xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Little Asterisk

Your Cms Of Choice?

I've already seen this Indexhibit app, but thanks anyway since I've forgotten about it since. :)

To answer your second question in short, making things "hard" doesn't make them more geeky. But stripping them down to the bare essentials might. And they definitely will not replace Wordpress or Drupal or Joomla or anything similar to them, no. All of these CMSs you've listed are excellent systems, probably with no or very little flaws.

They're the sort of stuff you'd use in your "normal" website installation, give to your clients or use by yourself. However, since I want to have a really simple blog/CMS I don't require any additional functionality. I just want to show XY posts on my homepage, and I'll have no problem hard-coding paragraphs, headings and what have you in HTML markup.

So I don't see why should using Wordpress (~7MB, requires a database) be better than, say, Stacey (~2MB, no database required) when they are both easily understandable, have "custom keys" (which I need) and do the "same job."

Once again; you could argue Wordpress has an easier/prettier interface, better text editor (which I don't use anyway since I write "locally") or a bigger (huge) community - which are all true - but I don't need any of these.

So, to repeat myself once again: I'm not trying to use a clunkier or uglier or harder CMS just so I can brag how I'm using a "geeky" content management system, but because that's all I need.

I hope you understand my thinking here. If not, shout and you shall be heard. :)

i understand your needs to a degree.

but if you're so geeky, then i take it you can either build your own that fits your description or strip down wordpress or drupal to the bare minimum.

I've already seen this Indexhibit app, but thanks anyway since I've forgotten about it since. :)

To answer your second question in short, making things "hard" doesn't make them more geeky. But stripping them down to the bare essentials might. And they definitely will not replace Wordpress or Drupal or Joomla or anything similar to them, no. All of these CMSs you've listed are excellent systems, probably with no or very little flaws.

They're the sort of stuff you'd use in your "normal" website installation, give to your clients or use by yourself. However, since I want to have a really simple blog/CMS I don't require any additional functionality. I just want to show XY posts on my homepage, and I'll have no problem hard-coding paragraphs, headings and what have you in HTML markup.

So I don't see why should using Wordpress (~7MB, requires a database) be better than, say, Stacey (~2MB, no database required) when they are both easily understandable, have "custom keys" (which I need) and do the "same job."

Once again; you could argue Wordpress has an easier/prettier interface, better text editor (which I don't use anyway since I write "locally") or a bigger (huge) community - which are all true - but I don't need any of these.

So, to repeat myself once again: I'm not trying to use a clunkier or uglier or harder CMS just so I can brag how I'm using a "geeky" content management system, but because that's all I need.

I hope you understand my thinking here. If not, shout and you shall be heard. :)

but if you're so geeky, then i take it you can either build your own that fits your description or strip down wordpress or drupal to the bare minimum.

And here we come to the problem. While I could probably try to build a CMS just for me (and I will do that in case I don't find a matching fit), there's just:

1. Too much work.

2. Too much nerve-wrecking around the most idiotic things.

3. Too much chance for a mistake.

I also tend to put more trust into people who "do" CMSs for a living than into myself, because I enjoy front-end programming more than the back-end.

As for tweaking Wordpress/Drupal, that would just take too much work, because (let's go with a list again :)):

1. I would need to learn the file structure

2. I would need to pick functions that are important for the most basic functionality

3. I would need to do a lot of testing.

And also,

4. I would most probably screw up something, which would again make me go into the nerve-wrecking cycle. And I don't want that. ;)

♠ ♥ ♠ ♥ ♠ ♥ ♠ ♥ ♠ ♥

Once again, I enjoy front-end programming over back-end. :)

And here we come to the problem. While I could probably try to build a CMS just for me (and I will do that in case I don't find a matching fit), there's just:

1. Too much work.

2. Too much nerve-wrecking around the most idiotic things.

3. Too much chance for a mistake.

I also tend to put more trust into people who "do" CMSs for a living than into myself, because I enjoy front-end programming more than the back-end.

As for tweaking Wordpress/Drupal, that would just take too much work, because (let's go with a list again :)):

1. I would need to learn the file structure

2. I would need to pick functions that are important for the most basic functionality

3. I would need to do a lot of testing.

And also,

4. I would most probably screw up something, which would again make me go into the nerve-wrecking cycle. And I don't want that. ;)

♠ ♥ ♠ ♥ ♠ ♥ ♠ ♥ ♠ ♥

Once again, I enjoy front-end programming over back-end. :)

wow, what a geek!

Most geeks i know (me excluded) crave for chances to get their hands dirty with code and figure out the most complex of things...but i'm a new breed of geek too, i like front-end wysiwyg editing type of thing.

I guess thats why I use indexhibit...its pretty solid. I recommend it mate.

wow, what a geek!

Most geeks i know (me excluded) crave for chances to get their hands dirty with code and figure out the most complex of things...but i'm a new breed of geek too, i like front-end wysiwyg editing type of thing.

Hey, hey, hey! :D

Not to mistake WYSIWYG "coding" with front-end! I do all my coding "by-hand," which will say I "lay my own divs down." :) (In other words, I code in Notepad++ or the "hardcore" Vim, and sometimes employ Dreamweaver -- but never, never ever for WYSIWYG :D).

And perhaps I have overreacted a bit with the "errors" but I'm currently working on multiple things so there's a lot of debugging left for me to do and I don't really need to think about building a CMS at this moment. ;)

I guess thats why I use indexhibit...its pretty solid. I recommend it mate.

Okay, I'll be sure to give it a try then.