xisto Community
kids25

Best Anti-virus Programs ?

I have used McAfee in the past and also Norton, but I now use Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition. I always think that using more than one gives me the chance to catch with one what the other miss.I’m also trying BitDefender right now, thanks to micro for the info and I think I like it, if only for the mail scanning which it seems to do well.

I think AVG is by far good enough for any user at all. I think Norton has a more professional look and feel (interface), but in reality, it's slow and bulky, and runs far too many system processes that I don't like at all.AVG is FREE and works very fast and takes up much much less systemm resources than any of the major paid ones.So in conclusion use AVG for quality without any of the pricetag.

Each antivirus program uses a different virus database, some containing more malicious signatures than others, meaning antivirus will have higher detection rates than others.They also have their own interpretation of what constitutes malware as some companies only want their product to target primarily viruses and worms, and to a lesser degree trojans, exploits, spyware, hijackers and adware so there is no guarantee which antivirus is the best.The best solution is to use multiple scanners; one for real-time scanning and also consumes low resources and the other for on-demand such that if this particular antivirus can't find this particular virus, the other antivirus will detect it (hopefully).

I've used Panda Internet Security, McAfee Virus Scan, Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Norton Anti-Virus and Trend Micro Internet Security. So far so good, the best for me is Trend Micro Internet Security(of course I prefer the most updated version and you should be registered for the automatic updates). It updates just about uhhh(their virus definitions), every 4 hours, that's quality service for you and it has a built in mail anti-spam feature, trojan scanner/cleaner, security check(checks your windows for vulnerabilities) and a good personal firewall. The popup warning(if you have firewall vulnerabilities) which shows every 15 seconds or so can be quite annoying but this software definitely keeps my PC virus free! :)

I use F-Secure's F-Prot. It is just how I like my anti-virus software. It's not a big lump of software but few small and effective bits:F-StopW which is the always on realtime scanner, very small yet very effective. And stays nicely invisible if there are no problems. The on demand scanner which is also small, but effectrive and fast. Then there's an updater and a scheduler. I usually keep my computer running overnight. And I've scheduled F-Prot to update itself and run a full system scan at small hours. It keeps my system clean, but doesn't make any noise of itself. Great!

Seemed like this topic has been broken into 3 sub-topics ::1) Antivirus ::I love norton! But I feel that it is a lil too resource extensiveBut recently was introduced to this one called AVAST (https://www.avast.com/de-de/index) by a Czeh Company. Many users have used it and found that I was able to detect many that Norton have missed. I am using on my Laptop now. So Far so good. Small and dun take up much resource. Best part .. FREE !!Macafee .. Used to be my fav but have given up on it since 2000 .. got too comlicated and took up tooo much resources.In desperate times, I'll go to http://www.antivirus.com/ by Trend Micro. They have an online version of their scan .. and it's free!!!2) Firewall ::Zonealarm .. no reason to change it yet .. 3) Anti-Spyware ::Adaware was my fav .. now starting to love the one by microsoft .. detected some that slipped past Adaware .. and .. FREE!!LOL .. Guess I am really a believer of "Best Things in Life are Free"

I use Etrust Antivirus, but there are many better ones out there. I only use this because it is free and works decent. Other ones cost money and don't work real well.

I totally agree. AVG is definetly the best free scanner out there. It has E-mail scan, on access file scan, automatic updates, a virus vault ofcourse and you can scan your entire pc so no limits. :D

You can find more info and download it here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

me too! it's a great anti-virus program...and it's free!

it has found a virus that norton wasn't be able to find!!! i'm very satisfacted of it :D

Am i the only who thinks AV is a load of crap? I start up AVG once a month, clear out my 5-6 java exploits now and then, nothing serious. I use SygateFirewall Pro, to kill worms. I honestly think that anything you download or such, its mainly intellegence. You dont download a serial number thats 430kb and an .exe. you just dont do that. Ive never had any trouble in 4 years.

Mac-users can read this article about viruses on macs. I use the freeware they suggested in the article, clamXav, which has a small footprint and does a decent job of scanning my files. So far, nothing caught yet, but it's a good small program to have running all the time.

I've heard bad thing about Norton on the Mac platform, mostly about how it's so bulky and not ported well, as well as being expensive, and I've never seen the need to really go beyond clamXav, so I have nothing to say about Norton...

When I used my mom's Mac (for about 5 years) I downloaded gazillions of stuff, and never got any virus... I think.It has Norton Antivirus, wich we update frequently but still, it has never found a single virus.

Well, usually Macs don't suffer from viruses, especially with the new OSX, because (I'm basically summarising the points from the article I mentioned earlier) most users don't get root access to the system, we all operate out of a limited access account. If I was to install a program, I'd have to type in my admin username and password, which means if a virus was to operate on my computer, it would have to ask me for my username and password, a virus-attacking is something I have to actively participate in (which of course I won't) in order to succeed. Even with my admin username and password, I still don't have root access, it's usually very discouraged to access root.I use the antivirus program I mentioned above mostly just to make sure I don't get virus-infected files from a pc user and pass the virus onto another pc user. The virus won't affect me, I just don't want to be the "spreader" of the viruses.