xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
prolifik

Why you should switch to Firefox now The GDIplus vulnerability

Internet Explorer is faster!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The reason for IE being faster is exactly why anyone shouldn't be using it. See the swift working of it is achieved by integrating it with the windows core. Sure, add something to to OS core, it'll work faster, BUT when someone gets though it (ie. "hacks" the software" all hell is let loose.

All programs have security holes, even Firefox, but security holes in programs running outside the OS core are far less dangerous. To make the situation worse, Internet Explorer has had slightly more holes than its competitiors.

Security-wise Firefox is something that web has really needed. The problem hasn't been lack of relatively secure browser but the fact that people didn't bother installing and using them.

Yeah, i hate IE. There is nothing but hackers trying to get in or problems here and there. So i decided to find something else and firefox is on my list to try. Right now i am experimenting with linux and everything seems to work our great. I am hoping to try firefox soon and see what its all about.

i explain in my pervious few posts in the forum why i stay with ie... i compile my reasons here for why i stay with ie and not moving to firefox... i'm not a supporter of microsoft... i study java and stick with it becuz i don't want to tied to microsoft... but i won't say something not good if its good... i try to be fair when it comes to these things...first of all... ie is faster den firefox... ya of cuz ie is part of the windows so if ie have problems windows likely also have the problems... but u can't say firefox have none... somewhere in the code they do have... why microsoft have more of these problems is partly becuz its popularity, the amount of people using it and the amount of people who hate it... when they exploits these holes... it is pretty bad... for us users... but look at it now... its have really improve alot... its not as vunerable as b4... no security issue doesn't mean no problems... to me... no security issue mean there is holes which are no fix... tats like a living time bomb in your com... basically, all browser is the same... i must agree windows does have higher danger... but as these danger emerge... they continue to fix these problems and slowly... right now... its seems that everything is stablized... and the browser looks more secure den b4... i noe this gdi+ thing can be problematic... but windows have come out with patch for it already... as long as u patch your com... u shldn't have a problem...second of all, sp2 is really a big improvement to windows xp... it comes with pop up block... lets the users noe more abt wads happening... and more initiutive and user-friendly... tons and tons of advantage in sp2 that i myself haven try all but have been impress with wad i seen... previously while i was using wireless... repairing the network, searching the network, checking the network status is such an annoying things... its seems that its connected but the truth is its not... your computer are not assigned an ip address... to know this... u gotta double click the connection and click support tab... and u must have the least knowledge in these field to actually noe that no ip address is assigned to your network... to add a connect to a network... u gotta click configure and den click ok... den u will be connected to a network... sometimes this doesn't work... which really make u so angry... u gotta do it manually... den came the repairing... it just show repairing... and if it fail... it just say fail... no reason at all were given to u... this make me so fustrated... after upgrading to sp2... i got a more user-friendly and intiutive wireless program in windows which make conencting to wireless so easy... this is just one part of the improvement... the other improvement is in the browser... there is a ads/script/plugin block activated for u automatically... u can choose to close it if u want... but anyway... this ads/script/plugin block so user-friendly that having it on or off make no big differences... u rather have it on... becuz its doesn't bother u... whats many these kinda block have in common is that when a popup is block... u doesn't notice... and sometimes... u does want this to happen... becuz not every popup is annoying and it maybe important... sp2 doesn't have this problem... whenever something is block a thin bar appear above your page... telling u wad is happening in short meaningfully sentence... not just a icon or a simple add to the number of popup block which doesn't contribute to anything... if u wan the popup to be enable... u can click it and select some of the options that appear... other den that... u can just ignore it and u won't be bothered... its beautifully tot of and done that i really love sp2 ie...i know sp2 ie can't compare to firefox in some features... like spyware free and tab browsing... to me... tab browsing can be cool but sometimes i can be not... its cool when it began to organizes your browser content... but its is not is when u forgotten where your site lies in which browser... i prefer alt tab... and i do that alot... fo tab browsing aren't very useful to me... so this show its always something every1 need... but its an excellent additional feature so u must give them credit... while for spyware free... i must admit windows have not done that... which is very crucial in todays internet... if they can implement this den i would say ie is almost perfect... but the current ie to me is more den enough... i need...i also format my computer frequently... having to install and setup firefox everytime i format is also very troublesome... so i rather stay with ie... both browser have their advantage and disadvantage... they are par in this... but since i'm using windows (this is when all the hates come in) and my habit... i will continue use ie... unless one day i change os...

first of all... ie is faster den firefox... ya of cuz ie is part of the windows so if ie have problems windows likely also have the problems... but u can't say firefox have none... somewhere in the code they do have... why microsoft have more of these problems is partly becuz its popularity, the amount of people using it and the amount of people who hate it... when they exploits these holes... it is pretty bad... for us users... but look at it now... its have really improve alot... its not as vunerable as b4... no security issue doesn't mean no problems... to me... no security issue mean there is holes which are no fix... tats like a living time bomb in your com... basically, all browser is the same... i must agree windows does have higher danger... but as these danger emerge... they continue to fix these problems and slowly... right now... its seems that everything is stablized... and the browser looks more secure den b4... i noe this gdi+ thing can be problematic... but windows have come out with patch for it already... as long as u patch your com... u shldn't have a problem...

Internet Explorer has far more serious issues with security than Firefox or Opera. Reason? Because they don't upgrade as often, and because their code is poorly written. Trust me, it's a proven fact. Mozilla & Opera have by far better code than IE. And IE is far from getting better, new flaws emerge every day, and they are all reported to microsoft. Many of them have even been left aside by microsoft, flaws detected years ago still haven't been fixed, many people still use IE 5.0 - 5.5 leaving them open for huge security issues. Making a browser that's 100% secure is almost not possible, but consciddering Opera, Mozilla and IE, then you can not conclude anything other than, IE is a Nightmare. And if you don't believe me, ask all those people with pcs flooded with Spy/Ad/diffrent Malware.

second of all, sp2 is really a big improvement to windows xp... it comes with pop up block... lets the users noe more abt wads happening... and more initiutive and user-friendly... tons and tons of advantage in sp2 that i myself haven try all but have been impress with wad i seen...

Bah, Sp2 may have improved security, but even with this so recent improvement, where they could have easily made IE better than any browser available, they did aweful. Their popup blocking is horrible compared to Opera's, they haven't even begun to try and improve IE's rendering engine (which, is just as much of a horror as zombies from Resident Evil). Sp2 comes with alot of security features, but the fact that they're so "user friendly" and "easy to install" makes them unconfigurable and causing thousands of companies today to have to fall back to Sp1 because it caused their entire network to fail, causing terrible economic disasters. Security for those that don't understand it, is and always will be, a laugh. And an economic crisis.

this is just one part of the improvement... the other improvement is in the browser... there is a ads/script/plugin block activated for u automatically... u can choose to close it if u want... but anyway... this ads/script/plugin block so user-friendly that having it on or off make no big differences...

[...]

u does want this to happen... becuz not every popup is annoying and it maybe important... sp2 doesn't have this problem... whenever something is block a thin bar appear above your page... telling u wad is happening in short meaningfully sentence... not just a icon or a simple add to the number of popup block which doesn't contribute to anything... if u wan the popup to be enable... u can click it and select some of the options that appear... other den that... u can just ignore it and u won't be bothered... its beautifully tot of and done that i really love sp2 ie...

Opera has never filtered a popup I did want, and has never failed to filter unwanted popups. And I didn't have to configure one thing about it. Trust me, you're staying with IE, because you have no idea how much crap it really is, because you don't know how good life can get and you've accepted that the uglyness you see on the web, is what you have to accept. Get Opera, enter heaven. Honestly. Btw, Sp2 changed nothing about the browser, as I just said, it's CSS engine is just as terrible and none of the HTML bugs were fixed. IE is a decent designer's Hell.

i prefer alt tab... and i do that alot...

Ctrl-tab. :)

if they can implement this den i would say ie is almost perfect... but the current ie to me is more den enough... i need...

Exactly. Accepting the uglyness of the web. =)

having to install and setup firefox everytime i format is also very troublesome... so i rather stay with ie... both browser have their advantage and disadvantage...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's why Microsoft wins with it's integrated features. They are almost every one of them, buggy, crappy, not configurable, slow, bad, memory sucking, andsoforth, but we use them because we're lazy and ignorant.

It's not timeconsuming at all, as a matter of fact, I do format too very often, and it takes me about 2 minutes to install Opera, FlashFXP (for decent FTP instead of IE :F), Codec packs, Aston Shell replacement, andsoforth. That's not all that troublesome and timeconsuming is it.......? ;O

~lhunath

even if FireFox is more secure , reliable ... not based on ie blah blah blah it's still very early to judge if it's going to replace a REAL browser. .. its features are still very very inmature Maxthon on the other hand , a freeware tabbed browser , tho it is built on IE , but it puts Microsoft in SHAME of what could they have done with thier browser but decided not to ...try it , u wont regret it or leave it :P anyways i've read somewhere that IE can not be updated anymore without updating Windows itself , ie they cant add TABS to ie without adding tabs to Windows explorer itself , because now IE is very very deeply merged with Windows Explorer ... anyways we will have to wait till Longhorn to see if IEs is gonna be any good

I am a firm believer in Free software. I have downloaded Firefox 1.0 now. My company's intranet website does not display correctly on it. The whole page is filled with Client Error: ActiveXObject is not definedCan anyone help me out with this?

Sorry honmore I cant help you with that. maybe your site has some ActiveX(But I dnt know what it is)Yea its true firefox is much...much better than internet explorer. Internet explorer has many bugs and can be easily hijacked. Firefox has got the speed and is really the safest browser. I have tried opera but I somewhat dont like it beacause of that banner on top and also it takes quite a while to start.So, go download firefox get the adblock extention and surf the net without ay stupid ads and pop-ups.

Mozzila Firefox is much faster than Internet Explorer. It is more secure and everything. But I preffer IE and I don't knwo why, it just sems easier to use and very simple. I have also got used to click on Internet Explorer, although if I am in a hurry I use mozzila as its so mcuh faster.

I didn't know About this!!!!!!!!But I already use Firefox! And Mozilla Thunder Bird Is Way BetterThan OE! BEST INTERNET EXPLORER: Mozilla FireFoxBEST MAIL CLIENT: Mozilla ThunderbirdMozilla has been producing some Fine Quality Products for a while!BTW: Firefox is Faster!Nuff' Said

I am a firm believer in Free software. I have downloaded Firefox 1.0 now. My company's intranet website does not display correctly on it. The whole page is filled with
Client Error: ActiveXObject is not defined

Can anyone help me out with this?

The error message suggests that your company uses some ActiveX components in their site design. Firefox purposefully did not support native ActiveX products because they are one of the main methods used by malware disseminators to spread their evil ware. I am not sure if there is an ActiveX plug-in for Firefox right now but the developpers would rather steer clear of it if possible.

Anyway, I use IE only when the site looks crappy in Firefox, which means (most often than not) that the site developers used some IE-based code and/or used some standards-defying code.

If undecided, go for Firefox, you will not regret it.