xisto Community
hansley

I Want To Create A Forum Site Can anyone help?

Also If you buy Inivion they give you converters to convert your database backup from phpBB SQL to IPB SQL. SO Yes you can easily change forums if you want to. :D  :D

56243[/snapback]

Wow, this is great. I could never imagine that database of phpBB could be converted to IPB. Now its a matter of money then. If one doesn't skill also but have money, everything works out these days.

LoL...so what you are saying that you are going to pay a person to build you up a forum using a preinstalled free script? Why don't you try first and ask if you find any problem? That works for me....and most of the forumers here...

Hey, thank you for helpful info here. I have a qestuion:For my WordPress site I started to use Simple Press forum plugin when I opened the site (it's for people I know). Then I realized it was really slow and inconvenient and decided to switch to phpbb forum for the site.I wasnt able to embed Phpbb forum into WP using wp-united because of the theme I'm using.But it seems to me that I got some connectivity using PHPBB Single Sign On WordPress plugin it enables users to login to Phpbb using WP and the other way around. So now new users that register on Phpbb forum are automatically added to WP Users.However, old users can't login into Phpbb forum using WP username & password.To add to that I use Visitor Maps and Who's Online plugin in WP and when old user tries to log in to Phpbb they show up in Who's Online on WP side but can't login to the forum.Do any of you know if that means that old users login to WordPress when they try to access phpbb forum?In other ways, would all new users be able to login into WP (if I say create something) using their Phpbb login info?Any help would be appreciated!

Hey, thank you for helpful info here. I have a qestuion:For my WordPress site I started to use Simple Press forum plugin when I opened the site (it's for people I know). Then I realized it was really slow and inconvenient and decided to switch to phpbb forum for the site.I wasnt able to embed Phpbb forum into WP using wp-united because of the theme I'm using.But it seems to me that I got some connectivity using PHPBB Single Sign On WordPress plugin it enables users to login to Phpbb using WP and the other way around. So now new users that register on Phpbb forum are automatically added to WP Users.However, old users can't login into Phpbb forum using WP username & password.To add to that I use Visitor Maps and Who's Online plugin in WP and when old user tries to log in to Phpbb they show up in Who's Online on WP side but can't login to the forum.Do any of you know if that means that old users login to WordPress when they try to access phpbb forum?In other ways, would all new users be able to login into WP (if I say create something) using their Phpbb login info?Any help would be appreciated!

I don't know enough about that plugin, sadly. Usually the SSO's will copy users to the new database when you try to log in with an existing account though (ex. if you are using WP as the master and phpBB as slave and then you log into WP, it'd copy your existing account to phpBB). Is that not what's happening here?

If you are using WordPress, then the most obvious choice would be the bbPress plugin for WordPress. bbPress is from Automattic, who are the folk that created WordPress. bbPress has pretty much the same structure as WordPress so if you want to create plugins and themes for bbPress, you would be able to take your WordPress development skills to get a head start in developing themes and plugins for bbPress. Also, with the custom post types feature in WordPress, it is rather simple to create your own forum based on WordPress. One of the reasons why people pick phpBB, Invision Power Board, or vBulletin is because they are build from the ground-up to work as forums, when compared to bbPress, and therefore they can be hit by a lot more clients before you start to feel that the load on the processor of the web server is overwhelming. You can use WordPress as a content management system to serve relatively static web pages or to host blogs while providing the forum interface for users to post threads of messages. WordPress does provide caching but, as you mentioned, your WordPress setup would be rather slow because caching generally works only for the users who access the website as anonymous users i.e. if the users are not logged in. If they are logged in, most WordPress caching plugins resort to providing the user with live data fetched from the database and processed using the content management system engine running a full cycle through the plugins for transformation of data and finally applying the theme which may make more calls to the database itself. The heaviest bit of processor-crunching functionality in WordPress lies in the conversion of text emoticons into smileys so that is something I always disable no matter where I set WordPress up - the amount of processing power used for just that little bit of functionality isn't something that I could justify and it was easier to insert my own smileys as images rather than having to use the ones provided by WordPress.I am not familiar with the plugins that you are using, but I would advise you to look at the database tables that are in use by both WordPress and phpBB to determine which tables are being used for authentication. Once you are able to determine which tables are in use, you can export the data, convert the columns and the format of the data, and import the data between your content management system (in your case, WordPress) and the forum software (in your case, phpBB). The plugin that you are using essentially performs the same operation but may be using a hook or an action handler whenever a user registers to use the system. Hopefully, you would be able to hire somebody to get everything working the way that it should - a database administrator would be able to copy across the old login details, or a software developer would be able to create a script for you to run such that the script would compare the login details between WordPress and phpBB to determine if there are any user accounts that exist in one system but not the other and the script would then copy them across to keep the authentication sub-systems of both systems in synchronization for the old data. You may have to disable the plugins to keep things sane because it may cause the plugins to try to create users while the synchronization scripts are processing the old accounts. It would help if you can take the systems offline to the end users so you do not have any new user accounts during this period that would cause the systems to be out of synchronization for the newly created (more specifically, during the synchronization period) users as well.