xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Hachi-Roku

What Linux Distro Do You Use? If you use linux post what Distro u use

Hi...I think there was some similar topics, but those were question about best distro, so usualy people posts their own distros, but I can allways speak about it :PI'm old Slacker, was trying many distros, but no one was able to give me what Slack does, so... Slackware... Even my own Penguin (this one from my avathar) that I'm using on all Linux related things is called Slacklock Holmes :P

i use SuSE 9.2 YAY but dont be afraid to try another distro and there is more of a choice out there just make sure you use another computer that you dont mind loosing stuff on it or another hard drive that you can boot off and make sure you unplug the one with windows on it as i found out linux seems to like windows a little too much that it smoothers it and i cant get my windows back up again or a partition table would be missplaced all sorts of errors when windows and linux collide... well that kinda defeats the dot be afraid but hey ..... doh well any was inportant thing is have fun and there are many (many * googleplex) ppl out there willing to help an n00b like me and you YAY!!

Doh also forgot to mention live linux version that you dont need to intall it here is my fav
Puppy linux:
* Puppy will boot off a minimum PC with 586 CPU and 32M RAM.
* Puppy will easily install to USB, Zip or hard drive media.
* Booting from CD, Puppy will load totally into RAM so that the CD drive is then free for other purposes.
* Booting from USB, Puppy will greatly minimise writes, to extend the life of Flash devices indefinitely.
* Puppy will be extremely friendly for Linux newbies.
* Puppy will boot up and run extraordinarily fast.
* Puppy will have all the applications needed for daily use.
* Puppy will just work, no hassles.
also it is great if you have a cd burner you can install programs directly on the cd or if you have a cd-rw you can unintall stuff it is great stuff i would give it a look over

I'm new to linux. Right now I'm using SuSE 9.2. I think after I've explored it for awhile I'll switch and try out another one. I was worried when I began using linux that it would take a long time for me to figure anything out, but actually it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. It really wasn't that different from Windows, on the surface at least.Puppy linux sounds really cool. I'll have to check it out sometime.

i am also new to linux :rolleyes: although i have have several versions i have only used one or two of them...personally i think that mandrake is great...i love the look and the feel of it...but that is just my opinion considering that i have only used mandrake 10, suse 9.0, and red hat 9.0 professional...

I've stayed loyal to Red Hat, that I have been running it for years, although I did try other distributions and am still trying them when I can, I can not turn away from Fedora.Although what I like from a distribution is not really it's look and feel, pretty much it's just the tools, and since the tools are available across most distributions that any Linux distribution would be ok for me. RH/Fedora use to be known for being bleeding edge though when it came to software and updates, but now all Linux distributions have gotten this way.Gentoo is nice too, but quite a lot of configuring, especially if you want a system out of the box straight away, but I wouldn't go pass it without trying it.Cheers,MC

I use SuSE 9.3 Pro and I must say that I love it. The fact that it can't play DivX/XviD/DVD out-of-the-box is a bummer, but neither can any other distro. Patent laws suck while they cripple products like that...

Right now, I'm using the Novell Linux Desktop 9, which I believe is SuSE 9.1. I'm hoping to get a faster internet connection, so I can download different distros. Is there any other easy-to-use distros out there that I can download?

I am another of those that just has to keep Red Hat around and I use it most often. I like to have SUSE, but My Suse Machine running SuSE 9.1 and my other linux box is using Red Hat Fedora 2

Fedora forever...I have no experience with other distributions and now I don't want to have. Fedora gives everything I need for my work and hobbies. Soon I'll also install it on my notebook - once they agree to sell it without the operating system...I don't feel like paying 0.2k$ or more for a resource hog OS.