xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NNNOOOOOO

Gathering Data Through Gps Technology?

Is it possible to do what I'm about to explain?

Make a device that can determine speed using GPS technology. Than get a tri-axle accelerometer. Then build another device that'll record the data given by both to a SD card. Then design a program that defines a coordinate system that defines my house as (0,0,0) with dimensions of 503mi. I then take my 3 part system and take it on a drive around town.

When I'm back at home, I take the collected data from the SD card and run it through the program. The program takes the data and used it to trace a path in the 3D grid. If the starting point (0,0,0) is the same as the end point, the the recorded data is very accurate and the same path can be retraced with a new set of data. However, if the points are way off, then it's back to the drawing board. We'll say that for it to be considered accurate, it has to be accurate up to 1/23mi.

I'm sure that doing something like this is possible. There are many products that allow you to do something like this. As for building one yourself, I'm unsure of how long it would take.

I have no idea, but it's a cool project. I love playing with my GPS. It sounds awesome to use it in a project, but I don't know anything about this kind of stuff. I don't know what a 3-axis accelerometer is supposed to do. So what's the end result supposed to be? A track on a 3D grid?

I have no idea, but it's a cool project. I love playing with my GPS. It sounds awesome to use it in a project, but I don't know anything about this kind of stuff. I don't know what a 3-axis accelerometer is supposed to do.
So what's the end result supposed to be? A track on a 3D grid?

Yes it is. An accelerometer is a device that measures acceleration in the unit of G. A 3-axis one measures it in, well, 3 axis (x ,y, and z). But then I was thinking, if an accelerometer measures acceleration, The data can also be used to determine velocity without GPS.

there is a device called IMU. If you buy a 9 degree of freedom IMU you will get every thing you need except the gps chip you chould get it you self and design a communication system (probably with a microcontroller like at91sam7x) which puts data gathered from gps and imu together and sends it through serial protocol (RS232) to a laptop which logs the data. Regular 9dof imu consist of these parts :300?/s single-axis gyro300?/s dual-axis gyrotriple-axis accelerometertriple-axis digital magnetometerwith these parts and gps data you can be accurate upto 10mm ! and this what is used in mapping robots which maps a building (like stairs, rooms , ...).So building what you've mentioned is very easy :D .

there is a device called IMU. If you buy a 9 degree of freedom IMU you will get every thing you need except the gps chip you chould get it you self and design a communication system (probably with a microcontroller like at91sam7x) which puts data gathered from gps and imu together and sends it through serial protocol (RS232) to a laptop which logs the data. Regular 9dof imu consist of these parts :300°/s single-axis gyro
300°/s dual-axis gyro
triple-axis accelerometer
triple-axis digital magnetometer
with these parts and gps data you can be accurate upto 10mm ! and this what is used in mapping robots which maps a building (like stairs, rooms , ...).
So building what you've mentioned is very easy :D .

Hmmm...... I'll look more into that. Looks very interesting.

Just found this:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Edited by NNNOOOOOO (see edit history)

Garmin nuvi has improved model in market. It collects a lot of data via GPS. You can even mark some item and let your machine know about it. By marking and using the user content, something like checkpoint or so data can be effectively used with such GPS gadgets. not sure if you seen that model, so just saying.