xisto Community
Vacant

Free Html Editor?

Hi, I'm looking for a free HTML editor. Not one of those new-fangled WYSIWYG ones... the only conditions are....

* Its free

* It has syntax highlighting

* It has a preview mode (like on dreamweaver or whatever).

* It doesn't have any spy/adware!

I figured that theres probably a great program out there somewhere, I just havent found it yet. I used to use one that I liked but since the Great Hard Drive Crash of 2004 it has disappeared from my PC, and I can't find anywhere to download it either....

Which (free) editor do you use?

- Vacant

57229[/snapback]

Until you find what you're looking for, Internet Explorer comes close. It has everything you asked for except syntax highlighting, and you don't have to go looking for it.

You would need to backup your file, first, because you have to save your changes before viewing, but then all you do is hit F5 to see your changes. That means it isn't a true preview mode, but you can see your new page before uploading, so that's something. Anyway, it works in a pinch. :angry:

Suz

Until you find what you're looking for, Internet Explorer comes close. It has everything you asked for except syntax highlighting, and you don't have to go looking for it.

The problem is of course that IE isn't an editor. It's a browser with no editing capabilities.

The problem is of course that IE isn't an editor. It's a browser with no editing capabilities.

60334[/snapback]

Huh? :angry: I edit my code there all the time.

Backup your page, first, since your changes are permanent.

Open your page using Internet Explorer.

Hit View/Source. (Your page opens in Notepad.)

Make your changes and save.

Close the Source window.

Hit F5 to see your changes.

When you're happy, upload as usual.

If you've screwed it all up, go to your backup file and start over. :blink:

It's primitive, but it works. I was the Writers' Exchange Guide at About.com for 2 years, with nothing but Internet Explorer and my word processor to run my whole site.

I wouldn't want to write from scratch that way, but it's fine for simple edits, adding links, etc., or you can use IE to grab a template from almost anywhere to get you started. After that it's just copy/paste/edit/delete/ and so on.

Suz

60334[/snapback]

Huh? :angry: I edit my code there all the time.

Backup your page, first, since your changes are permanent.

Open your page using Internet Explorer.

Hit View/Source. (Your page opens in Notepad.)

Make your changes and save.

Close the Source window.

Hit F5 to see your changes.

When you're happy, upload as usual.

If you've screwed it all up, go to your backup file and start over. :blink:

It's primitive, but it works. I was the Writers' Exchange Guide at About.com for 2 years, with nothing but Internet Explorer and my word processor to run my whole site.

I wouldn't want to write from scratch that way, but it's fine for simple edits, adding links, etc., or you can use IE to grab a template from almost anywhere to get you started. After that it's just copy/paste/edit/delete/ and so on.

Suz

Sorry. My computer is acting screwy. Is there any way I can delete the duplicate?

Suz

60348[/snapback]

Well to help you find fast some of these editors have free with such functionality and it also open source so need to worry about licesnse or purchase issue.
i think you can try 1st page 2000 or virtualmachines ims web dwarf editor.
you can check http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ for IMS webdwarf i will post links to some of the web editors in this thread.

Open your page using Internet Explorer.Hit View/Source. (Your page opens in Notepad.)

That's what I meant, you're not using IE as an editor, because it isn't an editor. You're using Notepad to edit. And you're using IE (and hopefully at least Firefox/Mozilla as well) to check that your markup + css looks good.

i use notepad haha. i dunno, directly editing code seems to be alot easier for me. GUI based html publishers can help but i still find it easier to code from scratch. learning html is a good skill which has come in handy for me in a number of cases. it isn't hard to learn either, 3 months is all u really need max. ^_-

i use notepad haha. i dunno, directly editing code seems to be alot easier for me. GUI based html publishers can help but i still find it easier to code from scratch. learning html is a good skill which has come in handy for me in a number of cases. it isn't hard to learn either, 3 months is all u really need max. ^_-LOL Amen to the notepad thing, I've been using notepad a lot lately as well. I'm still learned HTML, it's been like a month since I started and I'm already getting the hang of it. It's actually pretty cool learning it as well.Next stop... Java!!*cough cough*

i use notepad haha. i dunno, directly editing code seems to be alot easier for me. GUI based html publishers can help but i still find it easier to code from scratch. learning html is a good skill which has come in handy for me in a number of cases. it isn't hard to learn either, 3 months is all u really need max. ^_-

61254[/snapback]

I really agree there, just a basic text editor that can save in a non specific file format works.

I can't think of any free graphical editors either, and most of those dont really render the pages how they will look in a real browser anyway..

That's what I meant, you're not using IE as an editor, because it isn't an editor. You're using Notepad to edit. And you're using IE (and hopefully at least Firefox/Mozilla as well) to check that your markup + css looks good.

60614[/snapback]

Ya got me there, Sparky. On my real computer I use Dreamweaver, but when I'm stuck on the toy laptop, I use IE/Notepad. I think I'll follow you around for a while and see if you come up with something I can use, too. :)

Suz

Well I have been html coding for a while now. I have used both the html editors and good old standard notepad. I actually prefer notepad these days. Notepad is better in my opinion because I can find my mistakes and fix them. I also occationally use wordpad. Both have a search feature. so if you know one set of characters or words that is in the peice of code you are looking for you just type it in the find bos and keep clicking find next until you get to the peice of code you are looking for and make the repairs. I know this can be a pain in the rear, but you learn alot more if you figure out your mistakes on your own. I used to use a html editor called AOL Prepress but it is no longer around. if you do a search on the internet you can find a few other freebies out there. Some of them are good and some of them are crap. That is pretty normal for any freebie. Also if you are looking to use a html editor to teach yourself html you would be better off looking up html tutorials than doing it that way. Good luck.

I use frontpage. That's the best. It's simple and easy to use. :(

57282[/snapback]

It most definitely is not the best - it produces overbloated, ugly code.

Notepad is the best html editor - it's simple free and there's nothing to download or deliver.

1st page 2000

No, no, no. Good software, I suppose but after you install run a full system virus scan. It comes with a virus called "***** from hell"

***** represent some words I can't remember.

Look after your PC, use notepad!