xisto Community
pedro1405241472

The Best Database databases

I'm a complete newb to PHP and databases, and I'll have to say that MySQL has been easy to use, clean, efficient, and it works. That's more than I can say for PHP when I tried to set it up with Apache on Windows.

MySQL is quite powerful for a scripting language that has only ten or so commands. I recommend it to any newbs out there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You should have tried XAMPP...before I found Traid or many other programs that installed Apache MySQL and PHP and it took me two weeks with reference matierial at hand with limited time on my hands I downloaded XAMPP and have never gone back to manually installing Apache with MySQL, PHP, PERL, TOMCAT, FileZilla, Mercury Mail, and even more! Just do a google or any search for XAMPP and try it out a minimum download of 23MEG but worth it!

MySQL is excellent .. fairly easy to learn and fits in perfectly with PHP. For web based stuff I'd definitely say MySQL. However, in the office I work at we do a lot of Access based database stuff. All our Order Management is done through that, and it works pretty well. I have a decent background in Visual Basic, which is what Access uses to write macros and whatnot, so that helps a lot. I think for commercial purposes Access is pretty slick, at least for small business.

MySql are the best type of databases in my opinion, but you need a good host. If you ahve just any host, a MySql database can be as "crappy" as any other database, when you find a very good host like Xisto, the MySql databases are very good and will never crash on you!

If I am going to use a database online for say a CMS where there are more visitors and less updating (more select queries than anything else) then MySQL is my first choice.If I am developing something inhouse, like for accounting, where data intergrity and features are needed in place of speed, then PostgeSQl is usually my top choice. ALthough working with pgSQL isn't as bad as it was five years ago. Also, if I am going to run an online browser-based game (like Promisance or Merchant Empires) I'd choose pgSQL. I was in the middle of porting Promisance to pgSQL after having some serious database issues with tables corrupting when Real Life® interuppted. In other cases, even Access may be the best choice. When that case may arise, I'm not sure. I'd take a well written PERL script and CSV file before Access anyday, but...

Your question could be posed in some detailed manner. ie which is the best indutrsy level DBMS or which is the best OSS DBMS or which is the easiest to learn/usei see alot of MySql fans here..count me one too. But PGSQL is also good. Industry standard DBMS is ofcourse Oracle. Orcale experience counts alot when u apply for a job. Do give Oracle a try ..they have free evalutaion versions available.

My sql is definetly the bestttt!~@!@!@!@

MySQL is not the best. It does great for most people, but it's not very well suited to the two types environments it might be used in.

Easy quick and dirty database.

SQLite is much faster and better suited to a quick, dirty, easy database environment.

Big mission critical production environment

You're better off with PostgreSQL, or a commercial database like SQL Server or Oracle.

mysql is the best by far.. simple and easy to use.. most of installable scripts are available in mysql. also mysql is opensource and has a huge community of users to help you out (that is if you have somehow got some problem.. which doesn't happen very often with mysql)..slightly of topic.. but i feel that sometimes guys use mysql databases to often when its not required... even storing data in text files is good for small scripts like polls, guestbooks, etc. but for bigger applications, its better to use mysql.

MySQL?Who doesn't know that name? MySQL is TBOS-DET - TheB - BestO - OpenS - SourceD - DatabaseE - EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MySQL is going to be ENTERPRISE!, Why still use ....? :P