xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kilz

Your Most Favourite Computer Language

the best computer language  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My favourite language is C/C++ cause it was my first language. If you know C you can easily learn PHP, JAVA, JAVASCRIPT, C# which are very similar in writing. Unix/Linux systems are written in C. Almost all commercial games are written in C too.

DELPHI! DELPHI! DELPHI!For me it is Delphi based on the language Pascal. This was the first programming language i learnt. It is actually very similar (syntax wise) to PHP. It is one of the leading software pieces in the industry and is extremely powerful; it can create some powerful applications which can rival most professional and costly programs out there.

In Delphi vs C++ battle there is no winner. Some years ago when there was no Delphi and other object languages C was faster than Pascal and proffesional programmers used it. Now when speed is the same everybody choose language which he likes better.

Hello there,

I'd like to address the statement:

Some years ago when there was no Delphi and other object languages C was faster than Pascal and proffesional programmers used it. Now when speed is the same everybody choose language which he likes better.

Speed is still very much an issue. It is because of this that many programs, once written, will be gone through to determine which portions are really causing a speed issue. Those parts of programs will then be rewritten in assembly, usualy increasing the speed preformance quite a bit.

And this one:

If you know C you can easily learn PHP, JAVA, JAVASCRIPT, C# which are very similar in writing.

While this is true, it is also true to just about every program language. It is not so much about whether you can understand the language, but as to where you can understand programming in general. I could theoretically teach you how to program using pseudocode only, and not teach you any language. Once you understood ever subject, you would have a very good grasp on how to program, in general. You could then take that and apply it to any language at all. The only requirement would be to learn the keywords and syntax specifics for that particular language, which really tens not to vary very much between languages. So this benefit holds true for most languages learned.

My personal choice? I use C/C++/Assembler to do games in. I tend to use C++ when I want to create a tool or application, and if I am in a hurry and want to make a rather small project that is not so important, I'll use Visual Basic. When it comes to writing an entirely textual based application, I have a hunch I would switch to Delphi for this. Should I find myself programming for the web, I would of course be using HTML, and quite possibly a mixture of Java and PHP. Perl and other languages come into play there, too. Your probably realizing that by now I've listed most the languages on the poll. :)

The reasoning behind that is that each language tends to have something that it does better than the other, and can be applied in a way to make use of that. Very interesting poll though, I like to see which language others consider to be their primary language.

speedi3579, you are totally true in technology aspect. However, considering the cost in trainning and learning, it's really difficult for someone to master all the tools. Being a programmer is easy, but it's difficult to be a senior one. So everyone will temp to solve the problem with his/her favourite programming language, with such language, he/she could solve the problem efficiently and make the program stable and readable.So in my opinion, I prefer to C/C++, then we may master a serial tools and enable to solve the problem as veteran.

: While this is true, it is also true to just about every program language.  It is not so much about whether you can understand the language, but as to where you can understand programming in general.  I could theoretically teach you how to program using pseudocode only, and not teach you any language. Once you understood ever subject, you would have a very good grasp on how to program, in general. You could then take that and apply it to any language at all. The only requirement would be to learn the keywords and syntax specifics for that particular language, which really tens not to vary very much between languages. So this benefit holds true for most languages learned.

I know about that and I realised it when I learnt Pascal in 1-2 days cause I must have only know syntax (is this good word? I'm not english speaking). That what I say above was reffered to syntax like loops, if, case and other stuff. There is: for(i=0;i<100;i++) and almost the same for javascript, java, php (the chcange is in $ before var). When I was rewriting code from C++ to Java I had to chcange only functions' names and a few other things in code and it worked :).
Learning programming in some pseudocode is very good, cause then you can learn any language in short time.

Does nobody like the BASIC languages like Dark, True, Visual, am i the only one. I knwo they arent great languages and cant do as much as C for example but come on some of them are cool. Along with GML. I make quite cool stuff with Visual Basic, and some games in GML, nobody is backing me up, why do you all ahve that evil look in your eyes, oh ooooo.

I think Visual basic is a ease and faster programin tool when I need have some many. I like this lenguaje because it's ease and faster but he don't have power. C++ is porwerfull but it's slow tu program a one factured system. If you need to create a simple program to contable your producs this system is you need. But if you need to create a graphic or higer program I think C++ is better. But is my opinion.

There are so many different languages, all aimed at addressing specific problems yet each language can do things better than the others.I sometimes compare languages that can do similar things, e.g. PHP vs Perl for web development, usually I would write in PHP since I'm more familiar around it coming from a C/C++ background, and that would be my only reason for using PHP instead of Perl, although I do know Perl, it's not known to me like the back of my hand.Now in a PHP vs Perl debate, you may find that Perl just out does PHP in many functions involving string and I/O operations, but it's very minimal and unless it was shown for a large scale project, I think Perl might actually be the better of the dynamic languages due to how powerful it is.Although PHP would still be my choice, unless specifically forced to use Perl I know I can still do relatively the same thing, so it's no problem.I prefer C/C++ and ASM, I only program pure ASM for learning programs in ASM or if it's the only way for a specific program (bootloaders, bios routines, etc) but other than that I use C/C++ and Inline Assembly programming.I don't like languages that are OS dependant, that ruins what language means when we speak it, teach it, translate it. So we can write portable code with the know how, but why go to so much trouble when they could have a language that can speak to any OS and they would understand it?I don't like writing portable code, I like writing software and not to worry that it won't be compatible on other systems, but I am made to worry due to the languages I like.Psuedocode should be the ultimate language!Cheers, MC

hi new here...anyway... as expect... most are in c/c++... i'm a java programmer as i learn it from school... java is so darn cool... one for all language... u guys should try it... so my vote on java :):) I'm the only supporter for java... O.oEdited... I'm noe a little on c/c++... becuz i initially started as a c/c++ programmer... half way thru i got into multimedia computing course and began to touch java... i only noe the basic of c/c++ (but i think i forgotten all due to all those java programming... :P )... slowly i began to understand more as for 3 semester i been using java... right nw i feel the power of java... for people like me, i only need to learn java... i can go web service... like jsp... web application like applet... individual program... mobile application... etc... if i want... i can go back to c/c++ as they are so similar... it would be easy to pick up... though it does have it disadvantage... to me... all the advantage it provided beats all... i noe vb does provide almost identical advantage to java... but i wouldn't go for vb becuz it is so restricted to a os... java is a pure object-oriented programming... vb... on the other hand are actually nt... if i am not wrong... u can't have nested function in vb... vb does have it limitation compare to java... its initial programming structure aren't design for hardcore programming rather its design for ease of reading so that people pick up programming easily and fast... so i would choose java over vb...

hi :)i think u have forgot the best and easiest skript language.PHP is easy to learn and i like it because u have not to define the data-types.This is very useful. Another thing is, that u can read a whole line and add eg 5. then if there is a number in this line there will be added 5.greetz :)

I am going to have to agree with tux_linux because I like the internet and you can create some really neat web applications with php. It is very easy to learn and it integrates with HTML..::squirel::.

I love java and php and html they all work together to make one united website... with a little help from flash animations...but there is a very similar topic going witht he exacte same things almost....maybe you should post in that one instead or get the moderators to combine the to.... just maybe

I like C as the general purpose programming language.And I like PHP for scripting.Mainly becasue C is a very powerful language and PHP shares most of the ANSI C functions. So if you know one of the language, its easy to learn other one. Not like perl, which is quite powerful for string manupilation, but it uses totally seperate functions that PHP or C.