xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vagodeoz

Classical Metal

In case you don't know, there are some awesome metal bands that mix metal music with classical music. (Hang on, don't get scared by the word metal).
My favorite one is called Therion. For the recording of their last cd they used 170 guest musicians: An orchestra,a full choir... they even recorded some parts with a real church organ.
Well you should try them. You can get some mp3 on their websites.

Therion The band I just talked about.

Rhapsody Another great band. Their lyrics are about a story based on the Tolkien universe. For their last album they had as guest narrator Christopher Lee (yup, the actor)

Haggard Another very interesting band. The band itself are 18 (!) musicians. And they all go on tours. That includes a small orchestra and some lyrical singers.

Lacrimosa Ok. You HAVE to check this band. Too bad they don't have any sound samples on their website, but you can try getting a song from a p2p program. Try their last 2 albums (Echoes and Fassade)

Ayreon This is not a band, but a project. You ever heard of Pink Floyd's The wall?. Well, that's a rock opera. This one, is a metal opera, and many people have compared it with Pink Floyd's in quality. You really have to check this one out.

I guess those are the more "listenable" =) bands. Also you could try Symphony X Another great band but a little less "listenable".

Ok, I guess that's it.
Check them out and post your opinions please, I'm really interested in what normal people (non metalheads:) ) think about them.
See ya.

Mmm...I really like the classical/metal combination a lot. One of my favourites is Apocalyptica. They are all classically trained cello players, and they play metal songs (among other things) on their cellos, they're probably most famous for their Metallica covers. I also really like their cover of 'Refuse/Resist' by Sepultura. As well, their original compositions are fantastic. If you haven't checked them out yet, I highly recommend them.

Hi...also remember Savatage and their alter ego - Trans Siberian Orchestra... first - Savatage made many graet concept albums like Streets, Dead Winter Dead, Wake of the Magellan and Maorphine Child (all four just graet... rock/metal with classical sound) but Trans Siberian Orchestra - especialy Beethovens last night - this is full opera, ready to play... slited into roles... just as graet as it can be... my favorite :rolleyes:

If you enjoy classical music, as well as rock, you might want to look up "Mattrach" on youtube. He covers several classical songs on electric guitar, except in a "modern" style. Some of his best are "Amadeus Rock" (Turkish March, or Ronda a la Turca) and "Canon Rock" (Pachabel's Canon in D).Enjoy :).

The only one I know is Apocalyptica and I like their songs :P . So I'm realy going to check out the other bands. Thanks for the info :)

Hi...
also remember Savatage and their alter ego - Trans Siberian Orchestra... first - Savatage made many graet concept albums like Streets, Dead Winter Dead, Wake of the Magellan and Maorphine Child (all four just graet... rock/metal with classical sound) but Trans Siberian Orchestra - especialy Beethovens last night - this is full opera, ready to play... slited into roles... just as graet as it can be... my favorite :)

I agree 100%. Trans-Siberian Orchestra is my favourite symphonic metal group. My favourite symphonic metal BAND would have to be Kamelot. Their song Ghost Opera (which has a music video) is a great example of it.

Symphonic Orchestra

Classical Metal

I have a DVD of Metallica playing their songs with a symphonic orchestra.

It's really good. Check it out, maybe you like it

-reply by GmodBrugge

Check out these bands as well.Classical Metal

There is a bunch of great stuff out there.  I started with Savatage/TSO and got hooked on a ton of other great bands like Avantasia, Freedom Call, Fairyland, Kamelot and even some of the later Blind Guardian.  The 2 Blind Guardian to check out are Nightfall in middle earth and A night at the opera.  If you love Symphonic and classical metal, check out these great bands.

-reply by Speshal K