xisto Community
thaichatham

Full List Of "Must Have" Softwares For Your System from spyware to settings

Yep, FF is cool

Though without a firewall u can get infected by a worm in less than 10secs. That is the most essetial thing needed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well...maybe I was exaggerating a bit, but none the less...it's important. AdAware and Spybot S&D only remove spyware and adware, firefox actually prevents them from being on your system.

I use1. Mcafee Antivirus with AVG Free/Avast Free. Kaspersky and NOD32 are also good2. Zone Alarm Free3. Ad Aware, Spybot, Webroot Spysweeper, Hijack This!, CWShredder, and Firefox, CCleaner, Easy Cleanerregedit and msconfig can do only so little to tune a computer.

Personally I don't have a single program from your "must have's". :P My PC is running perfectly without them.

I use:

1) Norton System Works Professional 2005

2) Spybot S&D

3) Built-in Windows XP firewall (SP2)

4) regedit.exe

5) msconfig.exe

6) My brains :P

That's all I need to keep my PC running...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK THAT made me PUKE WHY SP2 WHY ??? SP2 SUCKS never use it get AVG not norton because AVG WORKS. :P (Sorry for spazing but I HATE service pack 2 it made Windows worse than it already is. And norton is usless, its better to keep a virus in your computer than use Norton (I've had more customers that have problems with norton than ANYTHING else, so far I have had to fix 10-20 computers because of Norton, Not that bad since I get paid alot from fixing those errors since they usually take me 5-10 hours and at 20 bucks an hour it pays off verry quick) :P

yeah...firewalls, virus protection...blah...i never use them, well at least not that often...but sp2 sucks...slows computer down majorly and doesnt work very well to begin with....once in a while i will run windows defrag but it sux and i will use adaware every now and then, but it usually leaves junk behind.... but thas all windows junk...my laptop is dual booted with windows...and linux and of course linux is much better :P (mandrake linux 10 is what i have installed) it has never given me any problems and i love the interface...one thing that i have found to speed my computer up is to set the max and min virtual ram to the same...if you have them set to different numbers (which windows has defualted to min=64 max=512 - i think) then the processor is always jumbling around between settings...if you make them the same...processor runs more smoothly and is always set and doesnt have to find what is right for your computer at the moment...

YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK THAT made me PUKE WHY SP2 WHY ??? SP2 SUCKS never use it get AVG not norton because AVG WORKS. :P (Sorry for spazing but I HATE service pack 2 it made Windows worse than it already is. And norton is usless, its better to keep a virus in your computer than use Norton (I've had more customers that have problems with norton than ANYTHING else, so far I have had to fix 10-20 computers because of Norton, Not that bad since I get paid alot from fixing those errors since they usually take me 5-10 hours and at 20 bucks an hour it pays off verry quick) :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you go into more detail on why you had to fix Norton. I have been running both SystemWorks and Internet Security for years and have not had any problems. As I see it, as long as you keep your programs up to date you should be fine. The one grip I do have about Norton is in the Internet Security. A user should have better control over the firewall rules. Such as manually editing an ACL list.

You have a very substantial list but when it comes down to it all you genuinly need is:* Window service pack 2 and all updates that have come since then.This is becuase you have to patch up your computer to all the virusses and trojans that are floting aroung the internet and with Service Pack 2 there are especially strong tools for you to do just that*FirewallThe one that comes with Service Pack II is accepptable but you may want to get an external one. Norton is expensive but there are free alteratives, the most prominant one being Zonealarm*AntivirusMicrosoft are making one of these but there is already a great free one called AVG which is free for personal use and has free scans and updates for life. I personally trust this to handle my computer but if you are not as liberal as me you may want to get a commercial one.*AntispywareThere is also a microsoft anti-spyware but also a great number of free ones. The most obvious are Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy but my personal favourite one is as the original poster mentioned, Webroot, which finds so much more than the others.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi person that stole my Hexxagon trophy :P

Service packs are only released once a year so it's a good idea to take the opportunity and update your machine. It does fix all the exploits and I don't see why anyone wouldn't want it.

lol OMG I have like 5 different adware programs. 10 spyware things3 firewallsand some moreSlows my comp down so much so its really really annoying. SP2 doesnt slow comp down to much, just a tad. But then again I delete my temp internet files and cookies like every 30 min.

Antispyware:Spybot - Search & DestoryLavasoft Ad-Aware SEHijack This <-don't use without prior knowledge with computers cause it screws things upFirewall:There are free ones out there but I recommend Norton Personal FirewallAntivirus:Again online scans might work and there are free ones but Norton come out on top ;DUmm either that or use a mac, there are like almost zero exploits for it

Hi person that stole my Hexxagon trophy  :P

Service packs are only released once a year so it's a good idea to take the opportunity and update your machine. It does fix all the exploits and I don't see why anyone wouldn't want it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

in more polite and helpful terms, what he's trying to say is that SP2 has a history of REALLY messing up pc's in some situations. if your computer still works with it installed, thats great, but just know that you gambled and won. I have quite a few friends who just installed it with out thinking or reading about it and it caused them to have to reformat their harddrives and do a new windows install.

Thats not the least of the SP2 problems, SP2 Has a hudge bug that causes most PC games, and game makers to be choppier, worse graphics, and most of all you get window wall in fps games (Window wall is a glitch that SP2 causes, it makes it so you can see through walls which also makes you not be able to see them when your playing games like that). Not to mention Iamrockandroll is very correct with all of what he/she (sorry don't know :P) had said, it causes windows to be alot more unstable alot of times on non Intel Cpu's (I know out of all of the AMD Cpu's I use one was able to comply with SP2. that was my worst one.

Personally I don't have a single program from your "must have's". :P My PC is running perfectly without them.

I use:

1) Norton System Works Professional 2005

2) Spybot S&D

3) Built-in Windows XP firewall (SP2)

4) regedit.exe

5) msconfig.exe

6) My brains :P

That's all I need to keep my PC running...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had an older version of Norton and didn't want to pay because I wasn't impressed and the older was causing problems so removed it. Spybot S&D is great and add to that "Hijack This". Built in firewall is great if you want something trouble free, invisible and useless. Replace that with zonealarm. Regedit.exe is an absolute must. Get used to using this. You can back up portions you are not sure about, before removing them. msconfig.exe one is the best early warning systems, since the startup list is usually the first thing that malware and worms try to modify. If I am worried I check this right away and feel a lot better when it is clean. Brains+Google = Absolute Power.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The windows updates seem to work great when you first install or you reinstall windows XP from scratch. But progressive updates are pain because they pile up like the neverending growth of law, beaurocracy, landfills and medical charges on hospital bills. I use a removable hard drive system for my system drive so I can switch operating systems. It also allows me to compare different installs of XP, and the differences in what windows updates are added by the automatic download system is amazing. I guess that a major flaw in the system is that it only installs new updates when it really needs to replace bad and obsolete updates as well.

I will enter some must-haves and almost must-haves for router-based home wireless networks, since some people are very sloppy about them, and they are very often hacked.1. Optional - change the router's default adminitrator user name.2. Must-have - Add a password to the administrator account. The default password is almost certainly blank.3. Must-have - Change the default network name in the router.4. Must-have - Set a security key. If you want to, you can set the client machines to automatically get the key from the router.5. Must-have - Set the router to only accept MAC addresses which you explicitly enter.6. Optional - Since WiFi has a very short range, I have read that you should position the router far from windows and outer walls, if it's convenient.7. Optional - You may or may not want to set you router not to broadcast its network name.Thanks.Cassy.