xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Little Asterisk

Your Cms Of Choice?

p.sthanks for this useful topic little asterisk, you always come up with good ones ;)

You're welcome web_designer. Of course I always come up with good topics, because I'm smart! :D

Naah, I'm not. :D I just write things which interest me and then see if other people feel that way, too.

Anyhow, as I said - Wordpress is the best CMS for me, too (so far), but I posted this topic mainly to see if there are any other interesting unexplored CMSs people use. It would be interesting to see if some "Wordpress-killer" exists out there, definitely.

I just write things which interest me and then see if other people feel that way, too.
Anyhow, as I said - Wordpress is the best CMS for me, too (so far), but I posted this topic mainly to see if there are any other interesting unexplored CMSs people use. It would be interesting to see if some "Wordpress-killer" exists out there, definitely.

and you are right, wordpress is the most powerful and common use CMS till now. mostly because it is free, updated regularly from time to time and not complicated. i remember when i decided to use a CMS for my blog, i thought dealing with CMS is a piece of cake. but later when i read a bout it, i found out that to get a unique look, we should have our own theme. and that wasn't fun in the beginning :P but i liked the idea and couldn't hold myself from learning more and more. it is really an interesting CMS, and has a lot of capabilities to enhance our work. therefor i love to use it, and i recommended anyone to use it too.

Habari CMS is not in the list i guess. Some wordpress users wanted to purge the complexity of the CMS and came up with this CMS. I don't know how much useful it is but i just checked up with some of the old bloggers. This CMS has everything that wordpress has and plus few more things. But they are keeping eye on less complexities. So i guess many functionality needs to be plugged rather than in features of CMS officially. If you're using XAMPP or uniform server then do check this project out and let me know how it works.There are many other wordpress forks. I'll post as i find them out.

It's pre-hosted CMS day today! And what I mean by that is, I'm going to post a couple of CMSs which are already hosted for you and you don't have to install them on your Server. Appropriate for easy stuff.

1. Blogger is a service bought by Google a couple of years ago which gives you easy and quick blog setup, very basic templates and a complicated documentation (!), but there are a few OK templates available out there. Most people regard it just as a... Well, a simple, simple blogging platform for personal purposes. Free for any use.

2. (Get) Harmony App, which is used by Elliot Jay Stocks and that's how I found out about it =). There's an article about it on hist Blog but, more importantly, I think it's out of its beta phase currently and you can freely use it. Multiple pricing options, but it's not free.

3. Wordpress.com, unlike Wordpress.org is pre-hosted and you can quickly set it up. Depending on your preferences, you can consider it either better or worse than Blogspot. Why worse? For any additional modifying of your blog, you have to pay a price. Even for assigning a custom domain name! Also, because it's built around PHP you can't edit anything but the CSS - and you also have to pay for that! Casual blogging, although some bigger companies use it (I believe even Ted.com is on Wordpress.com).

4. Deploy CMS - Honestly, I'm not sure if this one is pre-hosted because there's very little info on their page, but I believe it will be. Be sure to check it out once Deploy CMS goes out of Public Beta (P.S. If you're interested, you can also apply for the beta and test it out. They'll supposedly be giving free stuff to their beta testers!)

I'm a big fan of memHT, personally. (https://www.memht.com/) It may come pre-installed with a bunch of modules that you won't want, but at least that way you have a nice wide selection of modules to start with, and don't have to go through a load of addons. Another thing I really like about it is that it has a built in forum that actually looks and feels somewhat like a typical phpBB or Invision board, as opposed to some CMSes that have very minimalistic forums, or even none at all. It's very easy to customize, and very fun to use. It's a little bit bloated in terms of features, which I know some of you might not like, but it's great if you don't have a lot of PHP and MySQL knowledge.

Interesting, nice to see this topic is slowly filling up ;)@Spudd Yeah, MemHT seems a bit overloaded but I'd be very grateful if they redesigned (or realigned) their website sometime soon. Quite frankly, there's too much information on their homepage and I don't want to browse through all that to find out its features.------------Anyhow, mentioning another CMS:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
I found it via Dan Benjamin's 5by5 Dev Show (5by5.tv) and am now studying this stuff. Anyone tried to use it yet? It's another file-management system like Stacey (staceyapp.com).

DeplyCMS is going to be very expensive such that average users and business people will not afford this. I think only celebs and other high=pocket people will afford this. I mean 20$ per month for single site ? that is huge atleast in my view. I doubt if they offer anything better than the competitors. Wordpress and some of the other leading competitors have lower revenue model so you can guess how much their pricing model is going to help.Anyway, i think there was no mention of Textpattern CMS. It is used by bloggers and newsletter makers most of the time. It is not cool as wordpress but if you don't want wordpress and require simplicity then textpattern is the CMS for you.

I would definitely have to go with Wordpress. It's by far the best CMS I've ever used in the past for blogs, arcade sites; it practically goes for almost any kind of website except Forums and a few other types.For a flash games website I also tried AV arcade (the pro / premium version) and it was OK but not as safe as wordpress. I've seen many people complaining about the safety when using diferent cms for games saying that if not kept updated hackers ruin them easily , don't know how true is that but.. let's face it , on the internet anything is possible. By Using the right plug-ins wordpress becomes suitable for any website type , the sky's the limit. Also beeing such a popular cms , updates come frequently and that's why it's most of the times SAFEr then other CMS's.Another CMS I've been thinking of using is Joomla , people say it's easy to set up and modify , safe and very common (which I'm not sure it's a good or bad thing).I've also used vBulletin for a while , for a forum I had in the past and it was also very good but pricey .. a few hundreds if I remember corectly. If you think about it , if it's used for an entire community and everyone makes a small donation , the required amount is not that hard to gain.Before starting a website make a lot of planning , think about what you want to do with it and choose a suitable CMS.GOod Luck.

Mephisto is another CMS which anyone can use if they have ruby on rails experience. Personally i have no idea of how ruby on rails can be deployed so i got chance with hosted app. This app used mephisto in the backend which i used. It was excellent app with the use of the mephisto CMS. And as far as the extended plugins and themes are concerned i have no clue how to customize those.But with that app it looked like simple as it allowed to change CSS and with their framework it was easy. So those who are into ruby on rails should take a look at it.

@mahesh2k

Thanks for the CMS! (P.S. Where does your nickname come from? :D)

=========

And now, for another CMS from me:

http://www.posterous.com// - I don't know how I could've forgotten about this one... Really simple image/text/video posting, you send it there and it does all your work. Just simple blogging stuff, for instance Dustin Curtis uses it ( http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ ) and also Jeffrey Zeldman ( every now and then, on http://zeldman.posterous.com/60-free-wordpress-themes ).

And... Tumblr:

https://www.tumblr.com/ - Also a micro-blogging service, they set it all up and all you need to do is blog. I think Tumblr is a lot better, and you can learn more about it by buying a book or reading this "Why Tumblr is kicking Posterous *bottom*" article on Business Insider

That's it from me for now! :D

Thanks for bringing that to my attention...mediacore looks pretty solidI have been learning Drupal of late and its features, flexibility and clarity is absolutely awesome! I have a long history with Joomla but since I started using Drupal i have been much more happier. the platform is truly amazing.The reason why many people don't consider switching over to Drupal is because of its learning curve. With other CMSs you can pretty much have a live site right out of the box whereas with Drupal, you have to learn how it operates to full make it do what you want. As compared with other softwares as well, Drupal doesn't have as many themes for people to choose from. This is both an advantage and disadvantage. What I have discovered is that once you know Drupal and can tweak it to your needs...you are likely to design your own custom theme than look for a predesigned one. To me its a real plus as it allows you to have a real signature on your sites than have a theme that limits what you do to some extent..theming in drupal is real fun even for a coder like myself, i find it way easier as its more code than graphics :)Thats my take on Drupal. I love it and right now...I can't think of using anything else.!!

The reason why many people don't consider switching over to Drupal is because of its learning curve.

Yes. This is the reason i don't touch Drupal for production site. Otherwise Drupal has everything that other popular CMS can offer. Joomla is fine as well but i prefer not to move to it because of learning curve. Honestly i didn't find the fun part in coding themes for these two. It's pain.

Okay, so I'm looking for help from my fellow members right now. Me being the real geek I am, I also want to use a geeky CMS for myself. While Stacey would probably do, I am wandering whether there is something even more geekier? The only real feature I need is the following two features:1. that it displays recent posts on the homepage without me manually editing it, 2. that it is a flat-file content management system ( no databases ), and...3. that it supports "clean" URLs.I will easily take care of the other stuff. Now, for a more detailed explanation...While Wordpress is easily the best CMS out there, a bit of thinking got me to this point: when I start this next project, all I will need is that the header and footer stay the same throughout all pages - and that the latest post displays on the homepage. Everything else, I will handle. So why use the magnificent Wordpress for such a small and easy task?! The answer is simple: not to use Wordpress at all...I will: insert the META description and keywords,I will: insert the title,I will: write all extra code necessary.So that is what I want from my next CMS. As I said -- Stacey would do, but does something even smaller and quicker exist out there? :D

Have you checked indexhibit ? that app looks similar to stacyapp and does most of the things that you mentioned. I don't know how taking more pains with things makes one geeky but try indexhibit if you want to complicate things like stacyapp. Yes it is free and does most of the things similar to stacyapp. I don't know how it is going to replace wordpress, joomla or drupal but take a look at it anyway.

Have you checked indexhibit ? that app looks similar to stacyapp and does most of the things that you mentioned. I don't know how taking more pains with things makes one geeky but try indexhibit if you want to complicate things like stacyapp. Yes it is free and does most of the things similar to stacyapp. I don't know how it is going to replace wordpress, joomla or drupal but take a look at it anyway.

I've already seen this Indexhibit app, but thanks anyway since I've forgotten about it since. :)

To answer your second question in short, making things "hard" doesn't make them more geeky. But stripping them down to the bare essentials might. And they definitely will not replace Wordpress or Drupal or Joomla or anything similar to them, no. All of these CMSs you've listed are excellent systems, probably with no or very little flaws.

They're the sort of stuff you'd use in your "normal" website installation, give to your clients or use by yourself. However, since I want to have a really simple blog/CMS I don't require any additional functionality. I just want to show XY posts on my homepage, and I'll have no problem hard-coding paragraphs, headings and what have you in HTML markup.

So I don't see why should using Wordpress (~7MB, requires a database) be better than, say, Stacey (~2MB, no database required) when they are both easily understandable, have "custom keys" (which I need) and do the "same job."

Once again; you could argue Wordpress has an easier/prettier interface, better text editor (which I don't use anyway since I write "locally") or a bigger (huge) community - which are all true - but I don't need any of these.

So, to repeat myself once again: I'm not trying to use a clunkier or uglier or harder CMS just so I can brag how I'm using a "geeky" content management system, but because that's all I need.

I hope you understand my thinking here. If not, shout and you shall be heard. :)