xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NilsC

Create A Banner... Comments Go Here

NilsC, because gif is supported by more browsers without plugins than flash, I've been working on animated gifs for you. However, this is taking to long, so I'm going to do them in flash so I can them post them here(If I can ever get flash to do what I want, arrrgghhhh, fill can never works). I'm then going to finish the gifs, and since Spring Break is next week, I will have the gifs done by contest deadline as well, you may use whichever you want. Also, szupie, I still think you should make the gray text in the vertical banner a litlle lighter so it is readable.

Also, szupie, I still think you should make the gray text in the vertical banner a litlle lighter so it is readable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm... I was trying to go for a more professional look, with words that are subtle instead of flashy, distractive and annoying. I'll reply to the contest post with that version, see if you like it. :)

Much better szupie, the words being subtle was pointless if they were unreadable. Now they are still subtle, but readable.l337 Nurse Pedestrian- The banner is noce, although a might simplistic. I would keep working on it.To everyone else, I'm offering out helpful suggestions, so if you want to know how something looks, I'd love to take a look and offer constructive criticism. I'd appreciate it if when I get my first banner ideas up, someone would be willing to do the same. And if you have submitted a design, don't forget to keep track of the designs at Xisto. Look at all designs being submitted, learn from them, and then change your old one or make a new one. But always keep every version you make, just in case OpaQue likes an older version better.

Take your time, we should decide after april 1 or 15 not sure yet. I depends on the amount of entries. many entries, longer time :)The more cross browser support, the better. Remember I don't do any graphics so I'm no use to answer this :(Nils

Hmm, l337 Nurse Pedestrian, isn't that taken from a screenshot of Xisto - Web Hosting's homepage?Ok, I read the submitions on Xisto, and they were all based on the theme of the Xisto - Web Hosting site too. Hmm, was I supposed to do that also? Oops.

It doesn't matter if you take from the Xisto - Web Hosting site or not. I'm doing one that is from and one that isn't. And yours are really cool; I think you have a good chance of winning. And besides, the blue one at Xisto isn't from the site.

Did you mean the first one with the blue text or the second one with the blue background? The latter (I just felt like using that word, no reason) one had that ribbon thing taken from Xisto - Web Hosting, just a simple photoshop job (one with not much quality, I'd say...). The text effect was also taken from one of the ads of Xisto - Web Hosting, but which ad it was escapes my mind. The first one on Xisto was original, but the text was kinda unreadable. Its background was nice, though.

I meant the latter, and I like yours better. I just wanted to point out that you weren't the only one who was doing original work. And since you use flash, do you know how to squash all of the layers into one layer?

I think that would be good. And the more different kinds of banners, the better a selection OpaQue will have. Because the real reason to enter ths contest is not for the credits, they can be gained easily enough. It's to keep enough money flowing into Xisto - Web Hosting that Xisto can afford to keep Xisto and Xisto running. Plus, if we get lucky, Opaque may select one of each kind to add more variety accross the web. I know if every site I went to had the same add for a company, I would think less of that company than if they varied the adds.

Squashing all the layers? All you have to do is select all the stuff on one layer, cut it, and paste in the same place (ctrl+shift+v) on the other layer. I don't know any quicker way to do this. If you do so, Tweens won't work properly though.An art one might be good. It could make a good impression to customers, making them think that this host is unique.

THe reason I want to squash the image is to make an animated gif. I could then copy each image into another graphics editor and save as an animated gif. That way, OpaQue gets the low byte cost and availabilty to more people benefits of animated gifs, and I get the benfit of less work. :)

Everyone's so 3D and flash and animated. O_o. I was thinking of doing an artsy one. O_o. Would it be very odd?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, it's a way for everyone to come up with theit own ideas, artsy may be what works. This is meant as way for everyone to express what they know and like to do, the only constraints I know are the sizes we gave. Nobody say it has to be animated.

We are looking into originality and professional looking work :)

Nils