xisto Community
inea

Internet Explorer 9 Beta It looks like Chrome

The new version of Internet Explorer  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The new version 9 beta of Internet Explorer looks a lot like Google Chrome. Maybe Microsoft agrees that a lot of the functionalities of Explorer 8 are not needed. And the loads of functions makes the browser slow probably.

Edited by inea (see edit history)

Correction - It's not a lot like Chrome, its the best features of Firefox and Chrome and Opera that are put together. Consider the BIG BACK BUTTON from firefox, small space taken by Chrome and start up page with website panels from Opera. The new browser is also very, very fast to start up in Windows 7 (i think it preloads it or something) and you can combine it with Windows 7, and use jumplists, pin websites to taskbar,etc. that you can't do with any other browser. So, Microsoft has the advantage on the OS -- the biggest advantage it has. The loading time in IE9 is faster than or fast as Firefox but not faster than Chrome. Some websites take a second to load and some take like 10-20 seconds. It's pretty unstable right now, but Microsoft has promised to fix that in the Final version. IE9 Beta also hangs ALOT and sometimes it just gets stuck for no reason and than you have to "end process" on it. Thats why I'm not using it full time -- yet. I did the ACID3 test (yea, I did them from http://acid3.acidtests.org/ cause I don't trust reviews :D ) and turns out that Chrome got a score of 100, Opera - 100, Firefox 3 (didn't test 4 beta) - 93 and IE9 Beta- 95. BUT Microsoft also said that they will bring IE9 to 100 soon. IE9 loads HTML5 beautifully, way better than Chrome or anything else... the second best part. All we can do for now is just wait and see the Final versions of Firefox 4 and IE9... Chrome and Opera updated a little more than a week ago. So, I think this is going to be slow. And who knows? IE9 might pick itself outta the ashs. :)BTW - I'm not gonna even vote in that *BLEEP* poll... and if anybody is gonna rule the world, its probably Google. :P

BTW - I'm not gonna even vote in that *BLEEP* poll... and if anybody is gonna rule the world, its probably Google. :P

Thanks for the usefull and interesting information.
And for your information: It is allowed to type the word Funny.

Hello there,I am been testing IE 9 just under a week now and find it a little unreliable. The speed seems to be fine though still not as fast as good chrome. I like the new features such as the Disable Addons faster speeds and it explains any addons you may run inside of IE will slow down and page showing quicker and tells you the amount of time it adds on before it loads. I also like the new tab starting page that seems to stand out from other browsers. I like the new toolbar up top seems to be more modern and looks great in Windows 7 and Vista then again you are not able to try this if you are on Windows XP. Some of my popular websites I visit and even my own blogs do not display correctly which is rather annoying as they do in all other browsers.That's me finished :).

Seems that Windows 7 got a quite "good" OS which is stable and usable, also it seems that IE9 might be a good browser and it can be enough for simple people using a computer, somehow it seems that Microsoft is moving the right path with some software? It seems that even their antivirus software Microsoft Security Essentials is quite good? Sometimes when I think about it, they made something not as bad as they used to?To go a little bit of topic, I started to like how Microsoft started to work, as they seemed to start loosing the market, as most Linux distros were better than XP and maybe Vista, but what I am seeing now, that most of people started using Windows 7 and seems they are happy :DI just hate that in the past several years there were IE7, IE8, IE9, a lot of new versions :D They seem to release IE8 and after a few days they announce that IE9 is in development? Even though in these several years Firefox 1 has gone up to version 4, but didn't feel a lot of difference to change it's version except some additions and maybe an updated Gecko engine?Even though I am used to Opera, I will continue to use Opera and Chrome, but it's good for new people, it's good that new people will start using IE9 which will show the web for them like it needs to be showed and not like it was with IE6. :'D

Correction - It's not a lot like Chrome, its the best features of Firefox and Chrome and Opera that are put together. Consider the BIG BACK BUTTON from firefox, small space taken by Chrome and start up page with website panels from Opera.

The new browser is also very, very fast to start up in Windows 7 (i think it preloads it or something) and you can combine it with Windows 7, and use jumplists, pin websites to taskbar,etc. that you can't do with any other browser. So, Microsoft has the advantage on the OS -- the biggest advantage it has.

The loading time in IE9 is faster than or fast as Firefox but not faster than Chrome. Some websites take a second to load and some take like 10-20 seconds. It's pretty unstable right now, but Microsoft has promised to fix that in the Final version. IE9 Beta also hangs ALOT and sometimes it just gets stuck for no reason and than you have to "end process" on it. Thats why I'm not using it full time -- yet.

I did the ACID3 test (yea, I did them from http://acid3.acidtests.org/ cause I don't trust reviews :D ) and turns out that Chrome got a score of 100, Opera - 100, Firefox 3 (didn't test 4 beta) - 93 and IE9 Beta- 95. BUT Microsoft also said that they will bring IE9 to 100 soon. IE9 loads HTML5 beautifully, way better than Chrome or anything else... the second best part.

All we can do for now is just wait and see the Final versions of Firefox 4 and IE9... Chrome and Opera updated a little more than a week ago. So, I think this is going to be slow. And who knows? IE9 might pick itself outta the ashs. :)

BTW - I'm not gonna even vote in that *BLEEP* poll... and if anybody is gonna rule the world, its probably Google. :P

I would have to agree Microsoft took the best of the browsers and put it together in terms of speed, rendering and of course window space.

I am bit surprise you didn't check out my topic about the acid tests, and of course HTML 5 test results as well because you be surprise how far behind IE9 is in rendering HTML 5. Which means Microsoft still has a lot of work to go in order to get that 100 in the Acid 3 test, and scary enough I think they need a year or two to get most of what HTML 5 has to offer in current generation browsers.

As for picking itself out of the ashes is not going to happen, the damage has been done in those 5 years and of course with Microsoft reputation, I doubt they will see too many points in the one year after IE9 is released. However, I will say that a lot of the problems when it comes to web design will finally disappear since IE9 is on par to be web standard browser instead of them doing their own thing.

Hello there,

I am been testing IE 9 just under a week now and find it a little unreliable. The speed seems to be fine though still not as fast as good chrome. I like the new features such as the Disable Addons faster speeds and it explains any addons you may run inside of IE will slow down and page showing quicker and tells you the amount of time it adds on before it loads. I also like the new tab starting page that seems to stand out from other browsers. I like the new toolbar up top seems to be more modern and looks great in Windows 7 and Vista then again you are not able to try this if you are on Windows XP. Some of my popular websites I visit and even my own blogs do not display correctly which is rather annoying as they do in all other browsers.

That's me finished :).

Well, you could say it is a marketing ploy of Microsoft to get people to update to Windows 7 and sadly everyone should and as much as I enjoyed Windows XP and how easy it was to use, Windows 7 is just 100 times better and 1000 times better then Vista.  As for websites not showing up correctly, bad coding practices are to blame for that and if coded properly then they might show up correctly.

Seems that Windows 7 got a quite "good" OS which is stable and usable, also it seems that IE9 might be a good browser and it can be enough for simple people using a computer, somehow it seems that Microsoft is moving the right path with some software? It seems that even their antivirus software Microsoft Security Essentials is quite good? Sometimes when I think about it, they made something not as bad as they used to?

To go a little bit of topic, I started to like how Microsoft started to work, as they seemed to start loosing the market, as most Linux distros were better than XP and maybe Vista, but what I am seeing now, that most of people started using Windows 7 and seems they are happy :D

I just hate that in the past several years there were IE7, IE8, IE9, a lot of new versions :D They seem to release IE8 and after a few days they announce that IE9 is in development? Even though in these several years Firefox 1 has gone up to version 4, but didn't feel a lot of difference to change it's version except some additions and maybe an updated Gecko engine?

Even though I am used to Opera, I will continue to use Opera and Chrome, but it's good for new people, it's good that new people will start using IE9 which will show the web for them like it needs to be showed and not like it was with IE6. :'D

Well Windows 7 is to XP as Vista was to ME and since this browser was built for Windows 7 it should definitely hold its own. Granted I don't use it myself even though I give it much praise as a web designer, but as a computer user I want to see how secured it is before making such a commitment. However, I have never been a big fan of their add-ons, because quite frankly their selection sucks and that was another big reason why I switch to Firefox/Chrome.

When it comes to Security I wouldn't even trust Microsoft best security experts and that was another major factor in why IE lost much of its points. As for the number of versions if you were to go through all the updates Firefox releases in the last few years, they released more browsers than anyone else.

To get really anal about this, from FF3 to FF3.10, Mozilla release 40 new versions of FF3, granted they were all updates and patches, however, they were individual browsers because of the new version number that got attached to them.

It just not good for new people it is good for everyone, but hopefully they revampted the browser security and maybe it will better for everyone.

All I can say is meh. I'm not rushing to download another one of Microsoft's failures. it might be a bit better. but I will bet anything it still doesn't render code as well as firefox and safari.Also, why can't MS make something original instead of stealing stuff from other browsers??

IE9 BETA seems to have a problem with reloading. After trying out the acid3 tests, I have got baffling results. The first run was alright - 95/100. The second run was the same. After clicking the 'reload' button 6 times however, performance seemed to drop and the scores from the tests went lower. It even reached a miserable 13/100 on the 15th reload. Memory dump issues? I have no idea. Microsoft needs to catch up with Google, Apple, and Opera in terms of their browsers. And maybe even Firefox (with Firefox 4 coming our way). If it never adopts the webkit engine or the engine developed by Mozilla and Opera, wait for the 3rd release of the browser. That would be the safest way to ensure your usage of Microsoft's IE browser is fast and secure. Let us wait for IE11. If it ever comes our way.

Chrome with lot of extensions perform similar to FF. Only without any add-on or extensions it performs faster and well. Otherwise you do get those frequent crashes from chrome. Not that like IE never crashes and you can see IE crashing more than anyother browser. I found FF just unstable when using for longer hours while playing media and other heavy files in browser. Which is not the case with other browsers.

first start time in ff 3.6.12 is really a big difference. average time for the previus versions was 14sec and with this new one is just 3sec. but i have some problems with F.F which makes me to use chrome.first problem is the integration with internet download manager. every time i click on a download link there is a 5-10sec lag till the idm popup appears but in chrome there is no delay at all.second problem is the cpu usage some times when there is 15 or more tabs open the cpu usage suddenly becomes very high (my cpu is corei5 750 so not a weak one) but i haven't seen any cpu load problem with chrome yet.and in ie9 the idm problems doesn't exist but there is always lag in opening tabs , closing tabs , scrolling for the first time , ... and it crashes if you switch too fast between tabs :D .

and in ie9 the idm problems doesn't exist but there is always lag in opening tabs , closing tabs , scrolling for the first time , ... and it crashes if you switch too fast between tabs :D .

Well, but remember that IE9 is still in BETA :D and it can't be too good, but I remember IE7, it seemed to much faster and etc, but with time after those updates it got to regular speed of a browser, even though I remember my first impressions it was mch faster than IE6, it was years ago.. So I think will be with IE9, after a while it slows down, or I might be wrong..

A benefit and also a loss is that Internet Explorer is tight to the Operating System, not like other browsers which can do a little more than a regular application. I am talking about some of HTML5 capabilities.. ;]

Even after it coming out of beta this lag will remain for some obvious reasons. This browser will attatch itself to system files and the lag for tabs and some times for text fields while browsing, searching or filling the form will remain. So it's not the issue with beta but about internet explorer being a closed component of the operating system. Firefox, chrome, opera are instant for tabs, text field form filling and scrolling while page is loading but that is not the case with IE, take any version.

first start time in ff 3.6.12 is really a big difference. average time for the previus versions was 14sec and with this new one is just 3sec. but i have some problems with F.F which makes me to use chrome.
first problem is the integration with internet download manager. every time i click on a download link there is a 5-10sec lag till the idm popup appears but in chrome there is no delay at all.

second problem is the cpu usage some times when there is 15 or more tabs open the cpu usage suddenly becomes very high (my cpu is corei5 750 so not a weak one) but i haven't seen any cpu load problem with chrome yet.

and in ie9 the idm problems doesn't exist but there is always lag in opening tabs , closing tabs , scrolling for the first time , ... and it crashes if you switch too fast between tabs :D .

Some of the problems might be solved after removing the browser and download and install it again.
And 15 tabs open seems to be a lot. If the computer and the browser work fast with 10 tabs open it means the computer works pretty well.

And 15 tabs open seems to be a lot. If the computer and the browser work fast with 10 tabs open it means the computer works pretty well.

15 tabs is a lot? I usually have 30-50 tabs opened with Opera and have no speed issues and what starts to be strange now, that I know which square is which site I need to open.. I never used bookmarks though, sometimes I just save Opera sessions and name them, when I need to do some work with something, I open Opera sessions with tabs for that work, when I need to do something with something different I open a different saved sessions and have the default one, it's quite convenient and faster than using bookmarks or searching for the site with the required information again.

15 tabs is a lot? I usually have 30-50 tabs opened with Opera and have no speed issues and what starts to be strange now, that I know which square is which site I need to open.. I never used bookmarks though, sometimes I just save Opera sessions and name them, when I need to do some work with something, I open Opera sessions with tabs for that work, when I need to do something with something different I open a different saved sessions and have the default one, it's quite convenient and faster than using bookmarks or searching for the site with the required information again.

How do you save a session in Opera?