xisto Community
bryandel

Adobe Premiere Pro vs Sony Vegas 5 + DVD Productio Which is the best video editing software

Which is the best video editing software?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd never buy any sony software. sony computer stuff is aweful. i should know my pc is a sony. sonicstage [the music software] is horrible. Their equivant of moviemaker crash everytime it runs [just like movie maker] i do have a lite version of premier that is use and i think it is great. the full version would be even better.

I'd never buy any sony software. sony computer stuff is aweful. i should know my pc is a sony. sonicstage [the music software] is horrible. Their equivant of moviemaker crash everytime it runs [just like movie maker] i do have a lite version of premier that is use and i think it is great. the full version would be even better.

Well not to worry, Sony bought Vegas Video.. it was developed by Sonic Foundry, and it's a great sfotware... altough i haven't proved Adobe's Premier.. but in Audio, i use Sony's Acid Pro to mix and Adobe's Audition to record.. try the trial.. in my contry, trial are mora than that thanks' to emule (i'm not sugesting anything!)

have used both Premiere and Sony Vegas, but I graviate towards Premiere. They both have fairly simillar software features and I think price-wise Vegas is cheaper. Also, Vegas is a bit easier to use (to me, anyway) than Premiere...esp. if you're new to video editing. When I started using Premiere it took me forever to figure stuff out (and I'm still learning everytime I use it, haha), but i've used it for so long Vegas seemed a little too foreign for me. But that's my opinion..

i work as an editor and in professional studios the standard is Avid. I reckon its products might be too expensive for home editing, though there is one great exeption: avid dv xpress free, which u can download on the website for.. euh.. free. I never used it but i heard good things about it. It might just do what you need.When i started in this bussiness i used adobe premiere.. though it is more basic than avid software, it does quite a lot.

I use and love Sony Vegas and have been using it for quite a while. As of yet I haven't found anything that I can't do with it that I have wanted to and it's really quite easy to use.I have to say although I haven't tried Premiere I have heard lots of good things about it but i'm sure which ever you choose they'll both be pretty darn good video editors.

First off, there is a big difference between mac users & windows users. Mac users luv there computers where window users always have something negitive to say about there computer. As for spyware, I use a G4 power mac & I have never installed any protection on my mac nor have I ever had a computer virus. Why is that when I like everyone else download, browse the web, use internet explorer. Its really simple. The windows file ( exe ) that everyone uses on a window computer carries the bug. Macs do not open such files therefore macs are free to explore the web with no worries. Of course you can download exe files on a mac but you can not open it & there is no damage unless you open the file.
Every so often macs do get a bug but your looking at maybe 1% of all mac users, these would be those who install windows 2000 on mac as a 2nd. operating system.

As for Video, I use Final Cut Pro 5 & I luv it. Macs are great for graphics, windows dont refresh fast enough. Everytime I use photoshop on a windows computer I flip at how the screen does not refresh. On macs I have never had such a thing. For Video work windows was the way togo early on, apple didn't spend to much time on R&D in Video but every since macs caught upto windows in speed & performance things have changed in a major way. Macs can now handle the demands of Video. Animation was also done on windows & every animation was for windows till apple woke up one day & smiled. Web design in my book should stay in the windows world, simply cause the world runs on windows where macs only make it better.
It really doesn't matter what Video software you use, its all about skill. You can sit here & debate who is the best & that will get us nowhere. Strike up a plan, connect with a area of interest, software / hardware company, your target folks. Take a look at your budget, spend some time on the learning curve & everything else will follow into place. I dont go off & use every software out there, instead I stick to one I connect with & go with it. When im ready ill move on, till then ill master the art. Do the one, find that one thing your good at & do it. In imaging if thats working with color then relax. You cant do everything, not even in software so find that one thing your good at & become a PRO.

Is this true? I've heard this but can anyone explain to me WHY? Otherwise it just sounds like hearsay to me. :oP Plus, HOW can Macs not get spyware? Mac users use the internet and sometimes even IE, like PC users... o_0

How can mac not get spyware

I'm on Mac and use iMovie 06 a lot for capture and import from DV and even for quite a bit of simple cutting and to add the final track since it works much better with iTunes than FCP 4.5. For all my professional stuff, I'm still using FCP 4.5HD. I haven't needed to upgrade to FCP yet and don't plan on it until I get a MacTel. (I'm still 100% PPC and getting decent deals on Ebay on G5's....so I'm putting it off until I have to do it...)I have Adobe After Effects 5.5 (I don't use it much) and Apple Shake. (Although I paid $3000 and 4 months later they dropped the price to $500...grrrr...I'm still fuming over that one)However I am using EffectsLab Pro for a lot of my personal project and is a really good program for $150.

I have been using adobe Premiere Pro fore a while now and its pretty good! Very expensive, much more then you would want to spend on something just for a bit of fun!! still it is a good solid program!downside is that it can be a bit heavy with the memory requirements and needs about 1GB (running on windows XP Pro) to run reasonably smoothly (i would suggest more to make it run better). you may also find that some file extensions it wont like and you may have to do some external conversions before you open them in premiere pro!still, it is a good program, heaps of features and a rock solid program for anyone that is seriously into the video editing business!

For Apple, Final Cut pro is the best there is, and for Windows, if you've got the specs to run it, Premiere Pro is the best non-linear editing program there is. I do find it to be taxing on my system as well (when i'm editing a one-hour video with like 300+ clips, each with transitions and countless layer effects), and i'm running a 3 Ghz P4 with 1GB ram and a 256MB Geforce 7600.There are i think 3 video cards that are specially optimized for Premiere Pro, i don't remember which they are, but anyways they'll run to almost a grand just for the card, and unless you've really got cash to throw around it's not something you'd pick up right away. I do find Premiere Pro 1.5 to be better overall than v2.0, though version 2runs faster and the preview realtime playback can handle higher processing loads without jerking during the transitions, I have problems with getting it to accept non-standard video files. 1.5 would accept almost everything, but this version 2, if the pixel aspect ratio isn't just how it likes, or the sounds isn't encoded just at the correct frequency, it won't import it. So i ended up switching back to 1.5

I use sony Vegas 7, its really easy to use....especially if your not really into complicated stuff. I was using Windows movie maker, then I got vegas. I found out all the effects fast and are really easy to use. You can learn things really fast with vegas, though I've never tried premiere. my friends have it, looks more complicated though. I'm getting that and after effects and seeing which one is better xD-Dude

I have Premiere Pro CS3 and it's a very good program.I have 1GB but I need more.I will download Sony Vegas 8 (because I make AMVs and I think it has more video effects..I don't know exactly).Maybe it will work better on my PC.-Anna

Replying to MajesticTreeFrogThats and excellent and very balanced view props but I would like to add that I built my quad core pc for under a grand and even the fastest macs would have a really tough time keeping up with it, the mac quad cores use intel xeon processors which are no comparison to the Core 2 Quads, the xenons get blown away. -reply by Brian

I've been using the Vegas and Premiere series since 2002. Vegas crushes premiere. It's easier to learn on a pc since premiere is on a mac interface translated to windows and it's way too time consuming.If you want to edit as a hobby, vegas can do ANYTHING Final Cut can do. I am experience in FCP, Avid, Premiere, and Vegas. I'm a pc fan. I've always edited on my PC. You can render in HD in Vegas, too. I've finished videos in 4 hours with Vegas that would easily take me 11 hours for the exact same product in Premiere. There is no pre-rendering to preview... It's all live down to the very frame if you wanna get super detailed. You can also rip at 60fps. You cannot import Divx or Xvid into Vegas, which is a shame, but just convert the rips.-reply by Maynard

you fail

Adobe Premiere Pro vs Sony Vegas 5 + DVD Productio

FYI apple's PC clones, use the same damn hardware regular PCs use.

So the guy who said they used different processors is a complete idiot. Same CPU since the beginning of 2006 you fool and from a software perspective, so long as the CPUs instruction sets are alike even a different CPU uarch would be entirely transparent(as in you can hack OSX to work with AMD's CPUs and well as intel's on standard PCs)

-reply by troll