xisto Community
MajesticTreeFrog

Who Is Considering Switching?

Ever since I jumped off the MAC OS9 bandwagon, I said "Mac, I am never going back!" Apparently, I was wrong.Not only has the price tags dropped, the designs improved, and the operating system acclaimed, it is safer to use.I have switched from MAC to PC, to PC to MAC many times. I have lost count.Thing is, ever since they debuted MAC OSX, I think I am starting to have MAC envy! Now I wonder why I ever threw out my MAC! I could've just upgraded it!It is also so sleek, it delivers preformance and percise details to everything.I think what it will take would be another price drop.It is still expensive, and I am not willing to take that big of a risk yet... yet...

Well my dad is definatley thinking very seriously about a Mac. They are still quite expensive but they are ALWAYS worth the money. There is a problem with price about the peripherals, they are very expensive!Another problem is compatibility and games, but games are available in Mac format. There will be more hurdles to jump than with Windows in programming terms, but overall I think they are worth it.Mac Mini and G5 are the best!Compuccino

Apple's trying to make its computers more popular. It seems to me that, if this succeeds, there will be more reason for virus writers and other malicious programmers to target Mac operating systems.

Now that Macs are FINALLY affordable and nice, is there anyone here who is considering getting one? (especially since If it didn't work out a mac mini is a small easy server).
And for those of you who aren't, is it because you don't need a new computer, don't care, or is it still too expensive(please consider the software bundle, and your pirated stuff doesn't count).

Also, if you aren't switching, what would it take?

I finally convinced my wife to switch to Linux after our ISP shut down our account because of a virus on her Win2K box. We told the ISP that we were changing it to a Linux box and they reactivated the account, no questions asked. Now she works between my Mac and her Linux box and we are planning to get a new Mac Mini for her next semester since both our existing systems are patched with duck tape, chewing gum and prayers.

The biggest thing that she has complained about on Linux so far is that she cannot play the Quicktime movies for her classes--- she uses my Mac for that. She was, however, rather impressed when she, the avid Civilization player, was introduced to FreeCiv on Mac and Linux. I may get roped into doing some multiplayer gaming.

The main reason we are considering a Mac Mini is that it is low power (we have had to run off of batteries and a generator or panels before) and will function as a PVR. Especially with many classes being televised or Internet, it will make it a lot easier to be able to just store them on the hard disk with meaningful names and folders with SpotLight searchable keywords. Then we will slurp our movies while we are at it.

My present Toshiba Sattelite is all but nearly obsolete now. It'sbeen 6 years since I've bought it and I think that it's time that I get myself a new machine. Last month I was in Singapore and a friend loaned me her Mac notebook and it was excellent. The peed was great, ans so were the start up and shut-down times. Also, most of the office features were just right for my personal usage. The cost is the one thing that has kept me away from purchasing a Mac. And since I'm considering a notebook, I think that I'm going to have to wait a bit longer before I can afford one. But the piggy-bank's filling up.

I've always used Windows (since 3.1), and I'm too set in my ways to stop using it now.That said, I wouldn't rule out getting a Mac as a secondary computer. There may be a lot of programs that only run on Windows, but there are also programs that will only run on a Mac. Can't think of any off the top of my head, but I wouldn't mind trying some of them at some point.Rebecca x :(

I've always used Windows (since 3.1), and I'm too set in my ways to stop using it now.
That said, I wouldn't rule out getting a Mac as a secondary computer. There may be a lot of programs that only run on Windows, but there are also programs that will only run on a Mac. Can't think of any off the top of my head, but I wouldn't mind trying some of them at some point.

Rebecca x :(

Circus and Ponies Notebook and Omni Outliner are two. I use C&P Notebook for everything and it only runs on Mac. iCal is another one. iTunes used to be a major selling point but it runs on WIndows now as well.

for me, I love using Macs, have been a Mac fan since when I was like 6 years old (Mac OS 7, I think). Anyways, enough said about my history for loving Macintoshes. I always wanted a Mac, but for some reason, I never had the chance to. For my next laptop, I would try to get the MacBook Pro. However, I got Mac OS X working on my Pentium 4 though. Yet, I still want to have a real Mac.xboxrulz

Are Apple doing the double button or more mouse thing yet?I used Mac's in primary school and of recent years at friends houses but personally I really don't like the machines themselves all that much nor the operating system, though iv'e heard they are going to be using normal PC hardware (like it will run on different hardware configurations and such) soon yeah?But I don't just use Windows for music and stuff, gaming is one and plus i'm a hobbiest developer in a language that is Win32 specific so I ain't jumping no where anytime soon.

OS9 and OSX both allowed you to use a double mouse. I used my Microsoft optical mouse for years with my iBook when I was at home. now Apple has their mighty mouse, which is 2buttons+. As far as the new Mac Books and MacBook Pros, wait until 2007's January WWDC before buying any of them. First Generation Apple products, like first gen anything, typically have bugs. In fact I bought my friends's 1.33Ghz G4 Power Book (loaded with 2GB of Ram and the works) for $700 because he wanted the latest and greats MacBook Pro...I have his power book, all my software (final cut, lightwave, Composite Lab Pro, and Effects Lab Pro) all work wonderfully on it along with MS Office and Photoshop. He got his MacBook Pro and has some, not much, but some problems with running his old PPC apps in Rosetta. Got to wait for the software to catch up with the new hardware.

If you are going to buy a mac, stick with a used g4 or g5. These are the best supported through OSX and run the smoothest. Not to mention more affordable. I perfer the g4 power book to all. I have a g3 ibook, g4 imac, and a g4 power book all running tiger.

I think the main issue I have with switching to MAC is the cost and availability of software. Not only is the machine more expensive, all the software associated is also more expensive. There are less freeware out there for MAC than for PCs. The truth is I started out with MAC when PC wasn’t even around, although I loved it, I found a cheaper and more convenient alternative.