xisto Community

Bryce is a very ideal 3d modeling program for beginners. You could create and edit 3d landscapes terrains and artworks here in a breeze. Bryce though isnt actually a figure or modelling software.

I also used symetry... but remember about such thing like putting it under meshsmooth... I also heard (not confirmed) that it is useful to put betwean symetry and meshsmooth a turn to poly... so modifier stack would look like this:Mesh SmoothTurn to polySymetrEditable Mesh / Poly / Whatever :)probably you would get slight better result, at symetry line, if not, just pull back some points and it would look a lot better... just don't move them in other axis, but for sure you already know that :(

After I've gotten a little bit done on one half of the face, I apply a meshsmooth modifier to it and just copy one half of the face as an instance and mirror it. I weld the two halves together vertex by vertex down the middle after it looks how I want it to.

I enjoy being tedious. :P

Ive got the open source program Blender and such but im at a total loss of knowledge on how to use it.

I would like to do small animations, maybe an minute or two long in 3D, hell maybe make a crappy little series but I dunno how to do work like that. Ive never tried before, Ive always focused on coding things but dont understand graphics, so is it easy after a while?

Notice from microscopic^earthling:
Wrong forum. Moved to Software > Graphics Design

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my brother learnd Blender In just a month. I know, It seems a loong time, but for a month you can learn it very very good. Just google for some blender tutorials (there are plenty on internet for free...) and start reading them, soon you will crack the idea about blender and how it works, I can't really tell you how it's best way to start up with blender, But I can tell you I learned 3dsmax in just a 2 weeks, not entirely ofcourse but enough to get me started with 3d stuff. So get the tutorials and help documents, and kickit. :P

I would highly recommend the 3D software I am currently using which is 3D Studio MAX by Autodesk\Discreet.It is a leader in the modeling and animation market, and it is a one stop application for most if not all of the operations you'll need to do.The recent update, version 7.5, added Joe's Haircut and a Shave hair system as well as an improved version of Mental Rays, a previous update also added an enhanced cloth simulation addon.Please be aware that 3D Studio MAX is a professional software, and you can not expect to simply jump into the world of 3D right after launching it, it takes a long time to learn how to create in a three dimensional world and gain enough experience before moving on to large scale projects.You can check out my portfolio (in my signature) for some work done with MAX, bare in mind that it is not complete yet, at the moment I have just one animation and one model there as I did not have enough free time to add everything yet.

The 3D modeling program I use, is called Blender. It is a free, open source (now) program and I've run it on both Windows and Linux alike. It runs fast and relaibly on both OS's and is my personal favorite right now. Also has a nice game engine, and a big community full or tutorials and tips. I'm pretty sure there is a free online manual for it.. I've used it and learned how to make a gingerbread man (buttons, textures, and all) and animate him within 30 mins... Very useful for animations, mini-games, 3D layouts, etc.. I've seen some very beautiful pics made from Blender. Also has a rendering plugin for more realistic rendering that you can get from it's site.

https://www.blender.org/

Give it a try!'
Good luck!

I gave Blender a go for about 5 minutes too... but then I was short on time (well I still am) and sort of lost interest... At present though... really keen on getting all the info about the various 3D modelling software that is out there... Blender is still an option... but as soon as I get my Oomp fixed... it'll be onl linux... so if anyone knows about an easy to learn yet full featured 3D modelling and animation software... I'm all ears... I've heard about 3D Max... it is frightfully expensive... don't know exactly how much though... I'll look out for Milkshape though... and gicve it a shot... Rashid Ahmed

Blender is good and bad because it is free. Although it is free, it lacks a lot of features that other 3d packages like maya has. For instance, blender's animation package is mush less sophisticated than maya's. If you want to pursue your idea as a hobby, blender is more than enough, but if you are one of those people who has a very specific aethestic vision, you might be better off learning maya. P.S Blender does has a very sophisticated UV mapping feature that facilitates the mapping of organic surfaces.

3ds max is preety neat..its awesome and has tons of tutorials online..i mean if u buy a dvd tutorial you can be like a pro in seconds haha.its awesome..its for pro but you can understand it really easy..you just gotta know where everything is and after that you can manage to work on your project faster and easier

why not try out something like Carrara or Raydream by Corel both are relatively cheep around $300 its can get cheaper depending on the version but its simple to use and has allot of great features its user friendly and has great tutorials for beginners. It’s my personal favorite used it since i started.Ray dream is a Corel 3D editor its old and out dated and doesn’t support animation every well and is a bit hard to use but i think it might be free now i think Corel abandon it. So you might want to give that a go or ever cararra.Here are the links to carrara:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ might have to look around for raydream like i said its ooollllldddd.

Some commercial programs, like former Alias Maya (now Autodesk) offer trial or educational versions, which you can use with some restrictions like watermark for example.There are a lot of paid 3d programs, like Maya, 3dsMax, Lighwave, Cinema4d... Blender is a free program.Normally 3d programs are very expensive... Maya for example costs a lot of thousand dollars.Rgdstuba3d

BLENDER3D Modeling

Blender is very hard to use at the start, I'm not a pro or anything and I'm only 16 but you will get used to it. The main things to help you get used to it:

Use Right Click.

Use "object" instead of "editing"

reply by JacK