xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zip_mc1405241469

Americas Army Any of you play it?

I'm honestly sorry you feel that way, but as a member of the U.S. Navy, I hate to hear how misinformed people are as to what is really happening overthere,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm in the US Army and I also hate how ignorant our citizens can allow themselves to become. I am about to deploy to Iraq and none of my fellow soldiers have the intent to abuse innocent people...or even the enemy for that matter. A couple stories about a few people in a population of hundreds of thousands of servicemen and servicewomen causes you to think that our military is mindless and abusive? I can't remember a single good news story about a school that was rebuilt, or how a community is recovering due to the jobs we've created for those people. Good news doesn't sell like a story about soldiers dying or abusing poor, defenseless Iraqis. Take a bit of time to find out what reality is before dismissing us. We deserve better.

Anyway, I have played AA for over a year now and it is by far my favorite FPS...and was the only FPS I would play for most of that year.

First, it's free. How can you ignore a free game?

Second, even though it's free, it's a high quality game on par with a commercial game that you would pay $20-50 for. I believe it was chosen as one of the best games of 2003 by EGM, which says a lot right there...

Third, it does a good job of demonstrating the way we do things in the Army. I think it's great that you have to complete training to "develop" soldier skills and earn qualifications to be eligible for more advanced training and certain missions. And, the training isn't just a gimme. That's exactly the way it really is. But, the training isn't so difficult (ok, maybe you might have to redo it a couple or a few times, but it can be done with a little patience) that you can't complete all of it so that everyone does get to experience the whole game.

Fourth, the missions and size of teams encourages teamwork. Maybe I'm the minority, but I just don't like the absolute randomness of BF1942 and the like where you just show up in a battle in progress that goes on forever while you continually die and respawn. That bores me quickly. However, accomplishing real objectives against a live, creative and intelligent enemy while trying to keep yourself and your teammates alive is an interesting challenge that keeps me entertained. Get in a clan and go up against other clans and this game is hard to beat.

Americas Army is the best FPS you can legally get for free. I have been playing it for over a year, and it's hard to find a game better than it, even a game you have to buy. I've heard that the game is getting an update; THE UNREAL 3 ENGINE!!!

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Those are screenshots of the beta version of the engine, and they already look more amzaing than any game on the market. If anyone could find any information about this, that'd be sweet.

The gams has become plagued with too much cheats!!! People with auto firing M203, One shot kills... Head shots...I love this game for its team based co-op play, but I hate those cheaters!!!!"And I keep missing advanced marksman by 1 shot :P"Ah nvm, deleted the game to make way for other games :)

"And I keep missing advanced marksman by 1 shot ;)"

It took me a while to get that final shot myself...

I probably played for about four months, before I could go and get Sniper Qualified....

I've never played it. I thought it looked really cool and I liked the training idea. I tried to play it but my computer was too slow for it. :) I like the structured game. the way I see it most first person shooters are just mindless... shooing. Which is okay from time to time, but I like the idea of America's Army, where you have to train and you have, what are they called, honor points? I like a good "story line". Someday i'll try it out.

I don't like AA, they require you to do training, which takes forever.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only training that you have to do right off the bat is Obstacle, weapons and US Weapons. You can breeze through that in seconds....

You are not required to do anything beyond that to play on live servers.....

You need MOAD aswell, which I have still yet to do. I throw in the flash grenade, shoot the targets and nothing happens.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is true, but it is really easy to do....

You have to then proceed through the room and through the tunnels to the building at the other end of the tunnels, take out a few more targets, unlock a gate, and then proceed to the outside of the building to finish the level....

It is really easy.