xisto Community
hansley

I Want To Create A Forum Site Can anyone help?

I want to create a Public Forum in my site, but I do not know how.My friends told me to use either PHPBB or Invision, which of them better based on your opinion?And how to set up the database?What type of database does this site host?MySQL 3.x?MySQL 4.x?PostgreSQL 7.x?MS SQL Server 7/2000?MS Access [ODBC]?MS SQL Server [ODBC]?What is the database server hostname / DNS?There are a lot more things to ask, so please help me, especially those who have succeeded in creating an online forum.Thank you.

What type of database does this site host?MySQL 3.x?MySQL 4.x?PostgreSQL 7.x?MS SQL Server 7/2000?MS Access [ODBC]?MS SQL Server [ODBC]?What is the database server hostname / DNS for this site?This is kind'a important in configuring the forum site.Thank you.

i dont think this is the default it may look like it but i think the buttons and some parts of the forum has been modifed, well invision is good but i think phpbb look classy. Plus you get a auto install feature on Xisto for phpbb so it will be easy and you get a invision one as well its just an old version i think it is v1.2.

i dont think this is the default it may look like it but i think the buttons and some parts of the forum has been modifed, well invision is good but i think phpbb look classy. Plus you get a auto install feature on Xisto for phpbb so it will be easy and you get a invision one as well its just an old version i think it is v1.2.

50950[/snapback]

Yeah, I was thinking of going with PHPBB, btw, what do you mean with auto install feature on Xisto?

Can you guide me on installing the PHPBB, I am using Xisto's host with my own domain?

Do you know any styles that might be similar to this Xisto's? Xisto's style is simple yet attractive.

Can we use invision's style on PHPBB?

Thank you.

It would be very difficult to modify your PhpBB board enough to make it look like invision board so i would recommened that you either choose what style you want.Well anyways here is the instruction:First - Log into your CpanelSecond - Go to the bottom and look for a catagory called preinstalled scriptsThird - if you want PhpBB you can just click on the link that says PhpBBor if you want invision go to addon scripts and and look for a link that says InvisionBoard.Fourth - Just type in the things that are requested for, name your folder for the forum as forum preferably but you can call it what ever you want and your done!Enjoy your forum :D

Ok I've done what you said and it worked perfectly...now the question is, how to edit the board and forums? And how to remove the logo of the phpbb? How to edit the layout of the site?Thank you.

I keep getting these messages while opening my forum site on My Forum:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /home/hansley/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/hansley/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/hansley/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

Anyone have any idea why?

Does anyone know how to put more of pip.gif under the ranks in PHPBB?You know pip.gif is the blue boxy icon that keeps getting more in number as our rank increases....Can anyone tell me?Thank you.

Logo: Replace the image (forum/templates/Classic/images/logo_phpBB.gif) or change the url.
Template editing: Edit files in the /templates/ folder. You should create a new template to experiment with so you don't mess your current one up. (Duplicate a template folder and rename it.)
Ranks: Go to admin, click Ranks, 'Add New Rank', fill in the form, repeat. You'll need to upload the rank images to your site if you want them.

And http://www.phpbbhacks.com/ is a great place for Mods/Templates/Images.

ePennyPress

I want to create a Public Forum in my site, but I do not know how.

My friends told me to use either PHPBB or Invision, which of them better based on your opinion?

And how to set up the database?

What type of database does this site host?

MySQL 3.x?

MySQL 4.x?

PostgreSQL 7.x?

MS SQL Server 7/2000?

MS Access [ODBC]?

MS SQL Server [ODBC]?

What is the database server hostname / DNS?

There are a lot more things to ask, so please help me, especially those who have succeeded in creating an online forum.

Thank you.

50920[/snapback]

Bravenet offers all kinds of free tools, including forums. their stuff isn't very sophisticated, but it is all customizable and easy to install. They'll bombard you with ads, but that's the "price" we pay for "free"stuff. what I like about their tools is that they have so many interactive freebies. You could set up a website for someone who could never maintain a real site, but they could learn how to use the tools and have a great time playing webmaster.

I have an affiliate deal going with Bravenet, so please click through on my link, then click on the banner to sign up so I'll get credit for it ;) . It's free.

Suz

Ok...now I need another favour, can someone help me in installing mods to PHPBB? I totally have no idea how to do that.....Another question, for those PHPBB user, what mods that are necessary to install? And how might I install them?