xisto Community
pedro1405241472

The Best Database databases

MySQL from version 5 onwards does support Stored Procedures. (Its already out as a developer version - but not a stable release yet)...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll confirm on that also... MySQL 5 now acts like ORACLE and it now have most of the capability that ORACLE have.

I am using that as of now and I am proud that I have save at least 30% of coding time and gain at least 25% or so of speed boost from the same program that we are developing.

We also managed to have a greater connection pool and believed it or not, our MySQL server is fully operational and is just installed on a pentium II pc with 256 mB memory using a red hat linux console mode.

Those other databases wont even get installed on a pentium II 300 that we are currently using now.

All right, Mysql is free and open source, but when you need help or take out a doubt with the support who's gonna help you as faster as possible ?In my opinion ORACLE is the best ofbecause it's faster than MySQLyou can administrate it and programming for any kind of troublesEven Though you need a wide space you can set how much you´re gonna use, different than Mysqland the most important thing the support is 24x7

All right, Mysql is free and open source, but when you need help or take out a doubt with the support who's gonna help you as faster as possible ?

In my opinion ORACLE is the best of

because it's faster than MySQL

you can administrate it and programming for any kind of troubles

Even Though you need a wide space you can set how much you´re gonna use, different than Mysql

and the most important thing the support is 24x7

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

mySQL also have a 24/7 support but all of the people here is talking about the free database. What you pay in mySQL is the support.

The developers and a lot of third parties can give you the support that you need on any time that you want. Just pay them or in case for mySQL main site, subscribe to the support features that they have. They also install the software for you as part of the support.

Unlike in ORACLE, support in mySQL is optional. Thay makes the software free.

ORACLE needs a faster and bigger pc unlike a mySQL minimal system requirements.

The thing that makes mySQL popular is the portability it offers. It is also known that even if you have a super fast database server but you load it with a bad database design.. the server can literally crawl..

I have never worked on MySQL but by reading the post of members it seems that it is really a worth to try it. I have learned Oracle in my Masters in Computers but I feel that Oracle is not much user friendly. Now I am working on MS SQL Server and I like working on it. It is very easy to use and the in built help is very good like any other Microsoft products. I like the StoredProcedures and User Functions in it. These two helps me a lot in solving a lot of difficult queries. So SQL Server is best for me but I will give a try to MySQL soon.

It would have to be MySQL cause it is free and you almost always refer to PHP and MySQL together, they work quite well together, and my thought is if something is free that doesn't mean it is a piece of junk, take XAMPP or Apache server or the HTML Kit editor (more than just HTML) MySQL, PHP, Linux and the list could go on. I have used the trial versions of some software and found that after a while it was just as good to have the free stuff that is out there. Too many people spend alot of time developing programs and systems that are free just for the challange.It is FREE that excites ME...and even if there are some shortcoming or some features that a free product lacks it is hard to beat the price.

recently ive noticed some web-based database services, like web-based intranets and stuff like that. you dont have to program at all. do you think that these kinds of (web-based) services will replace handmade databases someday?

recently ive noticed some web-based database services, like web-based intranets and stuff like that. you dont have to program at all. do you think that these kinds of (web-based) services will replace handmade databases someday?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you mean by handmade databases? These web-interfaces anyways use the same "hand-made" commands behind the screens to manipulate those "hand-made" databases. The interface itself makes it easier for you to manipulate by providing you with icons for various common tasks and thus eliminates the need to type out the "hand-made" commands yourself :lol: The so-called "hand-made" databases won't ever go out of existence - coz every piece of software that you see around is completely coded with those "hand-made" commands using "hand-made" languages :lol: So whatever inteface you might be using (which is also hand-made), the underlying instructions will always be in the "hand-made" syntax.

That - my Frand is the Hand of God (sic.)

P.S. Sorry about the pathetic jokes.. I just woke up feeling my IQ has taken a dip by -400.

Yeah, MySQL is probably the best database program on he market. It doesn't have the fancy features that some of he big commercial programs have, but for most web-based uses, that's actually a GOOD thing. I've heard some nice things about Firebird, though.

If you search the answer to this question on the web, you will find followint answer. I do not exactly remember the terms but you may find the text on the site of the people who are writing TikiPro, the TikiWiki version for PostgreSQL (instead of MySQL).

The guy made a comparison: Oracle is a Hummer (you can what you want, when you want), PostgreSQL a Mercedes (a good and reliable tool) and MySQL a WV -- do not remember the english name -- (a simple car).

With MySQL there is no problem to run an application. It is far better than flat files, even XML files. But you still do not have some features available in the other RDBMS.

But it is not a problem when you do not need them, isn'it?

Personally, I know very well Oracle but do not have the money for it. So I am using PostgreSQL on Windows. That's my choice and it is not the best choice in terms of freedom: a lot of open source packages are stick to MySQL. But I feel better: I do not have to find out which MySQL client version is compatible with the installed PHP version... I still have a MySQL DB running but do not have to do much with it.

I just would like to say something very important. When you develop against MySQL, try to write your SQL without using all the MySQL specialities. I you miss this point, that will be a long process to prepare your application for an another DB. That's the danger with MySQL. Look at the Drupal CMS: they still have problems with this conversion

I use MySql, ORACLE and MSSQL and all three outsmart each other in some attributes

For me The best database is rated as below.

Rating done on the basis of easy to use

MySQL

ORACLE

MSSQL

Rating done on the basis of stability and data security

ORACLE

MSSQL

MySQL

Rating done on the basis of easy to maintain

MySQL

MSSQL

ORACLE

Rating done on Response on Application Development

MSSQL

ORACLE

MySQL

Rating done on Response on Web Development on Remote Server

MySQL

ORACLE

MSSQL

When it comes on developing software... there is no compromise in security hence ORACLE is better than others. But when it comes for web development MySQL has faster response time than other...

I love them both (MySQL and ORACLE). I used to use MSSQL but I replace it with ORACLE. Moreover I learnt my first Lesson of DBMS on MSSSQL...

MySQL from version 5 onwards does support Stored Procedures. (Its already out as a developer version - but not a stable release yet)...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Taken from MySQL.org

The following features are implemented in MySQL 5.0.

BIT Data Type

Cursors: Elementary support

Data Dictionary (Information Schema)

Instance Manager: Can be used to start and stop the MySQL Server, even from a remote host

Precision Math

Stored Procedures

Strict Mode and Standard Error Handling

Triggers

VARCHAR Data Type: True VARCHAR support. Maximum effective length of VARCHAR is 65,532 bytes now, and no stripping of trailing whitespace occurs.

Views:

I have only use MySQL, however I researched all the free database servers I could find before making that decision. Here's the reasons why I chose MySQL, in order of importance to me:1) Integration with PHP. The PHP MySQL interface is compiled into the Windows binary distrobution, and enabled by default. Futhermore, the interface is fully documented within the PHP documentation.2) Excelent documentation. The MySQL documentation is available in many formats, and a wide variaty of languages. Not only that, the documentation is quite comprehensive, pointing out issues and variances between different versions. Also, it contains a full referance of the SQL syntax itself, complete with MySQL version comparison.3) Speed and reliability. Just about every review I read of MySQL said it was the fastest and most stable free database server available. In practice, I have never had a single problem with stability. I really can't say anything about speed, as I've never used it to deal with databases any larger than a few dozen megs.4) It's open source software. I am a supporter of the open source movement, and use open source software whenever it is a vaiable option (I would like to point out that I do not use an open source OS, I do infact run Windows NT-based OSes).That's my two cents anyhowQBRADQ