xisto Community
Soviet Rathe

Good Monitor Brand?

alright I'm looking for a monitor, I was hoping for a 23"I have this in mind -

//link dead//

I heard acer is a cheap brand, is this true? do you know of something better? my budget is $160 including shipping, and I want at least a 23"

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

Acer seem to flip somewhat randomly from the worst of the budget-end products to manufacturing some pretty decent stuff. I have managed to find the sum total of zero reviews for that monitor, except for a few user reviews on shopping sites. The specs for the monitor look good, but remember that manufacturers basically make up a few numbers and fill the specification with them. When it comes to monitors the information is very hard to test, if possible at all, due to the lack of standards. Where it is possible, the kit required is expensive and noone bothers to check. My advice would be to look at the monitor in a shop and see if the image quality is up to your standards. Also check for input lag if that is something that bothers you, the quality of the stand and screen casing, etc.

There were a bunch of good reviews from people who bought it from newegg, and I can't really go anywhere that might have this monitor of display. you have anything you can suggest to me other then this?

I could suggest to get Lenovo thinkvision monitor, which usually works very well, even though it might be be a bit more expensive, but in my opinion it's worth the quality it gives.I am using Lenovo thinkvision 22 widescreen monitor for over a year now and am very happy with the quality of the screen. :)

I have Dell IN191ON for my desktop. It is wide 19'' monitor and with LCD screen. I prefer LCD screen these days as it is working fine for me. Viewsonic and LG are expensive option in comparison to this Dell monitor so i didn't opted for it. But if you don't have Dell arround then you can look for LG studio series.

To each his own, as they say. Some folks prefer Dell while other prefer LG. There are some offerings unique to some vendors, such as the 10-point multi-touch screen is only available from 3M so, in the words of Guybrush Threepwood, the self-proclaimed mighty pirate, when there's only one candidate, there's only one choice.I have used Dell and HP, and seem to find the HP ones better. I would like to try out a Lenovo at some point because the LCD display screens on the Thinkpad are pretty good - they seem to minimize eye strain when compared to Dell's screens and HP is somewhere between on the continuum of the two.Lenovo has dealers for its notebooks and desktop across the globe, but I have yet to find a dealer who sells Lenovo peripherals and accessories. The trademark keyboard with TrackPoint is available as a USB keyboard and would make a really good addition to just about any desktop to give it that Thinkpad feel. The docking stations for notebooks provide the ability to leave the desk by simply getting it out of the docking station so you don't have too many wires to hook up and unhook when moving between a desk and computing on the go. The Thinkpad branded mouse is overpriced and I would prefer a Logitech instead because of the programmable buttons but I guess corporate buyers would want one to complete the 'look'. I guess the lack of availability of the Lenovo peripherals and accessories is because of the lack of demand, more than anything else.

I'm not really biased for or against any companies when it comes to monitors. I've had Dells, HP's, Acer's and Samsung's. Out of all of these, my Samsung was by far the most expensive but also is the most vibrant (I've had it probably 7-8 years now with no issues). But even with other, cheaper monitors I haven't had any real problems. I do a lot of gaming and all but even if the color is slightly dulled it doesn't make a big difference to me and is negligible most of the time.As for quality, I'd say that most should be about equal when it comes to the major companies.

I put my money on two companies, samsung and AOC. Samsung when I can afford it since it is much expensive than all the other brands around here but it is definitely worth it. AOC is comparatively cheaper but still gives you a decent and I mean strictly decent quality... I use an AOC as a spare since my eyes don't really do well with their monitors for some reason.The Samsung monitor though is beautiful :lol: I do have a problem with widescreen monitors though, for some reason they really bug me because of how pages look on a widescreen monitor as compared to a square one which is why I veer towards the samsung monitor more since it is a square one.

The Samsung monitor though is beautiful :lol: I do have a problem with widescreen monitors though, for some reason they really bug me because of how pages look on a widescreen monitor as compared to a square one which is why I veer towards the samsung monitor more since it is a square one.

I completely agree with you on this. I've never liked widescreen and don't understand why it's become the norm. Even when movies had widescreen and normal versions I couldn't stand wide. Now there's not much of a choice.

I am running a dual-monitor setup right now with one wide (23" Acer) and one square (19" Samsung). It's a little awkward having two different resolutions and all but I find it to be a lot better than running two wides.