xisto Community
bryandel

What Is The Best Brand Of Harddisk? Who has longer life?

Which is the best brand of harddisk?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just had a Maxtor DiamondMax 9 120gb SATA drive die on me. I read up on the forums that the diamondmax 9 series had the common occurrence of the controller on the drive failing. It was a horrible sound when I was playing Oblivion and the hard drive makes a wrenching sound and then goes silent. I waited for the game to crash and sure enough it did. Lost all my data on the drive; luckily being a IT professional I always make backups but I didn't have my latest save files backed up yet. So I now have a Western Digital...lets see how it does.

I am currently using 2 X 500GB Seagate hard disks on my new computer. My old Seagate 120GB hard disk on another older computer, approximately 5 years old, did suffer some bad sectors not because it was bad quality, but that it has been heavily used in its life (e.g. moving large files, installing and uninstalling programs a lot when testing software). I personally think Seagate hard disks are more reliable, but it is obvious that hard disks will fail over time and it just depends when it happens.

Western Digital 120GB IDE WD1200JB High End ATA-100 7200 rpmWhat Is The Best Brand Of Harddisk?

Purchased this WD HD in August of 2005 - unrecoverable sector manifested itself after a BSOD about a year later. Unfit to use as OS drive I used it as a OS backup slave since then. On my return from a trip to Singapore this dude must have gone asleep forever. On startup I received the famous reminder that BIOS unable to load because of no drive attached... Everybody in this biz knows what that stands for, bad controller, bad cable, drive ko. A dealer checkup confirmed the latter.

With three months out of warranty, I have decided to drill four holes into the WD 1200JB before deposing it, and to replace with one of the brands that stand for quality, reliability and longevity. I am running two PC's side-by-side. The nature of my work requires 24/5 top performance and a stable operating environment.

• Samsung SP2504C   4 years

• Maxtor Quantum Atlas SCSI   9 years 10'000rpm unbelievably fast read/write 4.5!

• IBM-Hitachi IC35L036U 6 years

Hope this info helps those who are still seeking.

layaguara

NOTHING IS STABLEWhat Is The Best Brand Of Harddisk?

Everything is cheap today day, cheap industry worldwide, all the HDD are poop from China. I used all the brands for over 25 years on IT and even Fujitsu fail.

Do backups of your stuff in disks cd/dvd but also the disks have a limited life in number of years, storage medium can accelerate the damage on the shinny face of one blank media like humidity, so if you have some important stuff like the pictures or video of your kids born you have to renew your backups every few years.

OpinionWhat Is The Best Brand Of Harddisk?

Got two Western Digital drives, exactly the same model (WD10EADS-00L5B1) Both have bad sectors, and I have them since February '09. Found out on google that a lot of WD's nowadays are unstable, and that this model has a lot of problems, especially for bad sectors. I got 3 WD raptors 74GB though, running fine 1 for some years, another two 1,5 years. Got a Samsung also running for 1,5 years now, a Maxtor for 2 years, another maxtor for 5 years.. I think I would go for Maxtor. I'm quite done with WD, unless they are more expensive and longer running models like the Raptors, instead of those cheap models that aren't fabricated anymore after a few months..

-reply by b-ry

What Is The Best Brand Of Harddisk? - Which has longer life?What Is The Best Brand Of Harddisk?

Harddisks are High  Power Hardware, run hot and hence need efficient cooling and provision for "Off State" configuration. They also constitute the High Cost components of a computer and as such, are a constant Partition Crash and Pop-off worry factor. Under such operating conditions, like the Monitor Tube or Processor, they need to be specially perfectly designed and produced for a long and hardy lifespan. In this context, a computer enthusiast makes choice of a Harddisk Brand as a one-time-through decision. Brand Advertising can be described as "Make-up solicitation", in that, the goodness of a merchandise is trumpeted and badness, if any, is concealed or even claimed as non-existent by default. And, of course, trade deals are, very rightly, said to be "Closed" and seldom "Made" - meaning thereby that it is a point of "No return". Therefore, buyers of an item such as a Harddisk should go by word of mouth around, so that user friends can positively say that they have been happy with a particular brand. Here there is a paradox of situation, namely that, if a harddisk has lasted long, the user's opinion of his brand, vis a vis the numerous others on the market, becomes extremely subjective(as in a questionnaire). On the other hand, the user's reportage of  long durability of his harddisk is a positive assertion of his verified satisfaction with the product, which surpasses by several lengths, the role and cacophony of meticulous, prolonged and costly advertising. In this regard, a roadside shop knows the crux of advertising better than the sales gimmicks of Companies, when they say on a placard in the shop, "Customers' satisfaction is our guaranty".

Thus, in my very personal but substantiated opinion, Seagate and Samsung make cost-effective Harddisks for prolonged and intensive(10 to 12 hours a day), trouble-free usage for over 8 to10 years. My experience of after-sales service and 5 the year warranty clause in the case of  a Seagate harddisk is that, when it developed extensive bad sectors after 41/2 years of usage and was sent to the Company through the Ratailer, it was promptly replaced with a new piece within a week. I do not know if the credit for the service goes to the Retailer or the Manufacturer but today I can make the foregoing, positive observations about Seagate and Samsung Harddisks. Unfortunately, due to the long lasting features of these products, I do not know much about the other Brands - the paradox.

Ramesh Pradhan, Retired Industial Scientist(R&D Executive)