.

Who was it who said "True intelligence, is th realisation that you know almost nothing".
I believe that we dont know these answers, but can only speculate on logic.
whats unwise about that ???

There isn't one thing in the Bible that has been proved wrong

That is because every time science says somthing like for example, "there were not enough humans on the ark to give a deep enough gene pool, and the resulting in-breeing would have lead to very very very poor health, and abnormality"Then the christans use an answer like.. it was gods magic.

how many fish to feed such a huge crowd ??? mathematically proven impossable...
but the christans say "it was a miracle"

how can science possably prove you wrong when you have a "get out of jail free" card called Miricles ????

Plus... cummon. Evolution !
Evidence for evolution....
1) fossiles.
2) remains of early man.
3) scientists study evolution by watching bacerica evolve in dishes.
4) selectiv breeding forcing evolution.

You obviously haven't read this Book, because if you had, you would realize what a merciful and loving being God is.

I give money to charity, ive never intentionally hurt someone, ive never stolen, klled, or anything bad i can think of...

however, i have had pre-marital sex with my girlfriend, i dont believe in god, i will never ask forgivness for my sins,because i have not commited any, and your meme cannot guilt me into thinking i have.

therefore, your god will send me to hell, to be tortured for all eternaty, in agonsising torment and pain.

along with all homosexuals, and people who were brought up as a different religon.

how petty is that !
a god that reward or punish you depending on an errelevant beliefe.

Remember... Death disease and suffering is gods punishment for the dissobediance of 2 people, for eating from the wrong tree.

what kind of sick god tests someone's faith by demainding the sacrifice of his son ???

The good things i do are motivated by my kindness,,, they are not motivated by fear of hell, or anything else.

Do you find error in these commandments?

Anyone who doesnt know murder is wrong is serverely mentally deranged. this is common sence.

You obviously haven't read this Book

as a young child i went to religous schools...
i was a friend of the son of a priest, and was frequently invited church activites.

ve not read the whole book... just parts of it that we were encouraged to study between the fun activites.

At first i believed, i was too young to question what those i trusted (school teachers and the guys running the church) told me.

fortunatly as i got older and wiser, i realised what it all was.

I have nothing againsed christians... they thought that by recruiting me at a young age, (too young to think for myself) they were saving my soul.

If there is a god, the god that you descirbe as forgiving will not torture me because i used independant thought, and decided to live by my own morrals.

I don't see any reason why there COULDN'T be aliens. After all space is so large that out of all the stars in all the galaxies, I find it hard to believe that ours is the only one that has a planet with life circling it. That sid, I find it highly unlikely that there will be anything even remotely resembling us humans out there. Evolution probably won't have worked the exact same way in any other place. So when we finanlly find aliens, they may turn out to be hyper-intelligent slime molds or something...

This thread is so interesting! I'm learning tons about science and religion that I never knew before. I'd love to post my own opinion, but I don't have time @ the mo...

Let's get the thread back on topic.

It is arrogant to think that we are the only intelligent living beings in this Universe. This self-importance is borne out of religions, and mainly the Judeo-Christian-Islam traditions.

But enough bashing of Christianity. They have their views, which they quite obviously think the highest both morally and spiritually. And after all, that is their prerogative. I personally am a Buddhist, which I consider to be a hundred-fold more moral than Christianity. Quite clearly in the Lotus Sutra (one of the last teachings the Buddha expounded) he states that he has been teaching Buddhism since time without beginning (via past lives etc) and that when he isn't here, he is somewhere else in the universe. Buddhism and Hinduism both believe in life on other planets.

The Dogon - a tribe from Mali in Africa - have baffled scientists:

The first Western scientists to visit and study the Dogon people were French anthropologists Drs Marcel Griaule and Germaine Dieterlen, who initially made contact with them in 1931, and continued to research them for the next three decades, culminating in a detailed study conducted between 1946-1950. During their work, these anthropologists documented the traditional mythology and sacred beliefs of the Dogon, which included an extraordinary body of ancient lore regarding Sirius the brilliant, far-distant Dog Star.
Their priests told them of a secret Dogon myth about the star Sirius (8.6 light years from the Earth. The priests said that Sirius had a companion star that was invisible to the human eye. They also stated that the star moved in a 50-year elliptical orbit around Sirius, that it was small and incredibly heavy, and that it rotated on its axis.

Sirius - which we now call Sirius A - was not seen through a telescope until 1862 and was not photographed until 1970.

The Dogon name for Sirius B (Po Tolo) consists of the word for star (tolo) and "po," the name of the smallest seed known to them. By this name they describe the star's smallness -- it is, they say, "the smallest thing there is."

They also claim that it is "the heaviest star," and white.

The tribe claims that Po is composed of a mysterious, super-dense metal called sagala  which, they declare, is heavier than all the iron on Earth. Not until 1926 did Western science discover that this tiny star is a white dwarf  a category of star characterised by very great density. In the case of Sirius B, astronomers have estimated that a single cubic metre of its matter weighs about 20,000 tonnes.

Many artifacts were found describing the star system, including a statue examined by Dieterlen that is at least 400 years old.

They go on to say that it has an is elliptical orbit, with Sirius A at one foci of the ellipse (as it is), that the orbital period is 50 years (the actual figure is 50.04 +/- 0.09 years), and that the star rotates on its own axis (it does). The Dogon also describe a third star in the Sirius system, called "Emme Ya" ("Sorghum Female"). In orbit around this star, they say, is a single satellite. To date, Emme Ya has not been identified by astronomers.

In addition to their knowledge of Sirius B, the Dogon mythology includes Saturn's rings, and Jupiter's four major moons. They have four calendars, for the Sun, Moon, Sirius, and Venus, and have long known that planets orbit the sun.

Dogon astronomical lore goes back at least 5000 years when they originated from near the (modern day) Suez canal, in Egypt. The Dogon say their astronomical knowledge was given to them by the Nommos, amphibious beings sent to Earth from Sirius for the benefit of mankind. The name comes from a Dogon word meaning 'to make one drink', and the Nommos are also called 'Masters of the Water', the 'Monitors', and the 'Teachers'.

The Dogon tells the legend of the Nommos, awful-looking beings who arrived in a vessel along with fire and thunder.

After they arrived here - they put out a reservoir of water onto the Earth then dove into the water.

There are references in the oral traditions, drawings and cuneiform tablets of the Dogons, to human looking beings who have feet but who are portrayed as having a large fish skin running down their bodies.

The Nommos were more fishlike than human, and had to live in water. They were saviors and spiritual guardians: "The Nommo divided his body among men to feed them; that is why it is also said that as the universe "had drunk of his body," the Nommo also made men drink. He gave all his life principles to human beings."

The Nommo was crucified and resurrected and in the future will again visit the Earth, this time in human form. Later he will assume his amphibious form and will rule the world from the waters.

Dogon mythology is known only by a number of their priests, and is a complex system of knowledge. Such carefully guarded secrets would not be divulged to friendly strangers very easily. If the star Emme Ya is eventually discovered in the Sirius system, this would give considerably weight to the Dogon's story.

The Nommos, who could live on land but dwelled mostly in the sea, were part fish, like merfolk (mermaids and mermen).

Similar creatures have been noted in other ancient civilizations -- Sumer, Babylonia's Oannes, Acadia's Ea, Sumer's Enki, and Egypt's goddess Isis.

It was from the Nommos that the Dogon claimed their knowledge of the heavens.

(Apologies for the long quote - sounds to me a lot like ET-Christianity, however, note the 5000 year history - predating most of the Bible)

The argument earlier that people wouldn't believe in aliens if it wasn't in the media is obviously flawed when you look into ancient mythology and cultures. You will find that the majority of ancient cultures believe in extraterrestrials.

If God made the universe just for us, why did he create it so big? Of course no one can answer that, apart from the stock answer "Because he did/could"

And one last thing.

God has given humans free will

If God gave people free will, why does he punish you if you do the wrong thing? That is either blackmail and/or coercion, not free will.

If God gave people free will, why does he punish you if you do the wrong thing? That is either blackmail and/or coercion, not free will.

Good point !

but im guessing the christian answer would be, that if free will didnt exist, and god chose what we all did, then no1 would be evil, and hell would be pretty empty.

about the cubic meter of mass weighing 20,000 tonnes.... in what gravitational field are we talking about ? the earth's or the stars ?

are you sure a scientist said that ? in abcence of a common value for gravity, you should measure dencity (the amount of mass per cubit meter)

I don't believe in them.As a Catholic, I extremely believe that super-natural beings don't exist.But if ever i'd see one,don't worry,I'd go ahead and tell you. That's if I'm still alive and breathing. To see is to believe man.

I believe there is life beyond earth, even though there is no proof suggesting there is. Yet, I find it hard to believe we're the only world with life on it in the universe. The universe seems too huge for us to be alone. I don't know about little green aliens but I do believe it's possible that there is intelligent life beyond our galaxy. I hope we're not alone, because it would be nice to see another species, along as they aren't hostile.

Plus... Sooner or later, our sun is going to go nova, and we will all be intergalactic asylum seekers.... (note to self: in the event or a super nova, dont expose passport to direct sunlight)lol, made myself laugh, how lame.