xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Ubuntu Linux Cds For Free (incl. Shipping) Grab it right now...

I got my 10 CDs delivered yesteray. All I want to know now is that can I install Ubuntu Linuxwithout having to remove my installation of Windows. Should be two seperate boots so that it would ask me which OS I want to run. If anyone knows any information on that, please post. Thanks.

Hi,I too received my CD's two days back. I did not expect it to be delivered so soon. The distribution contains a live cd, which u can use to run linux without installing on ur hard disk. Just put in the cd and boot using that... and lo... ur linux is on....I have not tried it out completely, but wud do it soon. It has been less than a month since I ordered.Also I have not tried the installation, but live Cd gave me no problems except that the music player does not play mp3 that it is supposed to.It gives an error 'no plugin found'.Has anyone encountered such a problem. If u know the solution pls do post.Also, yeah Nils has got some good reasoning there. It wud cost them less than advertising otherwise. and this way more people wud experience it.But earlier most companies restricted it to certain country not acknowlodging the fact that computers and OS are used worldwide and u need to reach out everywhere if u want acceptance.I also gave off a few to my friends, a few more to go.. I suppose I wud be short soon.... but nyway I can always burn copies if the distro is good enough..Cheers.

I have't received my CD's yet. It's been a month since I ordered.

I got my 10 CDs delivered yesteray. All I want to know now is that can I install Ubuntu Linuxwithout having to remove my installation of Windows. Should be two seperate boots so that it would ask me which OS I want to run. If anyone knows any information on that, please post. Thanks.

You have to partition your drive to make a new file system for Linux. It can't work on FAT or NTFS. So make one drive empty and depending on the size partition your system. Usually you'll have a wizard so you'll just have to enter the drive for installation and the size for the partition and then it is very simple you can install like XP.
I have already posted on that you can see it somewhere in the OS's forum in Linux.
:)

They havent released the cds yet...it says on their site that they release the cds in april so you will recieve them in mid april :) but I ordered 10 of the 86x and 5 of the PowerPC and 5 of the AMD64 one....so im all set....i orginally was goign to get 80 86x and 10 AMD64 but its not fair to the company. But linux rules!!!! thanks for that link man you rock!!!

you can order for a free ubuntu cd and they will send it to you for free............its 100% TRUEi have tried and i got the cd in 5 weeks and also in safe courieri will tell every one should ask for one......all the best

you can order for a free ubuntu cd and they will send it to you for free............its 100% TRUE
i have tried and i got the cd in 5 weeks and also in safe courier
i will tell every one should ask for one......
all the best

Might want to wait for a week or two until the new version is available. I have heard that April 23rd (or was it April 26th?) is the release date for Ubuntu 9.04 (9 being the year and 04 being April).
Looking forward to the new version. I'll likely download an upgrade from 8.10 off the net and order the CD as a backup version.

Keep in mind that the CD's are given out on a need basis... They don't have unlimited funds so they can only give out X cd's(dvd's) a month... They're really for those who can not download the image files due to the size.Of course you're free to do as you wish, but as a courtesy it would be better if people who can download the images did so instead of taking away from those who can't.

Might want to wait for a week or two until the new version is available. I have heard that April 23rd (or was it April 26th?) is the release date for Ubuntu 9.04 (9 being the year and 04 being April).Looking forward to the new version. I'll likely download an upgrade from 8.10 off the net and order the CD as a backup version.

Exactly the thing I do every upgrade. You can preorder a CD of 9.04 from several days ago, I ordered one yesterday! They usually arrive 3-4 weeks after the order, in this case after Jaunty gets out :P

I just pre-order the CD via ShipIt and upgrade via the upgrade manager, a process that took long when I had a slower connection and upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04.

Pity, that my CD-rom isn't working for several months now, if it was I'd do a clean install because of the whole **** installed and not touched for 1 year and several months (only 1.5 GB currently free on my HD), I'm planning on buying an external USB CD-rom drive, but I'm not sure if it'll work on Ubuntu with just plugging it in.
Any recommendation for an external CD tray?

I heard about different Linux Versions..ubuntu,Opensuse,Fedora,Mandriva,Slackware,Knoppix,Debian etc..I have experiance with Opensuse 11,Fedora 9,Mandriva and Especially Ubuntu 8In my opinion Opensuse 11 is better than all other..Ubuntu 8.04 CD is available as free.Sp please search in Google.You must register to get free CD by post.Opensuse 11.1(newest version) is freely downloadable from website opensuse.orgFedora is also freely available to download..