xisto Community
FiReStOrM

Do U Think The Computer Can Still Be Improved?

i'm not sure if this thread is about "computers" in general, like hard drives, video cards, or other componenets. I think it's really more about the CPU rather than the other componenets. Anyway, it would be nice if there was a computer engineer who has experience in semiconductors to actually answer this question.From what I understand (I am not a computer engineer). Semi conductor technology has reached, or is very close to, its limits. Heat is now a severe problem and the SIZE of the CPU components are pretty much as small as they are gonna get.In order to make major jumps in CPU speed from now on, revolutionary type technology or manufacturing processes are probably the only way to go. One of the technologies they are researching is bio computers. Nature was the greatest inventor and it seems in order to reach the next level we have to go back to our roots. I read in one article, some scientists attached the nerons of a leech to a semi-conductor based chip to perform calculations. Maybe the final step in computing is to actually use the human brain? After all, there are many more brain cells in a human brain then a computer chip will ever have. By linking a controller chip in the brain (like in the leech example), we can use our brains as the processor for a computer. Then we wouldn't need monitors, keyboards, or mice anymore.

Yeah... it can't stop improving... because i'm going to start my highscholl next year and I can't think on something else in spite of computer... I don't believe there will be a computer end but if there is, I guess, it will be like radio..... it became with tape and now it's cd and dvd... the name can change but the function is the same...

Of course. ;) There will always be ways of getting things to a faster, and higher level. Processor's will get even smaller, and you'll be able to do imaging in a couple clicks exactly how you want to. There are so many possibilites... many of the technologies we actually have right now... but are to expensive to release.

Thats a question some people ask and then later find out that it has happened. The computers will never stop getting better, we always want more power and better technology. We are never satisfied with what we have now we must always get things faster and better. Everytime i go out and buy a top of the line computer within a month or even a couple months there is already a faster computer out. I have never had the top of the line computer for more than 6 months at one time. I always upgrade my stuff once in a while but they seem to keep finding more and more stuff to add on. I mean when the first computer came out only a few could afford the computer or wanted one. Today, i guarantee most of the people have at least one computer in their home, not to mention everyone thats on Xisto right now.So to answer your question yes i think it can improved give it some time and maybe it will take a big step of advancement and we can look forward to having a new design or style that everyone will have.

I think tons of things can be improved. Once thing is the speed, that can always be improved. Also the size of the computer. Now in days things are getting alot smaller and compact. That could always be improved too.

i think computers can still be improved because technology is changing all the time and updating.maybe there will be computers built into the size of a gameboy sp in the future hopes so because then i would be able to take my pc anywere and use it anywere ;)

Sooner or later a big change is coming in the computer development. If u look at the computer history there have been changes every once in a while. I thing it is gonna go to the bio-computers or nano-computers...

MOst definately..I mean computers are being updated every day....Of course it is going to get better and better....=D

Thats why we hear a bunch of tech news. If you look at how the games are progressing though...they are progressing more than computers.

I don't just think computers can be improved, I know it. Last year I did a project on nanotechnology and one of the things I came across was quantum computers. Quantum computers are computers that are literally less than 300 atoms large. Certain encryption algorithms would take today's best supercomputers 20 billion years, but could be cracked with a quantum computer in 30 minutes. So you don't have to do the calculations, that's 350 trillion, 400 billion times faster (350 400 000 000 000 times).

With that much power, graphics could look better than what you see if you look outside, and we could probably make stuff that reads your thoughts to type or control characters--or even be the characters.

I think it is not even a question if they can still be improved. We have a long way to go before they can't anymore, just cause its the most amazing thing you've seen yet doesn't mean it can't get any better then it is now. People said the same thing about 50 MHz CPUs and many other things, including almost every home appliance in the 1950s. Graphics can get better, there is much room for improvement. One can't fully understand until one has experience in that field. Graphics one might say are at the best they can get, but if you play around with models in FPS games or any other PC game, you will notice that there can be much more work done. Maps too, there can be more detail and less bugs then ever before.

Yes I think it will advance because there are new ideas every day and people learn more. They could stop making monitors but start making hologram - monitors (the 'foot' of your monitor would still be there but instead of the screen there would be a hologram) or how about a touch screen monitor (then you'd also be able to use it like normal but u can also touch it) and how about reading books on the computer, after you bought 'em. I can go on like this forever I guess. Look at the game consoles - there's a new one like every 2 years. People like to invent stuff and I don't think that will ever end. :)