xisto Community
rmdort

How To Clear All Desktop Icons

Its one of those things where you didnt know it but although its a small thing to do, it is very helpful.I use the quicklaunch makes it easier for me, but i was always having to delete the icons. So this is a perfect little thing to do. Plus i never thought of looking there!Thanks

Lol, my poor desktop gets everything thrown at it. I need to organize my files. But I've found that keeping the folders for games and appz keep everything fairly nice looking. I think I have 5 folders on my desktop (including my computer/network/recycle bin). Also how drastically does your desktop slow down your pc? For instance, a 300 mb file on your desktop. That would definately cause some problems, right?

I hide all my desktop icons. It's not because I have too many of them; in fact, when I unhide them, I only have about three or four icons. I always have all my files organized in an endless array of folders elsewhere, because I like to have a clean desktop. I like seeing my desktop clean and devoid of all items, except for Rainlender (which I seem to be depending more and more on to keep tabs on everything I have to do). Then again, I like organization and minimalistic stuff, so maybe that explains it. ^^As for the CTRL+Z thing, it won't work if you accidentally emptied your Recycle Bin! All your icons will be lost!Serena

The desktop's purpose is to provide easy access to frequently used programs. Although it takes 500KB of ram at start up (which is not much) when full screen applications are started, or the desktop is hidden for a while, that memory is paged, which is why sometimes using Windows+D to show the Desktop takes a lot longer than other times.The idea of putting all the icons on the QuickLaunch to save memory is a bad idea, because QuickLaunch buttons load some of the essentials for the program into memory as well, so starting the program takes less time. For programs with no QuickLaunch functionalityt designed, this bit is tiny, but for programs (take iTunes for an example) which give you the option during install of placing a QuickLaunch icon, they have helper programs which take up lots more memory.If you hide your icons to see the wallpaper, then you can keep the functionality by printing out the wallpaper and placing somewhere where you can glance at it easily. This way, even when some program is blocking the Desktop, you can see your wallpaper.Think about it, if you aren't going to take advantage of the UI provided by the Desktop, you might as well just work in the command line. There's a reason that desktops have been incorporated into all modern operating systems. Not that it's wrong to hide your icons, or delete them, but, really, what's the point?~Viz

The way I solved this problem is by creating a folder on the desktop called iconsfiles where I make a point of moving all the stuff that ends up for some reason or other on my desktop. But I want access to My Computer and Recycle Bin etc... so I don't hide them.

Firstly, may I say icons are on the desktop for a purpose: they make tasks quicker. Secondly, the likes of My Computer and Recycle Bin icons can not be deleted so easily. In fact, the only way to do it is to somehow overwrite key components in Windows, which would be illegal and stupid. Finally, I have a very organised desktop. My Computer and shortcuts to drives are along the far left hand side, recycle bin is in the bottom right corner (because I rarely use it), and the rest of my icons are lined according to the program type. For example, my media program icons are in one column, Office in another, and folders in the far right. Keeping icons of programs that you use on the desktop is quicker than keeping them to the start menu.

Secondly, the likes of My Computer and Recycle Bin icons can not be deleted so easily. In fact, the only way to do it is to somehow overwrite key components in Windows, which would be illegal and stupid.

First of all, overwriting key components of Windows is not illegal, and is done through the registry. Modifying the source to Windows is illegal. Secondly, removing the My Computer icon is a lot easier than you think. On the Desktop, simply right-click (on the desktop, not the icon) and go to properties. Then go to the desktop tab and click the Customize Desktop button. Then simply uncheck My Computer.
~Viz

When you hide your desktop icons . .. Do you gain back the space lost from having them Like you would if you would have erased it? Or would the 10 megabytes your icon still be taken up?

When you hide your desktop icons . .. Do you gain back the space lost from having them Like you would if you would have erased it? Or would the 10 megabytes your icon still be taken up?

Seems that this topic subject is "hiding" the icons, not deleting them. If you delete all the icons, you save space, but you will never get them back again. Who knows where "my computer" or the trash bin are really located?