xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Little Asterisk

Google Not So Wave Anymore

Although my clever and humoristic (not so much any of those, but I like to brag) title might have had you confused there for a moment; let me elaborate (although you probably know by now):Google wave is kaput, cancelled, destroyed, buried where the Sun don't shine. Bad news for some, expected for someone else, good news for antoher guy, and I feel totally indifferent. Like I would've ever used it. (Okay, maybe I would've sometimes; but I never really gave it a chance).Sure, this announcement could be a Google master plan to get Wave back on track and get the media to talk about it, but I really doubt that possibility. (Although I probably wouldn't have mentioned it if I thought it was impossible)The news is all around the Twittersphere, Blogosphere, and perhaps Facebooksphere (that is, if you have really, really geeky friends), so I'm not going to go all yadda-yadda-yadda about it: here's the link: https://googleblog.blogspot.de/2010/08/update-on-google-wave.html

I didn't really understand the point of Wave anyways. I used it once or twice but it just didn't really have any use to me.If there was anything to really set it apart from other things we have (based on my understanding it was like an IM system -- which we already have plenty of) then it wasn't advertised very well.

wow! if that is true, it is a shame. it could have revolutionized a lot of things and headed us further in to the online communication world. i was a HUGE supporter of google wave but it never got out of beta and it was hard to really add everyone you wanted to. personally i don't think wave is gone for good. i think maybe it will be structured better in the future and released again where more people have the opportunity to use it and take full advantage of what it has to offer. it was like an im/email/party line all wrapped up in to one package. believe me. this will return full force!

I didn't really understand the point of Wave anyways. I used it once or twice but it just didn't really have any use to me.
If there was anything to really set it apart from other things we have (based on my understanding it was like an IM system -- which we already have plenty of) then it wasn't advertised very well.

You're not the only one with this opinion. Many guys in web development these days also didn't think much of Wave and it didn't really get much support. I suppose that's one of the reasons it's shutting down.

But, like anwii said, I also pretty much support Google and I'm a bit sorry it turned out that way. Maybe they didn't give it enough attention...

After a few weeks of it being advertised and opened I really did not think by the bad reviews of it, it would become very popular. It is just really pointless when you have Instant Messaging and email why Google Wave?? What was they thinking...

They're really not taking things seriously with some products. Some of their products always remain in beta. Chrome was in beta for long time. Same is the case with wave. That way it's really hard for them to get more users because some people don't like using beta products for long time. Besides that many products of google accomplish limited goals, like google set. But then again it's upto google to decide whether to continue or dump their own products. We can't do anything, because they even dumped google notebook the best product they had.

They're really not taking things seriously with some products. Some of their products always remain in beta. Chrome was in beta for long time. Same is the case with wave. That way it's really hard for them to get more users because some people don't like using beta products for long time. Besides that many products of google accomplish limited goals, like google set. But then again it's upto google to decide whether to continue or dump their own products. We can't do anything, because they even dumped google notebook the best product they had.

I'm not sure I totally agree with this statement. They aren't taking thing seriously with their products?

If publishing a half-assed product out on the market prematurely because "it has to be that way" is "serious" to you, than OK - but I'd rather have it that way than them sending the product just for the sake of it, and than taking it back because it was bad.

I actually prefer it this way. And also, a lot of companies do this type of stuff (invite-only) to boost their product sales. Not that a company like the "big three" (Apple, Microsoft, Google) need to do this type of stuff, but still...

As for Google notebook, I've never used it and I can't say for sure. But - and I'm not sure since I only know from various images - if notebook was good, Wave didn't seem ready for the market at all. If they had worked on it, maybe it'd see the light of day (and I would be happy if that had happened), but this way - nope.

If you meant something else by this, I apologize - but please enlighten me. :)

I'm not sure I totally agree with this statement. They aren't taking thing seriously with their products?
If publishing a half-assed product out on the market prematurely because "it has to be that way" is "serious" to you, than OK - but I'd rather have it that way than them sending the product just for the sake of it, and than taking it back because it was bad.

I actually prefer it this way. And also, a lot of companies do this type of stuff (invite-only) to boost their product sales. Not that a company like the "big three" (Apple, Microsoft, Google) need to do this type of stuff, but still...

As for Google notebook, I've never used it and I can't say for sure. But - and I'm not sure since I only know from various images - if notebook was good, Wave didn't seem ready for the market at all. If they had worked on it, maybe it'd see the light of day (and I would be happy if that had happened), but this way - nope.

If you meant something else by this, I apologize - but please enlighten me. :)

Google notebook was good product and you can read the reviews when it was announced to drop. I'll leave you at that. Besides wave was ready for the market though. There was some companies already used wave API for their support and other communication system. The problem is google tries to show that their product are free but they build market on those product and if they can't compete with market for those product then they dump it.

Google notebook was better and competing with evernote, in fact much faster than evernote if not effective like it. Jaiku was better platform which was open source (it's twitter like engine), they dropped that as well. Wave was good product as well, and i'm saying that looking at the review of companies who integrated it in their products. Google dumped very good ideas which some people are not aware of. Thinking of market in wrong perspective makes it happen sometimes. Atleast wave/notebook were much profitable than google sets/timeline.

When wave just launch, I thought it will be something big and good. But after using it a couple of times, I have dropped it totally. I don't know what it is for and I don't find it useful at all. A flop from Google I must say.

Too many companies made too many social networking platforms at once, Wave was one of the ones that failed. Myself, I am not bothered that it has been discontinued as I never used it as it was basically a badly copied Twitter platform, but my friend thinks that it will be a loss on Google's behalf.

Even i think that it's googles loss. They tried to compete with social media products with that software. It was more than that actually. It was not just twitter or facebook status update clones. But it was private group chat plus communication media. It was possible to send youtube videos from wave which is not possible wave or buzz. Overall it was a good program i wish it was continued or released.