xisto Community
prolifik

P2P programs(merged) What P2P program are you using?

I hate winmx as it is ugly, slow and unprofessional, have you seen the colours? I have used kazza, however I find it unreliable because the connecrons rarely work well. Then I came across LimeWire which would have to be one of the best p2p programs I had used, because limewire operates at your fastest http speed connection, which kazza and other don't operate at. Lately I have been using DC++ because it has local hub which are handy for national traffic (because I live in New Zealand and hardly anyone has any good servers here, small counrty). DC++ operates much the same as LimeWire but I find more people use DC++, the features of DC++ are more attractive as you can manage who uses your files and other misc. properties more easily then LimeWire.
I reccomend you all try DC++ and find some local servers on the net through a google search.
You can get DC++ at http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/.
Enjoy

By the way I don't use bittorrents any more as they are slow to get up to full speed no matter which torrent program you use.

I desagree with Hercco, I really like Direct Connect, i'm a member of 3 hubs, and seems that your comment: "The hubs often requite ridiculous amount of data to be shared" It's not ridiculous, if you want download, other users also want donwload too, this is the principle of the p2p networks, supose nobody share, there's nobody to download so you can't download anything, if you find ridiculous the sharing size, go to antoher hub with less required data. But if you join to hubs with high sharing, you can find almost all.

greets deivid

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure what the situation is now, but last time I used DC the hubs I wanted to use required several gigas of sharing. It's not problem for me, but for somebody it could. Like I said I don't know what the real situation is now-on and did I just happen to check the wrong hubs.

I use aMule for files hard to find on web pages or other p2p (for example osprey books). DC++ for music and movies. It's not true that you can't download anything if you don't have big sharesize. I have 5 GB of share files and it's enough for me.

so you actually paid  for kazaa ?

ill never understand why people pay for software when the best software is free.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, I didn't pay for it. I wouldn't pay for anything that provides me with free stuff. :) Got it for free.

I'm not sure what the situation is now, but last time I used DC the hubs I wanted to use required several gigas of sharing. It's not problem for me, but for somebody it could. Like I said I don't know what the real situation is now-on and did I just happen to check the wrong hubs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The situation didn't changed much since you last visit to hubs. Like I said, exists hub with high sharing and others with low. I'm a user of one these right now I'm a member of 3, the first hub "the minimun buy in" are 120 Gb and 80 and 60Gb. They are extremly great hubs, I find all movies that i want (i've approximately 970 movies ). Another thing high sharing users mean high bandwidth users (almost always). Well this is mi point of view, maybe others users didin't like dc++ because the sharing, but for me it's great.

Greets Deivid

The situation didn't changed much since you last visit to hubs. Like I said, exists hub with high sharing and others with low.  I'm a user of one these right now I'm a member of 3, the first hub "the minimun buy in" are 120 Gb and 80  and 60Gb. They are extremly great hubs, I find all movies that i want (i've approximately 970 movies ). Another thing high sharing users mean high bandwidth users (almost always). Well this is mi point of view, maybe others users didin't like dc++ because the sharing, but for me it's great.

Greets Deivid

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really love using Direct Connect. I'm using the Opera version which is the same but slightly less buggy and with some other minor improvements. It's wonderful that the people you share with aren't trolls and they are other power users with 80GB+ files on. It's reassuring to know that all the files are good and that you're not wasting hours downloading a file to just realise that it's fake.

I use mostly Limewire mostly and if that dosen't have it i'll try Win MX. Limewire's a bit slow to startup on my comp (I will admit that it is a slow comp :P ) but the range of files is good and I haven't found a single virus or ad/spy/malware yet. BTW both are free and don't come with any spyware which is always good.

Recently discovered Peer2Mail. Do a google search on it, it's very clever and it takes advantage of the new compnaies offering 1GB mail to their clients. It splits up the files into 10MB chunks and lets you send them to each other by mail at fast speeds.

DC++ works fine most of the time! Azureus ( yet another BitTorrent client ).I've also tried Waste, but it needs to be more common. Waste might be the future of filesharing!

I have tried many of the P2P programs. I allso use eMule for "rare" files, but it is SO slow on my computer. I use BitTorrents for movies. That is really nice and fast.Here in my contry there is a lot of focus on not sharing copyrighted stuf. The firm in charge is mostly focusing on DC++, Kazaa and eDonkey. That is why I mainly use BT.