xisto Community
flippys

Server Os Whats the best?

Server Operating Systems.....
FreeBSD is a great all round free and open ServerOS.
OpenBSD is a super paranoid securety free and open Server OS
Linux is the Cool guys Server OS (free and open)
Solaris is most used Commercial Server OS... (and was recently made free under certian conditions, not sure, see the homepage)

If you are comfortable with Unix, i would go for FreeBSD (or if you need an insane amount of securetyy, OpenBSD)

if you are new to the Unix world, i would go for Linux, not because its any easyer, but its usually much easyer to find help on forums for Linu than it is for BSD UNIX or Solaris.

And ofcourse, these always windows Server.
the only one that isnt free, and has a very bad reputation as far as securety is concerned.

qwijibow root # ftp ftp.qwijibow.astahost.comConnected to ftp.qwijibow.astahost.com.220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------220-You are user number 6 of 50 allowed.220-Local time is now 07:33. Server port: 21.220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.Name (ftp.qwijibow.astahost.com:chris): qwijibow500 This security scheme is not implementedSSL not available331 User qwijibow OK. Password requiredPassword:230-User qwijibow has group access to:  qwijibow230 OK. Current restricted directory is /Remote system type is UNIX.                                          <<---      EDIT.... read this line Using binary mode to transfer files.ftp> bye221-Goodbye. You uploaded 0 and downloaded 0 kbytes.

so probably not linux, maybe FreeBSD / Solaris ???
definatly apache http server. look http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Xisto runs Linux as its server operating system. The FTP would say that it is running UNIX because Linux is a UNIX-like operating system.

As for recommending a server operating system, I would recommend Linux. I run FreeBSD on my home server for college use.

xboxrulz

I'd recommend CentOS.

It has the stability and security of Redhat Enterprise with the price of Fedora.

Windows will never measure if what you need is a server OS. It is easy to setup but stability is of utmost importance which it doesn't have!
Ease of installation by the way has greatly improved with Linux.

Sorry i'm kind of biased but when there's too many programs or codes running in your server, there's too many chances for it to bog down. Not even considering the chances for it to get a virus and the crappy codes it has!

Downtime costs money!

You may also consider Ubuntu Server if you like the Debian flavor.

I would have to agree. I see a lot of web host companys using redhat which I think is one of the better os's for webhost but I don't think its free. But it depends on what exactly your looking for. If this host is going to be more of a private host, you really don't need to much security since there won't be much traffic/random people visiting.

An Server is just secure if the user knows what to do.

I run an Windows Server (2003 Datacenter) cause I always was an Windows user and I do not have the know-how for an unix System. I'm sure that Unix is the system with more security, but just if u know how to configure. For myself Windows is the secure one cause I know what to do there.

Means: A System is just as secure as the users know-how!

Sorry for my bad english :)

-reply by Berndi

Ok for servers a Unix or Linux system is a must windows servers are horrible. No stability and their resource usage is atrocious, for the same amount of traffic that would take 100 windows powered systems you could power it by 30 Linux systems, that is no joke.....

And as for the second post in this forum... if you want full commercial support, you actually have a couple of very good choices in the Linux world, RHEL which red hat enterprise Linux or Ubuntu Linux which is sponsored by Canonical.

Ubuntu these days is seeing more and more use as a main stream server due to it's ease of use and LTS stability and it's strong commercial support by canonical, the OS is free though if you choose you don't need commercial support unlike RHEL.

CentOS is basically a free RHEL but you don't have the option of support there if you choose you want it. My recommendation would be a LTS version of Ubuntu sicne though not required you can get support if needed and it has a very simple apt system to install software.

installing a full operational web server with ubuntu is as simple as typing in the following

sudo apt-get install apache2 php5 mysql-server; sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 graceful

after which you have a fully operational webserver

None of you are correctServer Os

If "best" means totally secure with the fastest recovery time than its...OpenVMS.  Most of you deal with OS's that are in the public domain and have never been exposed to the "best". The hackers convention in Vegas has refused to use OpenVMS in the competition anymore since they can not hack it.  Check for yourselves.

OpenVMS has NO PEERS.

-reply by D. Glassman

I'd recommend CentOS.
It has the stability and security of Redhat Enterprise with the price of Fedora.

I would have to agree here, i use Centos, Virtuialmin, webmin and usermin on all my servers, it is super easy to setup, configure and support multiple user accounts and multiple domains. Really the choice is simple, you want a server OS, you want Linux, but be prepared to have a steep learning curve no matter what OS you choose.

Yes, manyhosts do use debian. Dreamhost hosting company hosts sites and shared hosting packages on debian server. I think even xisto will allow you to use debian for mini VPS or dedicated. If you heard about ubuntu then you know that it is also based on debian kernel. @hannah, i have never heard people using macs for server. but now that Macs are using UNIX. So no doubt they will be used in future.

In that case you know that ubuntu is debian based. Even knoppix, simplymepis distros which are always preferred over ubuntu for rescue disk and portable linux usage are also debain based.

The initial question of the present topic was about servers.The most recent answers concerned workstations. For instance, usually a mac is known as a workstation, not as a server.A server is a huge machine, with a lot of cpu's and a lot of disk, and usually no mouse and no keyboard.Some people say "server" instead of "Intel Server", which is a very particular case. There are a lot of other servers around here.For instance, what I personally name "a server" is a 300k TPM machine, namely a Power6 system, obviously running AIX but it could also run RedHat if necessary.

But as Macintosh is UNIX based i guess it is possible to make it server (not pointing to those hardware but OS). As OSX and opendarwin are based on MACHBSD kernel. So chances are it will run on server.

But as Macintosh is UNIX based i guess it is possible to make it server (not pointing to those hardware but OS). As OSX and opendarwin are based on MACHBSD kernel. So chances are it will run on server.

Why not? However, from an architectural point of view, a server is a machine dedicated to be accessed from remote, with a lot of network bandwidth and disk throughput.I guess you will never find a Mac machine with 70 NIC's and a few thousand disks, but this is very common on real servers with a lot of simultaneous users.
Typically, a server has some hundred simultaneous users, and a workstation has mainly one user.
On a server you don't need a nice graphic adapter because this is not the main goal of this system.
On a mac you do a lot of graphics, the graphics has to be efficient. Moreover on a gaming PC who will never have one hundred disks but is very efficient for shooting games or for animated landscapes.

Just found this on wikipedia. From the link, I think there is OS X variant available. Not sure who is using it in competition of windows and linux. But because of UNIX based server OS, it is still worthy to remain in competition.