xisto Community
lacking_imagination

Anyone Use Gamemaker?

i have made few games in GM(http://www.mtsoft.host.sk/) but now i want to create something more seriously so im trying RPG maker and FPS creator

is rpg maker better than flash? i have made alot of flash games and moves, but now i am looking for a chang. where can i find the rpg maker is it free? also will i be able to put is on my website? and is it easy to use?

Object Pascal is easy.GameMaker isn't that bad and if you can't or don't want to handle the Drag and Drop aspect, then your free to script it up yourself, and 3D is possible although not supported to a great extent.RPG Maker XP also has scripting support.RPG Maker 2003 has better Drag and Drop than XP (because XP drops some things in favour of scripting), but it has no real scripting.

Is gamemaker almost the same as rpg maker? I have rpg maker 2k3 and xp but I like 2k3 more. There are more options on the event boxes than in xp; although, there are some benefits to xp too.

Ok I'll run it through for you as best I can:RPG Maker 2003 has (compared to RPG Maker XP) the most simple and in-built functions for making your RPG's.RPG Maker XP on the other hand removes some of these default basic functions, because it contains a scripting language (it uses Ruby) for adding tons of functionality (way more possibilities compared to RPG Maker 2003), it supports clearer and smoother graphics and of course has many other enhancements and improvements.Game Maker (GM) is a bit like RPG Maker XP, it has many simple built-in drag and drop functions, but it also has a scripting language (that more resembles a real programming language and with some help and references, is easier to use and learn).However Game Maker is alot more flexible in comparison to any RPG Maker and is even less restricted concerning game type, you can even make 3D games (there are some 3D functions) but the maker does focus and probably will for a long time, mostly on 2D.Well I hope that clears it up for you :), also the Game Maker site has quite a few sample games to download and modify to show you how it's done in GM and how you can do it, most of them use the drag and drop functions instead of scripting as they are for the noobies. (Such as FPS, Platformer, Arcade Style, RPG Style, Isometric, etc).

There is a website to get rpg maker stuff for free. It's crankeye.com It has rpg resources and the rpg makers. It's in the download section though. i'm not sure that it has absolutely everything for rpg makers but it has a few.

I have used game maker, and I can say that it is a great program. It allows you to easily make games with little to no programming experience required....you can even make 3D games!!!The downsides to using game maker are that the games have a tendency to take up a ton of space (several megabytes each) as the graphics, sounds, etc... are typically stored inside the game file itself, instead of on separate files.But if you want to make games quickly and easily, without much in the way of experience, game maker is definitely the way to go.

Errr, whether the game files are in or out of the executable means nothing.It can end up consuming more ram if your not carefull, but having everything loaded with the executable, ready to execute the data at any point without the need for loading is actually a very good idea for a small scale game.It will be much faster if done properly and it's also alot less trouble to code ;).

I know I was doing a spinoff fan game based on the Hitman series with Gamemaker, and when I went to release a demo of it to the Hitman community forums, no one could play it but my computer for some odd reason ;) That was a couple versions ago, but I haven't made any games with it since just because of that odd compatibility issue. I saw the Gamemaker book at borders, and I actually thought of picking it up, because I have a great idea for a game, but the book didn't seem to go into the GML script as much as I'd like it to. I wish they would come out with a 3D engine that was as easy to use as Gamemaker. I know they made "mods" for Gamemaker that use Doom-like 3D graphics, but I'm looking for something more modern. I've been too busy to learn Directx or OpenGL programming, though I do wish I had learned it when I had the chance.Life has a way of keeping you occupied ;)

Yeah, is Gamemaker easy to use? I've seen my brother download it, but when I checked the RAR file, it had no files. I also heard from other sites that Gamemaker has a drag and drop thingy? I'd really like to know more.

Hi lonelym,Yes GameMaker has both a Drag and Drop approach to game making and a scripting language available.There is quite a bit you can do with the drag and drop portion of game making, and if this isn't sufficient, you can jump right into the scripting side of things with a lot more flexibility.I have never been a huge fan of making games in game maker, but I started way back with programming with DirectX, so that will always be my preference (a lot harder than game maker lol).My 14 year old brother (around 12 at the time), managed to make a few small games on his own using game maker 5 (there now up to game maker 7) with the drag and drop portion and he is autistic.But I would always recommend learning the scripting (they have a really good forum to get help from, even with specific issues or game play elements) as it will unlock a lot more potential for you.If your interested in perhaps SNES style RPG's, I would go for RPG Maker, it has also a drag and drop type approach (although the newer RPG Maker XP has includes a scripting language, so it is a lot more customizable and powerful).Hope this information helps B).

I used to use it alot. I have it registered too.I've sort of gone off it though as I got flash a while ago and you can do what you want. Also with Macromedia Director, that is even better than flash. Almost anything can be done with director.So I don't use Game Maker much anymore as it is too simple and can't do much. Plus you have to learn a whole new language just to do a bit more advanced stuff with it. (GML)The creator of Game Maker joined up with a site called YOYO games so now there is also adds in the program which get really annoying.

I use it too. It's easy to use, yet is powerful and can create nearly anything that doesn't required all technology and stuff.It has the possibilities to load external resources and DLL's. Also you can include files that extract when you play the game. I use the scripting language, and I love it. Easy to learn too. Even though a year ago I thought I would never be able to learn that.I love it.

Edited by MediYama (see edit history)