xisto Community
dark

Pentium Vs Amd

HiI have been an intel pentium consumer for years but was wondering what are the pros and cons to both chips?I am not ready to buy a new PC, my current one is fine but shall I look at switching to AMD when the day will come?I have heard AMD is better and faster than pentium but nothing more really.ThanksPatrick

my sugestion is to buy AMD 64...because is better and cheaper then Intel's processors...why better?AMD 3800+ can compete with Intel's most powerful processor for Desktop computers,Pentium 4 3,46 GhZ EE(which costs like 4 x AMD 64 3800)...so there's no doubt...AMD is the better solution...for now;)

I am pretty sure AMD is not only faster but it is better, and longer lasting, meaning that its performance in not going to change in a year. It is also better for gaming, it performs better over all, and it is cheaper. So i would recomend to go with AMD!

Now everyone knows about hardware and most will say AMD is better in a broad sense. But actually it depends on your requirement. If you want to do some serious video stuff then you are better off with a Celeron D than a AMD64. And a PIV or mp3's. Most of the people will laugh, but only untill they know the truth about them. The main reason for AMD being in the spot light is because of its price-performance ratio. ;)

AMD IS RECOOMENDED by most of gamer while amny programmrs claim they need to reboot thier machine while using apps like ms visual studio i dont know who is faster but interl is quite fast and less crashy processor and i heard very few problems from it.

Yeah, AMD is good that doesn't mean that intel is bad. There is no problem with intel. All processors are checked properly before they are packed. So you don't have to worry about it. Both have their pros and cons but I think AMD finally wins. I have an AMD myself.

Yeah, AMD is good that doesn't mean that intel is bad. There is no problem with intel. All processors are checked properly before they are packed. So you don't have to worry about it. Both have their pros and cons but I think AMD finally wins. I have an AMD myself.

54564[/snapback]

I have an AMD as well, and it was well worth it. I used to have a 1GHz Pentium III, which was really fast, but it overheated easily and whatnot. Now I have an AMD Sempron 3000+, which is twice the speed of my P3, and even with the same amount of RAM and video memory, this computer is noticeably MUCH faster, not just when gaming, but faster overall. Plus, it was much cheaper than a P4 chip, which is fast, too, but is best for certain applications.

The Celeron, on the other hand, is pretty much the red-head stepchild of the Intel family. It's cheaper, because it's production costs are much lower compared to the P4, as they are easier to make, and because of lesser performance. They're almost always used in budget machines. Though that's not to say they're not good, they're just not recommended.

Well, I'm Intel fan, and I don't play games that much, and the games I play, aren't that powerfull they require me to have cutting edge machine :D I use my comp primarily for programming, and so far, I have no objections on my Celeron performance.I agree about Celeron being a budget cpu, and it doesn't have that good results in benchmarks... However, when I was buying my comp, I had limited funds, and I went for Celeron, being such Intel fan (one and only AMD I had died on me, so I kind of hate AMD's ;)). I must say, that this Celeron fullfills my needs totaly, and if you want to have the ultimate gaming machine, I agree with everyone... Go tor AMD. I would suggest wich one, if I only knew which models are available :P I kind of dropped out of the loop with cpu's and hardware in general

You say Pentium vs AMD, but you don't say a specific version of AMD, AthlonXP, Duron, Athlon64, FX...There are a lot of threads about the same topic, you may want to search through them.

One thing to point out aboutthe two processors is that you see intel's processors usually run at a lot more higher speeds that the AMD, but if you use an AMD you can actually notice that the comuter will run smoother and faster, than with Intel.

One thing to point out aboutthe two processors is that you see intel's processors usually run at a lot more higher speeds that the AMD, but if you use an AMD you can actually notice that the comuter will run smoother and faster, than with Intel.

54925[/snapback]

Yeah, they seem pretty reliable. My old Pentium III would run fast sometimes, then horribly slow other times. Now my AMD would run evenly fast at good speeds all the time.

i've always bought AMD just because its been cheaper, but the next cpu i'm buying is going to be a pentium. for games when they first start up you'll see "Works best with Nvidia" or "Runs best on Pentium IV" and i'm starting to see why. higher end games if you want to completely max them out need are going to need a pretty good Pentium processor, but for AMD you would need one of the best to render the same game graphics.... so that is my view on this whole shindig