xisto Community
dark

Pentium Vs Amd

im an AMD fans, since im a gamer i always go for AMD. Firstly their price are much better than Intel and they are not lock all processor, u can overclock it easier than Intel. although Intel shows you high GHZ but that's not what u actual getting, and the AMD 64 bit is a new generation for processor. i think that's pointless to get old technology and upgrade it a few months later.

Agreed, AMD is the way to looks the future.If Intel doesnt start to think to get out of the problem they created (the race of the Ghz) they're going to be in a really problem.. P4 are getting hotter and hotter... and if they dont change completely their way to make processors they're going to lose a big part of the market.

The Athlon does more per clock cycle, which is why the AMD 1.67 GHz is comparable to the P4 2.2 GHz, but the P4 Northwood has double the cache (512K instead of 256K), which should lead to better performance. The P4 also has SSE2, which is an additional set of instructions for multimedia, which AMD won't be getting, unless Intel says so. I personally am a fan of the AthlonXPs, since I don't have infinite cash, so if money is an object, get one of those and pair it with an nForce motherboard. =)

INTEL vs AMD

Pentium Vs Amd

I'm a computer programmer, id say, intel is far more better than AMD, bc most of newer intel processors nowadays supports Hyper Threading which means you can do multitasking unlike AMDs, and when it come to overclocking, well I've performed overclocking with my pentium d and pentium 4 HT 3.0 and they where good,my pc doesnt overheat unlike AMD. Of course when it comes to quality you can always trust processors with high price bc it only means that they are good as what you expect. If you want to have an ultimate PC then why not try buying more RAMs than buying faster processor, if you intend to buy pc for gaming then you must meet the specs for the gaming pc by researching on the web which PC parts are better, in gaming, why not use a SATA hardisk with 7200 rpm and up then a 2 gig ram and 512mb video card, processors doesn't matter, as long as you have enough ram your gaming pc will work well...

-reply by mackie

What is it with secondhand AMDsPentium Vs Amd

I had a pentium celeron 2.8 ghrtz and 512 ram. With a gforce 6800 with 128mb ram. I had that machine for 6 years and it never gave me one problem. Except for windows dying on me from time to time. But everyone knows that Microsucks Windblows is a virus on its own. And yes I did try gentoo linux. Works well. This pc was a very good medium. Celeron had no campatibility issues with anything whatsoever. I then bought a AMD sempron 3200+ 1.81 ghrtz with 512 ram. SATA kept on giving hardware errors. And the BIOS had a mind of its own. It can in my opinion be compared to a Land Rover. Good 4x4 when it is running. Gives lots of errors. Then I had a pentium 4 with 3ghrtz processor and 2g ram. And that was ok. It had the same problem with reading from storage. The computer restarts with no particular reason or error. The CPU was running at 55degrees celcius. Which is normal. Then I had a AMD athlon 2500+ 1.1 ghrtz processor for experimental purposes. This is of course the worst PC I have ever had. I would like to kill the people who made it. What it all boils down to. If you are looking for a reliable PC. Get another means of communication because you will have your fair share of problems with both. After this 2500+ I am really considering moving to some unevolved africa country and never thinking about Pcs again.

-reply by reitz

Referring to iGuestPentium Vs Amd

That is the most absurd thing I have heard in some time.

The CPU makes or breaks a computer. Of course memory and video play a big part of speed, but without a fast CPU, you will NOT have a fast computer.

-reply by LinuxGod

actually i have had an AMD 1.81 GHz computer and my computer is slow as balls. The computers at my school have Intel and they are way faster than my AMD and they are 1.7 GHz

gotta take into account RAM size as well small RAM means more work for the processor and the HD.My dad's pc is slow, 2 GHz intel processor but the 512 mb ram kills its speed.

Amd vs IntelPentium Vs Amd

Personally I see it as AMD = good for the budget and competitive with the processing power of Intel's finest. I see no problems with either except in price and the chip sets for either one.

"AMD is for High performance and GamingIntel is for Business and Severe Multitasking"

I would have to say yes to that emphasis on business and severe.

'Got money to throw around and not confident in anything else? Go for it, it'll be more comfortable for you.'

Got an HP dv6000 series laptop running vista home premium (yeah boo boo throw up whatever it works), with 2gb RAM and AMD Turion64 x2 2.2 ghz processor and an Nvidia GeForce 7150 graphics card and everything's hunky dory. Running large programs still make it laggy but I find it to be the RAM getting in the way. 2 gigs is definitely not the right size >_<especially for running large programs on vista. Price-wise two years ago it was 900+ dollars for this (with AMD) and something like 1190 or 1200+ dollars for an Hp using intel, not sure why but I'm guessing perhaps it has to do with the chipsets from intel costing more.

@iGuestI agree - 512MB must be slowing you down a lot. Some time back, I upgraded my computer's memory from 512MB to 3GB (which is the maximum supported on the 32-bit Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3) and it now feels so much quicker for common activities such as surfing the Internet while editing files in Microsoft Word 2007 and Microsoft Excel 2007.BTW, the clock speed (GHz/MHz) does not really have much significance if you are comparing processors from different vendors or different generations. A Pentium-4 1.8 GHz does not perform the same as an Intel Core Duo 1.8 GHz processor.

Hi
I have been an intel pentium consumer for years but was wondering what are the pros and cons to both chips?
I am not ready to buy a new PC, my current one is fine but shall I look at switching to AMD when the day will come?
I have heard AMD is better and faster than pentium but nothing more really.

Thanks

Patrick

do anybody know,how to compare amd and pentium processors.as i know,amd does't provide megahurtz(mhz) rating..why???
how to know the amd processors speed compared with mhz frequency of intel processors????

as i know,amd does't provide megahurtz(mhz) rating..why???

They do provide the speeds of their processors. Buying a processor without know its speed would be rather pointless. Most retailers list the frequency along with the model number, but if not check out this page on AMD's website:

http://products.amd.com/en-us(X(1)S(uij1b245xvcxoy45rzf40yvp))/pages/desktopcpuresult.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

You can filter by the CPU type, power requirements, pretty much any statistic. And listed alongside each processor is its frequency in MHz.

Hi!@onkarnath2001AMD does provide the GHz frequency on its website - you can simply look up the processor that you want the frequency for and there you go! You might be aware that Intel hasn't been using the processor frequency for identifying its processors either so you'll end up going to the Intel website to figure out what the clock frequency of the processor is.BTW, why would you want to know the clock frequency? They're a very bad indicator of processor performance especially when you are comparing different processor families, or in your case different processors from different manufacturers. Instead, look at the benchmarks posted on several hardware review sites such as TomsHardware and you'll get a detailed comparison of the two processors that you are looking for. TomsHardware also benchmarks processors against a previous generation of CPUs so you'll know how a new processor outperforms its predecessors.

So can anyone just come out and give some real pros and cons about AMD and Intel. I've heard that Intel has always been better. Is this changed recently? I am a fan of good computers and I have always had trouble with them. In my opinion Intel is a more sophisticated processor and has been in the market for long time. How can the AMD processor be cheaper and work better? How is that possible?