xisto Community
web_designer

Review My Portfolio And Share Me What Do You Think?

my portfolio is finally done :) , thanks god, i 've been working on it since last May. and it took me a lot of time to choose the design, i even changed it three times :D . but now i feel relived and i am satisfied on my work. so it is time to share you my work, and to tell me what do you think trappers. i trust your opinions and your criticism, so please feel free to tell me what do you think.till now i didn't buy a domain yet therefor, i uploaded under my site temporary. and i didn't prepare enough designs and samples to my portfolio, but i uploaded three designs and i think that is enough to give you a clear idea about how jquery works. and i made it to be comfortable with opera, firefox and chorme till now and i think that is enough as a beginning. hmmm i think that's all, i will be waiting for your replies, and thanks in advance.this is the link for my portfolio http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Hi,

You wanted a review and said you're open to criticism, so I'll be brutally honest and precise. The design is very beautiful and catchy. The only problem is that it doesn't fit in well with the text. The blotch to the right of the slideshow is a good idea but its colour makes it hard to read the text. The font used is professional and elegant, but again, it doesn't get in well with the design. Another example of this mismatch between design and text is at the bottom. This text

Wanna...check my blog..?!
it is cool and awesome...

is partly hidden by the box design so the word "awesome" is read as "ome unless you highlight the text :( Also, it isn't cool to proclaim that your blog is cool ;) Seriously!

It's evident that you did a lot of work for this blog and it shows in the design. Just make the text go in tandem with the design and you'll get a superb portfolio for yourself :) All the best!

Hmmm... the first thing that I notice (and what troubles me the most) is that the second part/footer part of the site is sooo good and the top part/header part doesn't even come close. The "girl" picture (is that you?) takes out the "creative" part. Try using the blue,green,yellow colors that you used on the logo to fill in the inside or use another vector. Next thing, the menu colors are out-of-order... one is yellow, one is blue, and the rest are white? Wait, that doesn't add up :wacko:

The body: the introduction (great job adding that btw) is off color. And there is a "w" in "My Namw is" instead of "e". Use a color that goes with the brown AND the black swipes. The slider (i think you made it yourself) is OK but it could be better try using the WP Easing Plugin and insert it into your template. Looks better, and feels easier.

Everything from that point on looks AWESOME, especially the "What can I do" and the "footer butterflies". One thing that you can fix, like Simpleton said is the "Wanna... check my blog..?! it is cool and awesome..." text. Try using this code :

<div>      <p> [color="blue"]Wanna[/color] </p>           <p>check out my blog?</p>      <p>It's [color="pink"] cool [/color] and [color="pink"] awesome! [/color] </p> </div>

I don't know if thats correct code or not, but you can see what I wanted to say. Anyways, I read your About Me and its funny :D If you could fix all these problems, your site will be perfect! And good luck on your site ;)

yea, i think you did an excellent job. i think the first two things i would change first is the text you put in the square box and also make it fit better. the other thing i would change is the font color where you introduce yourself. it's hard to read, wd.after you can fix those two things, i can maybe give more input. those two things stand out the MOST as things that need to be revised. oh. i am editing this post. i also noticed that that your graphic below "what can i do, isn't blending so well on the page. i can tell it a square graphic. the reason for this is that part of the graphics are cut off. this is hardly noticable, but i did notice it so i would change that for sure too to make it blend better with the backgroundbut hey, good job! i really like what you have done!

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

thanks guys for your feedback i am really appreciated :blush: . i knew i could depend on you because you will look at my work with the eye of an expert, and give me an honest opinion. so i will try to fix all these things you mentioned as soon as possible and ask you for another review. GOD, i thought i am done and now i have a lot of work to do more :P . thanks again and i will keep everything you said in mind.@deadmad, i am glade you liked the footer, i like it too. and they are fairies not butterflies :D . and thanks for taking time to read the about me i wrote. also this site is kinda static it is all in html and css only the contact me page in php, i didn't use any cms. it is all designed and coded by me. and i didn't make the jquery, i am not that pro in jquery :D it is a good script i added and edited it to be suitable to my site.@anwiii, i noticed that the graphic below "what can i do" isn't blending well after uploading it, but i thought it is not that noticeable :D i will fix it.

Edited by web_designer (see edit history)

ok guys, i fixed it as much as i can. i tried many colors for the introduction thing in the right side and still the light blue is the best so i only added shadow and stroke to it, i hope it shows better now. and i tried many fonts but this one still the best fits with overall layout. so :D couldn't do much.and i changed the font color in the card to black and i think it looks better now. also i fixed the splatter to be blended good with the background.and deadmad, there are three colors for the words in the menu bar, one is the color of the link "white", one is the color for the hover "yellow", and one is the color for the visited link "light blue". and only the word "blog" is still in yellow to give it a unique thing. also, the girl in the header is me :) , and i should be a shadow, not a colored girl :P. i don't know but this is my idea, and any way i tried it before and i looked awful :D .thanks again guys for your help, and i will be waiting for more feedbacks.

Here is review from mahesh. :P1. Gray color is not going well with the footer graphics. In fact i like the footer the most out of whole site. 2. Linking is bit WIP(work in progress )i guess because i found -links were broken (for example powered by wordpress link and check my blog link).3. Background sparkles are awesome. +infinity awesomeness for that. 4. JS scrolling slideshow was bit odd with next prev buttons away from it. I suggest using NIMO slider instead. That slider is my favorite ;)5. Image of girl at the top wasted some of my time because i was waiting for face to load up :P 6. By the way is that Portuguese language in slideshow ?Ok. This was my short review/suggestion/feedback. =D

Here is review from mahesh. :P
1. Gray color is not going well with the footer graphics. In fact i like the footer the most out of whole site.

2. Linking is bit WIP(work in progress )i guess because i found -links were broken (for example powered by wordpress link and check my blog link).

3. Background sparkles are awesome. +infinity awesomeness for that.

4. JS scrolling slideshow was bit odd with next prev buttons away from it. I suggest using NIMO slider instead. That slider is my favorite ;)

5. Image of girl at the top wasted some of my time because i was waiting for face to load up :P

6. By the way is that Portuguese language in slideshow ?

Ok. This was my short review/suggestion/feedback. =D

mahesh, thanks for your reply i am appreciated and it really made me smile :).
now, with gray color you mean the color of background??
and glade you liked the footer it took me 3 weeks to make it :P . i changed it 4 times before reaching the best idea. and by they way, they are fairies not butterflies ;) .

and yes only the links in menu is working the rest is not. i will set them when i buy a domain.

great you liked the sparkle it is my favorite behind the footer. it took me a lot of time to find the perfect brushes set for that.

thanks for suggesting that slider for me, but i couldn't find a demo to show me how it works, if you can give me a link for one of your sites to see how it works i will be appreciated. i found a lot of good slidshow in the internet, and most of them were good, but i chose this slideshow for a reason, i don't have a lot of work samples so i should choose a one show images one by one and has a unique thing.

and your comment about the girl face was so funny, it is a shadow, silhouette in fact but what can say? men will be men ;) .

oh yes i should change that soon, i mean the language in the slider but what is it? i don't know.

Yes i was talking about the gray background. It is not going well with the site. You can try watching portfolio of others to get some inspiration about color or Try darker black or other colors with that sparkle.

Check this whole site for some layout inspiration : https://dev7studios.com/

By the way devlounge.net site has weekly friday inspiration from where you can see more designer portfolios.

Nivo Slider link here. Oh sorry i missed that while giving in last reply. If you want more sliders or scrollers then check here.