xisto Community
rvalkass

Ubuntu, Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat Released

The latest versions of the Ubuntu family of operating systems were released yesterday.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ new features (in Kubuntu) include improved Netbook usability, an improved installation process, vastly updated package manager, a brand new web browser and improved Bluetooth and audio device support. Pretty much every package has also been updated to the latest and greatest version.Anyone upgraded yet?

Sounds good my man!Running 10.4 here with plenty of customization packages etc.. and a fresh install is called for, downloading the ISO now and the other linux guy in the office is going with a web-update through the package manager. I Really hope it's a little fresher than 10.4, nothing wrong with it but it doesnt feel massively fresh or clean. May well install KDE over the top of 10.10, we will see i suppose.

Looks like some good new improved features like android and flash support. I mean flash support is limited to browsers and i don't know why it is flashed like that. Maybe because adobe dropping apple ? anyway good to see flash officially on ubuntu. Maybe i'm missing it on earlier release but is this the first version flash is officially ported to ubuntu ?

I r dissapoint.I dont see much difference at all, new icons and new font but that's it. Only had it in 10 minutes but meh, first impressions are meh.

Just finished installing it through the internet. Start-up time seems slightly quicker and start-up overall seems more stable, but i don't entirely remember the 10.04 fresh-install speed. Default X11 ATI drivers are still buggy (and i don't expect them to be stable for any later versions of Ubuntu). The KDE desktop effects cause the system to freeze with the default X11 ATI drivers. Haven't tried the proprietary ones yet (need to restart first), but the proprietary ones tend to fail to load on start-up. Hopefully, that problem isn't still present with this version.My interest with this version concerns mostly the development packages, specifically the Qt library. Qt Creator 2 is in the repos with Qt 4.7. 4.7 introduces a declarative UI framework that i am interested in trying out.

I agree with makesh2k that its looks like some good new improved features like android and flash support. He mean flash support is limited to browsers and i don't know why it is flashed like that. Thanks for the info. Hope this will help you. Keep sharing.

The latest versions of the Ubuntu family of operating systems were released yesterday.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

The new features (in Kubuntu) include improved Netbook usability, an improved installation process, vastly updated package manager, a brand new web browser and improved Bluetooth and audio device support. Pretty much every package has also been updated to the latest and greatest version.

Anyone upgraded yet?

Thanks for the info rvalkass..

Right now, I am downloading Ubuntu, and hope will be able to understand that how to use it....
Actually, I earlier tried installing and using ubuntu, installing was easy, but, using it, was bit difficult as I am only used to MS Windows. But, after seeing the screenshots of latest versions of ubuntu and kubuntu, I am really impressed. Its looking really nice and much better than even windows 7, at least in my opinion.
And, after trying ubuntu, will also try kubuntu...hope this time I will not have to regret and will be able to run internet in them, as this is the main problem I faced with them..... :lol:

Kubuntu is slightly similar to windows in that it has the application menu where Start is on MS, but in truth the basics are all the same, clicking, double and right, all do the same things as do most keyboard shortcuts.for day to day use you dont need to relearn much at all, it gets complex when something goes wrong, then you need to learn fast ;)Still dont see much difference with the new version though...

Gnome is seriously copying apple in all possible way. Look at the recent changes in window management theme. Though there is option to revert back to another windows like display. but what's the point? they are completely copying the platform looks. anyway we hardly argue about that point because KDE=copy of windows and gnome=copy of apple osx. so their new features are likely to be from these platforms most of time.

It's the other way around ;)OSX is based on linux, indeed it is so heavily based on linux is virtually IS linux (or *nix, should i say).Same goes for windows, things like windows 7 and Vista Aero and other GUI effects are all based on KDE and Gnome effects like Compiz which were around LONG before Gates copied the idea.The only thing that apple and MS invented before *nix is instability ;)

It's the other way around ;)
OSX is based on linux, indeed it is so heavily based on linux is virtually IS linux (or *nix, should i say).

Same goes for windows, things like windows 7 and Vista Aero and other GUI effects are all based on KDE and Gnome effects like Compiz which were around LONG before Gates copied the idea.

The only thing that apple and MS invented before *nix is instability ;)

OS X is based on MACH BSD. Just kernel from the OpenBSD is ported and rest of the development is within apple under ground bunkers. So no linux there.

Windows rolled out WinFS, AERO, Wallop and other graphical rich demos during XP launch but didn't put it to execution because graphics/CPU intensive releases of those projects. It was way before compiz.You can read paul theurots blog if you want to know more about it. It was not gates idea at all behind those projects. Only AERO made it to the windows 7 and rest of the projects are dumped. WinFS which was the best file system improvement project was somehow dropped. Many people claim that resurrecting that project could help a lot with defragmentation and other issues of FS.

Not true about instability point - Ubuntu on 512MB ram is unstable when all the graphics bells are on. It hangs for more than 15 min so in many cases. Same is the case with KDE 4 improvements. Graphical programs do give instability irrespective of platform. if we want stability then we have to go back to CLI age.

But if we are talking about two machines with identical specs running similar graphical options and programs (for example moderate effects enabled in vista/7 and in ubuntu MM both running their default browser (not firefox, whatever else MM came with Vs IE) with a couple of file manager windows open (so Dolphin and Explorer) and then doing everyday office work (a little word processing in OO.o Vs MS Office and other general work) the Linux machine will be much more stable over time. My linux machine at work is on all week and doesnt slow down or become unstable, windows on the other hand slows right down by the end of the week.The other linux guy i work with has left his machine on for months without a crash or slowing down.I work in a school and the number of windows machines that have strange problems like over time a user will get "stuck" and not be able to log on requiring one of us admins to login and remove the user from the users list (otherwise the machine tries to authenticate between the network and the local machine and it cant, all users should be removed from the local list on logout) or general corruption errors leading to machines in endless reboot cycles or a situation where windows hangs for an infinite amount of time on a network login until one of us re-images the machine or manually removes the network client, removes the local user directories and users and reinstall the client.All the servers run on Nix, my main machine in the office is Nix and it is my belief that if we were fully Nix and taught the users then we would be in a better position.

Microsoft Word on Windows and OSX will not show you any difference in performance. Word under win4lin or crossover will have it's issue irrespective of RAM and other system resource for linux. Open office leaks more memory and has more crashes on windows and OSX than linux. Ask people out there how many tiems OO crashes on windows and OSX. The number is more on OSX than on windows. OO obviously performs better on linux plus releases and fixes are quick on linux. Firefox eats more memory irrespective of the operating system. I'm sure this is where chrome will take over it soon. Games is another thing which game development companies decide based on the profitable platform. So fat windows and OSX are the profitable platform because people actually think about spending money on there. Performance wise graphically rich games are there on windows than osx and linux. OSX lost flash as gaming platform whereas linux platform thrived on getting it on their platform. OSX needs to come up with their own directx like sdk for gamers if they want to attract more customers.I do agree that for server side linux performs well especially if we work on php. That aside limited students using lab for windows server 7 installation will have no issue imo. But that depends on what we do with it.

Undoubtedly there is a lot of weight on the link between the higher applications like office and the deeper systems of the operating system but i still maintain that if you need 100% uptime, reliability, stability, speed and security you simply have to use linux. In mission critical environments you cant risk the instability of windows. The only reason we use windows on the workstaions here is for the benefit of the kids who arent taught ICT anymore they are taught "How to use microsoft windows XP" and "How to use microsoft office".The irony is before i started here they used OO on all the machines, then we had problems because users were using MS word at home and couldnt open the ODT documents saved here at home. So we changed to office 2003, all was going fine until office 2007 comes out, we install that and instantly have issues because people who use OO or MS office 2003 at home now cant open .docx files and then an even weirder error where if a user logs on to an older machine (Where we updated office 2k3->2k7 rather than fresh install of XP and then office 2k7) and do some work in office 2007, then log off when they next log on to that machine it will give an "Access denied" to all documents opened in office. Even to uys as admin users with 0 restrictions we get denied access to documents. The only way to solve it is to restart the machine and clean the cache which office somehow stores clearing out the stored permissions. Linux doesnt do that ;)

If you're talking about mission critical environment where people make money, profit and userbase then linux is NOT the way to go. It saves money on building things but kills many small aspects of business where people need to be rewarded for work. Reliable ? Most of OEM windows installations never had that issue. Still using windows XP and have no major issue. Uptime ? not using server on daily basis so can't comment. security ? never failed by windows. speed ? fine. Never had issue with access denial for office 2007. not sure if it's office error or license manager error. Most of OEM installations never had such issue for me with office/OS.