xisto Community
lacking_imagination

Anyone Use Gamemaker?

Yeah, GameMaker is a good program. It can be kinda hard to make games in it sometimes, but it is good. If you want, you could get an easier program, like Multimedia Fusion. However, the full version of it is quite expensive. Just try the demo of GameMaker first, and see if you like it.

I use it for 3 years now, and I still use it. Maybe because I spend to much time by learning GML, the programming language of Game Maker, that's btw pretty similar to C. The only problem of GM is that you need a pretty good computer for a rather simple game because the graphics take much time to load, unless you like to wait 10 minutes before you can play a game of course. :)

Well I use DarkBASIC classic (DBc) from the same company (The Game Creators) if that's any help. Game maker is good, but is very limited. Although its fine for very basic games, you are simply selecting options, so your choice is limited. If you are really serious about programming then a good place to start is Darkbasic. It has so many features and is so simple to learn. (Sorry to sound like a salesman here.) I think it's much easier than HTML. Plus, you get all the help you need in the games amazing help files, the site forum and from the 700+ page book you can buy.

Then of course there is DarkBASIC Proffesional (DB or DBP) which really is an upgraded version of DBc. I got DBc with the add-on pack Darkmatter for around £20 off amazon. (Here) Look around at DBP and other similar products like Blitz3D.

I hope I've helped you. If you have any questions at all then please feel free to e-mail me.

Well I use DarkBASIC classic (DBc) from the same company (The Game Creators) if that's any help. Game maker is good, but is very limited. Although its fine for very basic games, you are simply selecting options, so your choice is limited. If you are really serious about programming then a good place to start is Darkbasic. It has so many features and is so simple to learn. (Sorry to sound like a salesman here.) I think it's much easier than HTML. Plus, you get all the help you need in the games amazing help files, the site forum and from the 700+ page book you can buy.

Then of course there is DarkBASIC Proffesional (DB or DBP) which really is an upgraded version of DBc. I got DBc with the add-on pack Darkmatter for around ÂŁ20 off amazon. (Here) Look around at DBP and other similar products like Blitz3D.

I hope I've helped you. If you have any questions at all then please feel free to e-mail me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems that you are acting slightly ignorant about Game Maker's capabilities. Game Maker is far more powerful and flexible than you give it credit for. What you saw was just the drag-and-drog portion of it, most likely. Once you reach the GML portion of it, I think you would change your mind on the matter. Not only can GM produce simple games, "very simple games" if you will but it also can create large-scale RPGs and 3D FPSs if given the time, patience and the hard work.

Personally, I don't use GM anymore. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as an aggressive advocate, but I'm just trying to get the point across. :P When I did utilize the power of GM, I discovered that it could create amazing things if one put patience and hard work into it. Of course, I've been known to give up on things, so like with the said, GM also followed suit. But I still enjoyed the experience.

Honestly, I don't know much about DarkBASIC other than the fact that it's language is based off of the BASIC language. It might be more powerful than GM, I don't know. However, I don't think I'll find out any time soon. I'm not into game making anymore. Okay, I've said enough.

i use it but i can't make one because i don't get how to do that

Then you can do two things. Learning how to use it or take a gun and end your life ;);) No, just kidding. If you want to learn it maybe you should read the documentation. Or you could look in the tutorial section on Xisto. Here is a nice tutorial made by l337 Nurse Pedestrian. I hope it has some use for you.
http://forums.xisto.com/topic/82083-topic/?findpost=1064290379
Also try the gamemaker forums.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Game Maker isn't limited to Games either, I've created Web Browsers, Chatting Programs, FTP clients, and software to run basic servers.

It's true that you can make also other things then games with GM. Btw, could you help me a bit? I tried to make a Web Browser too, but I didn't have any idea how to do it. I would realy appreciate your help.

-=Jeroen=-

I'm making a small site dedicated to Game Maker and Game Development in general, the only part that is actually up right now is a small forum and portal for a Zelda development team I'm working on, if anyone frequently visits the Game Maker Community and has checked out the Legend of Zelda: ( no name ) thread that used to be the community project I'm working on that as one of the three lead developers, Cinder.

It's true that you can make also other things then games with GM. Btw, could you help me a bit? I tried to make a Web Browser too, but I didn't have any idea how to do it. I would realy appreciate your help.

You can extend GameMaker`s functionality with DLLs. Such DLLs can be found here. One of DT`s DLLs make your GameMaker project a webbrowser with the Internet Explorer kernel.

I really like gamemaker. it's easy to use, free, great interface, free, did i say it's free? Of course there is a registered version that costs $15 which allows you to play cds, make fireworks and make 3D games. Very easy to use and i highly recommend it. VB is better though.

I have started to use game maker a bit. I am not really much into making games i just thought i would check it out. I found it to be a pretty good program. Expecially if you have the slightest idea of how to do any programming as far as code goes.