xisto Community
flippys

Server Os Whats the best?

Why not? However, from an architectural point of view, a server is a machine dedicated to be accessed from remote, with a lot of network bandwidth and disk throughput.I guess you will never find a Mac machine with 70 NIC's and a few thousand disks, but this is very common on real servers with a lot of simultaneous users.
Typically, a server has some hundred simultaneous users, and a workstation has mainly one user.
On a server you don't need a nice graphic adapter because this is not the main goal of this system.
On a mac you do a lot of graphics, the graphics has to be efficient. Moreover on a gaming PC who will never have one hundred disks but is very efficient for shooting games or for animated landscapes.

Dude, I'm sure you can find something like the XServe to be something that a lot of users will access to and grab resources off of. I know there are credit card companies that uses MacOS X XServes to handle credit card transactions.

xboxrulz

Why not? However, from an architectural point of view, a server is a machine dedicated to be accessed from remote, with a lot of network bandwidth and disk throughput.I guess you will never find a Mac machine with 70 NIC's and a few thousand disks, but this is very common on real servers with a lot of simultaneous users.
Typically, a server has some hundred simultaneous users, and a workstation has mainly one user.
On a server you don't need a nice graphic adapter because this is not the main goal of this system.
On a mac you do a lot of graphics, the graphics has to be efficient. Moreover on a gaming PC who will never have one hundred disks but is very efficient for shooting games or for animated landscapes.

MacOS has many faces, tough nowadays it's nothing more than an x64/x68 operating system.
A server doesn't need 70 NIC's and thousands disks by definition, a normal pc with a single NIC, a single disk and a single CPU can be a server too. A company with only 5 workers doesn't need a big server, they're probably better of buying a descent computer, installing linux or windows server on it and using it as a server.
The only difference between a server and a workstation is that most of the time, nobody is (physically) logged in to the server and that it can be headless and inputless most of the time. And of course, a server has to offer some services to user, like a webserver, database server, svn server, mail server, ...

//edit: btw, I have two servers running at home, both are using debian, works great ;) .
//edit2: I do have to admit, a real server is different than your average computer because it uses more expensive hardware that won't die after a year of heavy usage.
Edited by wutske (see edit history)