xisto Community
bryandel

What Is The Best Brand Of Harddisk? Who has longer life?

Which is the best brand of harddisk?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My friend just purchased a 300gb seagate harddisk. And at a really fair price, the one that was in his current system was a maxtor which somehow got toasted so he had to buy a replacement. So with that being said I think that MAXTOR harddisks become defective over time. So stay clear from MAXTOR products if you can, and also didnt maxtor go out of business. Dont qoute me on that but I think they went bankrupt, that was just from what I heard though. Can anyone confirm if that is true?

Although my system has a Maxtor and Western Digital HDD, I still choose Seagate, because the computers at school uses them and so does my XBOX 360 ;) and they never give any problems.My Maxtor is crap (had to send to warranty a couple times), and I never really liked my WD HDD.xboxrulz

I use Seagate as much as possible, mainly because they come with a 5 year warranty, whereas Maxtor and WD come with 2 and 3 years respectively. I've had 1 Seagate, 4 WDs and 2 Maxtors fail on me over a period of 4 years. One reason is the horrible power surges and blackouts here. So with only 1 failed Seagate, i would say it's more durable. (only 2 Maxtors because i stopped buying them).

I have always been a Maxtor hard drive user because they last long. So far none of my Maxtors have failed on me yet. I have like 8 of these hard drives already (ranging from 120GB to 300GB) and they have been working for over 4 years now. I'm also like the Seagate brand because it's been really reliable as well. Believe it or not, it's still running perfectly fine on my 10 year old Pentium II computer. Bought a 400GB IDE and 320GB SATA and all is looking good so far.There has been a lot of bashing between Maxtor and Western Digital fans. From my own experience, the failure rate is probably around the same ballpark for any of these popular brands. Most hard drive failures that I have seen occur are due to the environment they are in. Overheating is the main issue I have seen on computers that I repaired.

I've got a Seagate Barracuda harddrive, since I've bought it I faced no problems related to harddisk and no bad sectors. This also gives good perfomance, reliability and very cost effective. Edited by livingston (see edit history)

I'd say Maxtor hands down. I have a Maxtor from like 2001. Its still running and its even fallen a few times and been left out side for like months. Its really good and if the rest of maxtor is like that and my other Maxtor drives then I'd say maxtor is the best. However if only used maxtor really.

Well I have to say that I have had some experience with multiple different drive manufacturers....My experience has been that Seagate drives are the best. They usually come with a 5 year warranty, and the drives seem to last well beyond that point (I have yet to have one fail). They seem to run really quietly, and have really good performance.I have also had experience with maxtor. Their drives seem to work well, and last as well. But they don't boast such a high warranty. Of all these companies, the one I have had the worst experience with is Western Digital. I had two drives from them fail (after being only 1.5-2 years old). These drives were both purchased at the same time (and they were in different computers, at different locations and they both failed within 6 months of eachother), so maybe they were defective, however they were not covered under warranty. And in both cases, it was definitely a hard drive failure. In both cases, the computers were running fine, and then all of a sudden they started giving error messages about data integrity or not being able to read the file. On both computers within about 30 minutes of first getting error messages like that, they gave a blue screen and restarted, on the next boot it had a SMART error about an immanent hard drive failure. After which the drives were inaccessible and would not boot (Simply hear the hard drive spin up (like it was turning on) then click, and then spin up, click, and so on).

I like Seagate HD drives because, I've tried some manufacturers, like Western digital, Maxtor and Samsung and the Seagate's disk are the most reliable, very quiet and the performance is very good.I have nigthmares when I remember a Western digital disk that fail 4 years ago with all my music and personal data only 8 months after I purchased it.

Edited by Ozwaldo (see edit history)

I like Seagate. I have a baracooder and it has served me well over the past 6 yrs, it is a little noisy sometimes when accessing big files or virus scanning but still very reliable.-paul

I work as an IT technician in NC and have seen a lot of drives. Seagate have dropped quality significantly over the years making it the "cheap" drive these days (2008). They tend to have bad sectors rather quickly and can casue BSOD like "KERNEL STACK INPAGE ERROR" due to poor read/write procedures.In order:1) Samsung - Used mostly in OEM PC's and warraty of 5 years. Not the best for gaming but for reliability they win hands down.2) Western Digital - Especially or larger drivers they stay solid for years.3) Maxtor - Great for gaming computers but bad sector rather easily... Trade off for performance and speed is reliability. Now Seagate own Maxtor and I havent used a Maxtor in a bit over a year... So I cant comment on those.4) Seagate - Develop bad sector even if they are used for storage. When having a paging file section on these hdd's any power outage could destroy the MTF and develop bad sectors. SeaTools don't work very well fixing and diagnosing problems.In my gaming rig I have a 160gb Maxtor where I have OS and games installed and a 250gb Samsung which serves and My documents for music and pictures etc...-reply by Scott Manher

My old Seagate failed only for 3 years exactly.. . I purchased it May '05 and it failed at May '08 it's really not pretty good!I don't know, what the best and reliable one?Maxtor knew to be hot easily, after heavy activity, such: gaming,transfer big files. . . It is easily crashed by bad sector, but I have tried it yet.Seagate is weak-reply by anthony