xisto Community
jdevkap

I Hate Macs

How many of you out there hate Mac OS X? I can't beleive how big the learning curve is going between pc and mac. Why does apple get pc users to switch than put them through SO MUCH aggravation. plus with most macs you can't update a lot of the hardware to get new features such as eSATA, HDM, or usb 3.0, forcing users to keep buying new macs. Doesen't that seem unfair. Old pcs can last for something like 15 years. I have plenty of win 95 machines still working in my basement that I could outfit with new hardware but with a mac I have to spend 1K to buy a new one. Come on!

Apple Computers are HARDWARE computers and Microsoft is based more on SOFTWARE. I hope that answers your question... and if you want to know, I have been using my XP computer (now turned Windows 7) since 2003 and i have using it day and night for 7 years. I had a PC outage once in 2007 but no problems after I bought a new Voltage converter box for $20 bucks. I bought my HP Pavilion for a little for $1000 dollars and i spent about $100 dollars since the years for additional drives, better dvd burner, more RAM,etc. when the pc burden have been more demanding. Oh yea, my Sharp monitor which i bought the same day as my PC is working fine now too. That is my personal computer though, my Home computer is packed out hardware machine which i got last year :D

I haven't used a Mac till now but whenever I see the config of those computers I always wonder how people manage to keep those things up-to-date. But consider this - there are only a small chunk of loyal Mac fans and they spend a lot of money to buy these machines. So at least some of them might be people with lots of $$$ and so upgrading by spending a lot more money doesn't make much difference to them and Apple still gets its profits. The common folk who can't afford to upgrade too often just have to wait until they're ready to spend more to get more :(

Mac is a good operating system for Novice users....AndMac can also be really powerful designers system....Had installed mac on my dv2000 and it seems more stable than windows in networking, Cd burning and few other features thats it....Windows is better than mac in lots of ways but sometimes its the other way round too.....

I hate macs, too. For one stupid reason - I can't afford them.It's like looking at a hot girl and knowing that you can't talk to her. Oh well. I'm fine with my MSI, she does wonders...

I find the whole thing a bit childish - sorry but there it is.Why would you bother to invest a powerful emotion like hate in a consumer product? Are you forced to use one?As it happens, Macs were revolutionary - they had a windows GUI when I was still struggling with a 512K IMB PC mark 1 with a 5.25 floppy and crappy PC-DOS on the command line.Macs are more expensive because they have a different business model. IBM quickly decided that they didn't want to make the hardware so they franchised it out and now anyone can make PC stuff. Apple didn't. Both approaches have merits. The merit for apple is that by keeping control you make sure (or try to) than no incompatible stuff gets made that will crash your machine. The disadvantage is that it will inevitably be more expensive because there is no market driving the cost down.Many professionals use Macs - anyone in professional graphics/art, most recording studios, most writers etc. It is a bit of a generalisation but Macs tend to be used by creative types who are not interested in how a computer works - they are a tool.I am a PC person but that is mostly because I am in IT and know quite a bit about it. Therefore I can make my PC stable and useful. Many people cannot.

Edited by Bikerman (see edit history)

yea, i had to ditch apple when the mac came out. there was no way i was going to spend 3.5k on something i didn't need. plus there was a lot more software for the ibm compatibles back then. so instead, i invested $1500. but yea, when i was working in post production, all we used were macs. very powerfull but not suited for everyone unless your primary business is sound/video/graphics. i too don't understand why someone is venting with hate after buying their mac. they should have already realized how expensive they were and why. and where in the world are you buying a new mac computer for $1000 these days unless you are talking about a mini mac.?!? from my understanding, they are still about double that price.

There is learning curve to almost every OS. You should blame yourself for that. When you get good choice with one OS, why switch and then blame another ? I know we all do that but seriously there is no apple's fault in this. In fact they made operating system easy in comparison to BSD/Linux distros out there. Comparing OSX and ubuntu you'll find that even ubuntu is using the window manager theme like OSX. In fact gnome is ripped version of OSX desktop. There is pro and cons to every operating system. You're using it so you have to suffer with it. Or you have always option to switch back.

Macs are just too specific. They built a system where you are suckered in. Everything you buy has to be built or made for specifically for the Mac, hence the higher price. And people who use macs are just as brainwashed as the mac employees themselves. It's like the iPhone. Touch screen has been around for a while, but since Mac got it's hand int o the mix, everyone thinks they invented it. They did not. Just as microsoft didn't invent windows, xerox did. They all steal from one another and claim it innovations.Well i don't fall for it. Everything I have is generic, for a reason. Something goes bad, i can go get another piece and replace it. I can upgrade cheaper, I can rebuild cheaper, i can do everything cheaper on a PC.

There is learning curve to almost every OS. You should blame yourself for that. When you get good choice with one OS, why switch and then blame another ? I know we all do that but seriously there is no apple's fault in this. In fact they made operating system easy in comparison to BSD/Linux distros out there. Comparing OSX and ubuntu you'll find that even ubuntu is using the window manager theme like OSX. In fact gnome is ripped version of OSX desktop.
There is pro and cons to every operating system. You're using it so you have to suffer with it. Or you have always option to switch back.

GNOME really needs to stop imitating other desktop managers. They did copy OSX in their latest release but it was good that they allowed the users to go back to the old system whenever they want. I hope from the next release onwards there is less copying and more innovation from them.

GNOME really needs to stop imitating other desktop managers. They did copy OSX in their latest release but it was good that they allowed the users to go back to the old system whenever they want. I hope from the next release onwards there is less copying and more innovation from them.

I like Ubuntu....easy to set up easy to use, great interface... just love it :)

I like Ubuntu....easy to set up easy to use, great interface... just love it :)

I love it too - been using it since two years and it's been great! It's not Ubuntu that I'm talking about, but GNOME - the desktop manager package. Ubuntu modifies it of course, but I wish they had kept the Mac-like-buttons as an optional setting instead of making it the default setting.

Even KDE is copying windows operating system. KDE4 is pure imitation of many visual components of windows. There are many beta modules which were used in windows but now are abandoned was also imitated by KDE 4 team. I'm not sure if they are going as i'm keeping eye on gnome these days. I don't think so that they should stop imitating because if they want to keep their own image alive they have to do that.

I've read somewhere that Mac's are not so secure maybe less than Windows.But however I dual boot Linux Ubuntu with Windows XP (for my family:S), and I must say that I really like linux maybe I love it :P.It's secure, never crashes, appearance very appealing, faast and so much more. Maybe it takes some week to get used to it but after that you will be never switch to Windows again, maybe for just test purposes.

I've read somewhere that Mac's are not so secure maybe less than Windows.

Yup, where ever you heard that, its true :) But only because no one wants to spend looong hours developing a hacking program that can only attack THE SMALL PERCENT OF PEOPLE WHO USE MACs, instead they make a pc one.

But however I dual boot Linux Ubuntu with Windows XP (for my family:S), and I must say that I really like linux maybe I love it :P.It's secure, never crashes, appearance very appealing, faast and so much more. Maybe it takes some week to get used to it but after that you will be never switch to Windows again, maybe for just test purposes.

I'll never used a Linux before, but i used the Mint version or something... the one that can boot from the cd. Does that count as a Linux? Well, anyway I would pick Windows 7 over that anyday! It was so slow... and the only thing I liked about it was the desktop backgrounds.