xisto Community
HoRuS

Scripts? what are they?

HeyI learned php programming in a few months but my problem is, wich programming "scripts" are better, there are a lot as I can see...I know php is html alike but how does all the others work like ColdFusion, Perl and Java?I want my site to get the best scripts and all possible features to make it awesome but on php alone I can't build an original site, it would be based on forums only.I see lots of sites with php but they are more like "sites" then forumbased.Can anyone tell me what all these scripts are?Peace ;)

Hey

I learned php programming in a few months but my problem is, wich programming "scripts" are better, there are a lot as I can see...

I know php is html alike but how does all the others work like ColdFusion, Perl and Java?

I want my site to get the best scripts and all possible features to make it awesome but on php alone I can't build an original site, it would be based on forums only.

I see lots of sites with php but they are more like "sites"  then forumbased.

Can anyone tell me what all these scripts are?

Peace ;)

53147[/snapback]

You do not have to use the most scripts the best in order to create a nice site. There is a lot that can be achieve by using CSS properly. Then use PHP in your site if you need to provide server side functionality. Let's say database access or functions. Also do not think that PHP was created to provide Forum functionality. PHP is a great Web technologie which can be used to build a lot of functionality and using it in forums is just the top of the iceberg.

scripting is not for making your site look nice. scripting is for adding functionalitly to your site. it is COMPLIMENTARY to HTML/CSS. So, the statement "PHP is HTML" isn't quite right.

As for other scripting languages, they all are COMPLIMENTARY to HTML and work the same way as PHP. The differences are in the functionality where one scripting language is stronger than the other.

I want my site to get the best scripts and all possible features to make it awesome but on php alone I can't build an original site, it would be based on forums only.I see lots of sites with php but they are more like "sites" then forumbased.

I have no idea what you mean here. You are saying php is only good for fourms then, your next line says that they are more for "sites" than forums.. I am confused.

In any case, there are both forums AND "Sites" that use php. This forum is run on php. The "sites" that are run off php are those that use a php content management system like phpNUKE. If you want an original site, you cannot use these type of canned php sites. you must write your own php scripts.

well hmm its good that you know php i never tried it thoughi m looking for some shoutbox cripts i heard some sites have flash component of shoutbox script anyone find it pls post reply here.maybe that will help me cause it is better than guestbook.

Forum based php? My website is ran through a script that takes posts from PhpBB and puts them on the website through the php script. https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpbbfetchall/ It's cool, check out my site to see an example. As for a shoutbox script, look at http://www.fusionphp.net/

scripting is not for making your site look nice.  scripting is for adding functionalitly to your site.  it is COMPLIMENTARY to HTML/CSS.  So, the statement "PHP is HTML" isn't quite right. 

As for other scripting languages, they all are COMPLIMENTARY to HTML and work the same way as PHP.  The differences are in the functionality where one scripting language is stronger than the other.

I have no idea what you mean here.  You are saying php is only good for fourms then, your next line says that they are more for "sites" than forums.. I am confused.

In any case, there are both forums AND "Sites" that use php.  This forum is run on php.  The "sites" that are run off php are those that use a php content management system like phpNUKE.  If you want an original site, you cannot use these type of canned php sites.  you must write your own php scripts.

53155[/snapback]

I used some systems like phpNuke, phpBB and PostNuke but they all don't fit me...

But what I meant was I saw sites based on php but they were not forumbased, meaning they didn't look like the forums at all... The problem with most systems I worked with was the other pages were similar to the forums.

You do not have to use the most scripts the best in order to create a nice site. There is a lot that can be achieve by using CSS properly. Then use PHP in your site if you need to provide server side functionality. Let's say database access or functions. Also do not think that PHP was created to provide Forum functionality. PHP is a great Web technologie which can be used to build a lot of functionality and using it in forums is just the top of the iceberg.

Please how do I use CSS? I know it's related to the lay out but I havent dared to edit it yet lol

I think I really need links to sites about php other then phpBB, phpNuke or phpHacks.

Thanx all for the info ;)

The problem with most systems I worked with was the other pages were similar to the forums.

that's your problem. you cannot use any of those canned php "systems" if you want an original site. php is simply a way to add functionality to your site. it doesn't make it look good.
i don't use any php "systems" but what I do is use php to create functions that will help me create webpages. For example, if I put some graphical box around some text, I can write a php script to output the same box by simply calling a function like "box ($text);" which will put a box around my text.

Ok, it seesm I still have a lot to learn heheh...Thanx for all the advice ;) But do you know some sites where I might learn more about all these languages like php and all?

Too bad it isn't in English :P (yet)
Thanx tho, I'll keep an eye on that version, currently I am using This version of phpBB... also awesome... too many scripts to choose from... :(