How To Remove Bad Sectors Or Bad Clusters From HDD

How To Remove Bad Sectors Or Bad Clusters From HDD

I have a question that How To Remove Bad Sectors Or Bad Clusters From HDD

Please solve this problem

Regards,

Sankar dey

-reply by sankar dey

----------

Usually the MARK of BAD Sectors means you should change your Hard-drive. If your HDD is under warranty, its recommended you get it exchanged.

Long back, When I used to work in DOS, Running Fdisk command over and over while doing format used to remove the bad sectors.

I think....How To Remove Bad Sectors Or Bad Clusters From HDD

I think that there are several arguments running on bad sector removal but I still did not find a fully workable solution for it. While it tried Seagate's Disk manager to remove bad sectors but sometimes it fails to do that I don't understand what to do about it. So I downloaded the software named HDD REGENERATOR but it does not work fully as it meant to be...

thanks-reply by fams84

HHD Regenerator is able to repair bad sectors by "remagnitizing" them

Any other utility like scandisk and format are only able to "mask" bad sectors.

They will show up on next format after you deleted the partition.

Every old hd has bad sectors, don't panic it is usually not a problem,

I have a disk 127 MB, made in 1983, 1% bad clusters since 1996

Yet fully operational, running right now whitout ever using hdd regenerator on it.

All sectors are being thorouglhy scanned &masked once a month using scandisk

No severe problems..

As far as I know, only NAS-devices don't tolerate bad sectors.

-reply by Ed Dyreen

Hope I can shed some light on this topic. If not I will at least provide some interesting references. I listen to the Security Now podcast (https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm) and one of the hosts is Steve Gibson http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) which produces a hard drive utility which I use and recommend called SpinRite (https://www.grc.com/intro.htm). Steve is fairly well know to the tech community from his appearances on the âThe Screen Saversâ (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) television show and his avid crusade against spyware. This is all going to the point that he knows what he is talking about.

Over the years Steve has talked about the inner workings of hard drives as this is a dear subject to him. Here is what I have gathered from the many discussions about hard drives and bad sectors in particular. Bad sectors are physical defects on the surface of the hard drive and they canât be erased. The best you can do is identify them and move them to a different physical area of the drive. With drives getting to be so large, a certain amount of free space is left intentionally on the platters for this very reason. Modern drives are constantly monitoring the data written and read from the platters via internal checksums (such as CRC or similar checksums). If the drives detects that a sector is about to become unreadable, it internally moves that data to a different physical sector and marks the bad sector to be put out of service.

A side effect of this scheme is that a sector cannot be examined unless it is requested. This means that if you copy a file to the hard drive and then not access it for years (think all of those Windows install files) it has a higher chance to go bad then a regularly accessed file. When a bad sector is accessed, first the hard drive tries to recover the sector internally. If that fails, a message is sent to the operating system stating that the sector is bad.

A scary fact is that most of the raw data read form the platters is bad and has mistakes in it. The checksums and internal recovery mechanisms within modern hard drives are so good that they are able to clean the data and present it to the operating system. If more people understood the inner workings of hard drives, they would certainly back up more.

they would certainly back up more.

Backup, that's the key word.Have an USB disk (if you have a lot of friends) or a second internal disks. Make a ghost backup of your operating system disk, and make disk-to-disk copy of all your personal files (spreadsheets, wordprocessor files, pictures) as frequently as possible: it's just a matter of a link on which to click every day, not more complicated than that.
If you see that your USB disk is dying, simply buy another one and restart a fresh backup. If your computer main disk is dying, no problem, you have two full backups.

I have certainly learned my lesson on backing up. I keep both a local and off site backup. When looking at statistics, the failure rate for a hard drive is almost certain within five years. This means that it’s only a matter of time before that physically spinning piece of metal we call a hard drive decides to die.Last year my main hard drive died and the exact same week my backup USB hard drive decided to die also. To say the least I was not happy. After that I bought a subscription to Amazon S3 via Jungle Disk (https://www.jungledisk.com/). After a few months the storage fees got to be too much so I switched to Carbonite (https://www.carbonite.com/). I have been happy with them thus far and everything backs up in the background automatically. I’m not endorsing either company exclusively but I do believe an online backup in addition to a local backup is a sound backup strategy.

So, you are satisfied with carbonite.I have a few monthes free with my new PC, I was just angry because of the pop-up saying "you did not use your free backup facility, you are not safe", maybe I will consider this more friendly next time.

I started my reply to you and before I knew it I was on page two in Microsoft Word. With an article this big I just decided to start my own topic about Carbonite. http://forums.xisto.com/topic/96780-topic/?findpost=1064399664

Nice reply, nice text, nicely explained.I'm not convinced yet, for that amount of money and such an amount onf disks I would prefer buy one USB disk each year, or a NAS Wifi device.

Technically, you can't do much with bad sectors on your hard disk but it will try to replace those sectors with spare sectors elsewhere on the disk. If it within the warranty period, you should get the hard disk drive replaced ASAP.Unfornuately, for me, it wasn't bad sectors that killed my main boot hard disk a few weeks ago, but some problem which made the whole drive unreadable and unresponsive.

It is a lot of money but the last straw is when my “backup” died within a few days of the original. Just one of those personal lessons that I decided to never live through again. The other reason is I like the idea of an offsite backup. If someone breaks into my house and steals my computer (good Lord help them because it is a 50 pound custom case that I made myself) they will certainly take all of the goodies attached to it. This would include the backup drive. Second example would be a fire that would also destroy the backup drive directly next to the computer.

Nothing!How To Remove Bad Sectors Or Bad Clusters From HDD

There is only one bad sector...The soft bad sector you said is called ERROR..Error can be fix by scandisk and defragmenting...Bad sector are created..If your computer has not shutdown praperly and creating an error. Error is one of cousing badsector..Only the company of your hard drive has the ability to fix badsector on your drive by replacing the disk inside it!^^ .

-reply by Nocturnal33Keywords: how to remove bad sector