xisto Community
haseeb1405241472

Download Manager

I use FlashGet. It seems great to me and has a lot of options and features. Also, it integrates easily into Internet Explorer. To use with Firefox, use an extension found here.

The extension "Flashgot" integrates several download managers into Firefox and it has a feature called "Download selection" where you can just select the text you want and click the "Download Selection" button. It is great for lists.

I used to use RetRight but I got annoyed with it after a little while so I uninstalled it. Then one day I was a little bored and searching through random stuff at download.com, I came across DAP and thought I'd try it out, not believing it could actually speed up my downloads. Well, to my surprise, it sped up my downloads! So I've been using that ever since. However I did change over to Firefox a little while ago, and DAP doesn't automatically integrate into it, so I've been using the Firefox download manager mainly lately, apart from the larger files that I want to be downloaded quicker.

I'm using Leechget 2004. I've found that most D/L manager have the same features like scheduled downloading, splitting files into pieces for faster downloading, categorizing downloads etc.I like Leechget mainly because it *is* freeware - no ADs, no nag screens, decent functionality, pretty interface( sue me, I like looks ;-) !) and after downloading it has an option to keep the download window open. This is useful so I can open the downloaded file. I know there are options to automatically open the downloaded file, but in that case, the download opens before my virus scanner can scan the file.As things stand, LeechGet downloads the file, sends it to my virus scanner and waits patiently before I decide whether or not to open the file.

Get Internet Download Accelerator Version 4.0.2.This product is not free but I have the serial for it.This product phones home and when the serial doesn't match, it will return to its shareware mode but you can always switch to the next serial :) But for a free download manager, I would recommend Free Download Manager.

i like the one that comes in firefox, it is simple to use however it does have a lack of features. although i do realise this is not really the point of the program to be the most feature packed download manager. i may have to try some of the free ones named in previous posts...i used to use one quite regularly a couple of years back but can't remember what it was i used, this was in the days of 56k when it was important for me to have resumable downloads. althogh it did have the problem of anti-leeching software would often not like it.

If only the Mozilla Organisation can do something about the Download Manager, something like an accelerator and a option to resume downloads, I'll be the first in the line to try it out, even if it's known to be unstable with Windows XP.Seriously, I don't know if Firefox supports Resume Downloads but if it does, mine doesn't work.

If only the Mozilla Organisation can do something about the Download Manager, something like an accelerator and a option to resume downloads, I'll be the first in the line to try it out, even if it's known to be unstable with Windows XP.

Seriously, I don't know if Firefox supports Resume Downloads but if it does, mine doesn't work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does support resume... as far as I'm aware anyway. Whenever I have a download going, there is always a "Pause" button right under the file name of the file I am downloading. If you hit this button and pause the download, the button changes to "Resume". Obviously, pressing this button will resume your download from where it was stopped. I don't know why it doesn't work for you, that seems very odd to me... but have another look and you might find that it does in fact support download resume. If it in fact doesn't have this feature, maybe your Firefox is out of date and needs upgrading. I don't know though, I'm fairly new to Firefox, and it has had this feature since I started using it. I have no idea what features it had in previous versions.

to hell with the download manager with firefox is's so plain stupid , but honestly not as stupid as the IE download ..anyways i always use Leechget2004 and Freshdownload both free and has the NEEDED features with a simple user interface unlike getright and dap .. full of features , AAWFUL INTERFACE ( DAP ) ackward monitoring ( getright )

to hell with the download manager with firefox is's so plain stupid , but honestly not as stupid as the IE download ..

anyways i always use Leechget2004 and Freshdownload both free and has the NEEDED features with a simple user interface

unlike getright and dap .. full of features , AAWFUL INTERFACE ( DAP ) ackward monitoring ( getright )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually quite like DAP. Ever since I started using it I have loved it... and have never had any problems with it's interface. I guess it all comes down to your own personal opinion... but me, I like!

I did try GetRight once and didn't like that very much though.

I actually quite like DAP. Ever since I started using it I have loved it... and have never had any problems with it's interface. I guess it all comes down to your own personal opinion... but me, I like!

I did try GetRight once and didn't like that very much though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow.. windows STILL doesnt have a decent download manager built in ?

last time i sued DAP, it came with adware.

have a look at wget, its the de-facto download manager in *nix envoronments, if there's a script that ever needs to download anything, u can guarantee it does it via wget.

HORAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYI just tried MS Windows Codename Longhorn Build 4047 It's using an updated version of IE called IE 6.5 I think ... And it does have a popup blocker bla bla bla .. AND FINALY A DOWNLOAD manager .. where u resume /pause downloads ! but still no TABS ! :) but then it was explained that this is not the IE that will launch with the final thing IE 7.0 will be launched with the release of this Windows ... and it's going to have TABS/SIDEBARS .( Windows LHorn does has a sidebar now ) no more lame alternative browsers .. no offence foxxy boys :P

i used to use kazaa but it has to many virses, it kept making my computer crash. now i use limewire, it works great, it doesn't have many corrupted files. it works fine for me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

KaZaA and Limewire aren't actually download managers, they're peer to peer (or P2P) programs. They allow you (one peer) to connect to other users (other peers) on their network and transfer files between each other. Once you start downloading a file off another peer, the program will manage that download for you, but it is not regarded as a download manager. The download managers being discussed in this thread are programs that will manage your downloads from web sites (ie. when you click on a link on a web page that automatically starts downloading a file... for example downloading an application from download.com). If you are using Internet Explorer, when you start a download you will see a small window pop up that tells you the name of the file you are downloading, the speed you are downloading at and the percentage downloaded. This window is actually your download manager. If you use Firefox you will see a similar window, except this window shows previously downloaded files, and also allows you to pause/resume you downloads at any time. This again is a download manager, a some what better one that Internet Explorer's one. As you may have read in this thread, there are also some other add-on download managers you can use, some that add features that accelerate download speeds and other simple ones that just add more convenience to the original managers provided with web browsers.

To get a good example of what everyone is talking about, I suggest you download and try a couple of the managers mentioned in this thread... who knows, you might even be very pleased with one of them and add a new favourite item to your PC's inventory.

Everytime I install Download Managers, there are always trojans/spyware/adware detected so i'm depending on Firefox's resume feature. :P No more flashget, download accelerator, etc. It's browser slash feature. :P