xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
fermin25

Mycents Are Not Updating Please help me...

no rpgsearcherz, i disagree with you here, he owes us to build a good forum and offer us a good hosting, he should do that since we are here for him and for his site. it is kind of an interrelationship between us, that has been build on two main basis:
-first: the business, we feed his forums, keep it active and full of information and good quality posts, and he gives us a free hosting instead.

- second: the loyalty: a lot of members are not here not because of mycents or to get a free hosting but because they love this forums and care for it. they give a lot of their time in here because they trust and respect the admin, the mod and the other members and they know they are respected too, so their time in here is worthy, so they are still loyal to these forums, and this is exactly what opaque trying to build in here.

these two factors are the main reasons that make opaque owes us just like we owe him a lot. it is an interrelationship between we and him, if any part of this is lost then the other will be too.

btw: if opaque was from that kind of persons, then me and a lot won't bother themselves about the forum, but i know he is trustful and respect his members, also he already promised to keep this forum till he pass it to his son jack or jimmy, i can't remember ;) .

I wasn't saying he would do it, or that it wouldn't hurt anything. People keep acting like he is legally obligated to offer working scripts and web hosting; it's simply not true. I'm just saying people need to understand that complaining all of the time isn't going to help anything. This isn't something where if you have an issue you can go to the BBB and report the company for failing to honor their contracts.

I wasn't saying he would do it, or that it wouldn't hurt anything. People keep acting like he is legally obligated to offer working scripts and web hosting; it's simply not true. I'm just saying people need to understand that complaining all of the time isn't going to help anything. This isn't something where if you have an issue you can go to the BBB and report the company for failing to honor their contracts.

i agree with you on this, complaining all the time and about everything won't do any good but make things worse. i truly think that the forum in here is going for the best even in slow steps. and hope everyone see things just like me.

I don't understand where the view that the name change caused it to lose traffic and stuff. How?

When I came back here I used the Xisto address. It still works. So any links previously up in any search engine, whether pointing to Xisto or Xisto, work just fine.So this idea that things were lost in the process makes no sense. Nothing was lost because everything that was there before is still there now.

Anwii already explained it to you so i'll save some keyboard hits for myself. If you ask opaque about traffic then you'll come to know that how much traffic is lost and how many threads lost their rank and are moved to 4-5 th page of SE's. Xisto is add-on domain now so all the references for it are lost and now for many competing terms forum lost the ranks and things will now start from scratch. You can disagree with it if you want to. But atleast i can see less backlinks to new domain, and other SEO loss.

Now, yes, there were issues with the scripts. But OpaQue doesn't *owe* us anything. If you read the ToS or whatever I highly doubt it states that we are guaranteed to have working scripts and free hosting. In fact, he could take it down right this second, delete all our posts, and our hosting, and there is nothing that can be done about it. We were never contractually guaranteed anything; thus he owes nothing.

If what you say is true and opaque doesn't care along with that point then i can safely say that if anyone is genuinely contributing here is simply wasting time. In that case, just post for the sake of mycents and get back to your own life if that's all *owing nothing from community owner*" means. And if that happens then i'm sure nobody will open threads with titles that catches SE attention and in turn this forum loses traffic and rest of loss follows. Besides if you follow this forum closely then you can see that only 30-50 active members are contributing a lot for this place. Rest of the others are getting their domain or hosting and showing up only when they need mycents(nothing wrong about that at all, but point proves here is limited activity and less number of loyal and active contributors). I wonder if people *with owe-nothing" mindset can really build community. I never see opaque responding or thinking like that so i don't know how you got this impression that he owes nothing. If he owes nothing then active contributors are wasting time here for sure. And as he *owes nothing* as per you then why should 30-40 active community members everyday should bother for posting bugs,suggestion and feedback or even nag opaque about updates, mycents and broken things ? Let it get even worst, we just all care for our own mycent and get back to life. I see only negative view if we start to put opaque in * owes-nothing* zone. So which way we're supposed to go ? As community ? or as * owner with owe-nothing and members with hosting needs stuck at mycents mindset* ? ?

So any complains you all have about what is "broken" or what you can't get is irrelevant -- he could ignore it all and never give hosting again if he wanted to.

Well i'm sure if this place keeps on breaking like this every month then surely new people will move somewhere else. Be it paid or free or something else they'll profit better than waiting for mycents here for each week. That's not the issue as well, people come and go. It's like who cares about it if as per you *owner owes nothing*. Member complaints are valid here no matter how opaque is busy with coding or other work stuff. We've community here which requires constant attention in downtime. Since last 6 months mycents were broken almost every month if i'm not wrong. And now even posts are getting deleted and sometimes locked to get into moderator approval. If he wants to shut this place he can do that anytime and nobody or no-one is going to say anything about. After all, we never made contracts or have anything legal over here. Mycents are not legal as well so we can't complain if we lost our hosting on xisto. It's just that things will get worst if he wishes to shut down like terms of data and domains etc etc. Atleast people needs some time before they move elsewhere. That's all i can say, other than that opaque is always free to shut all of our hosting down cause as per you he *owes nothing*.

Come on, i understand what are you talking about in here. but REALLY, he is a human and we should give him the time to breath. he is just finished from the mycents problem and he is still testing it. let's giving him a time to relax and think, we can't keep on complaining and pushing him with error after another. there should be breaks so he could rearrange his ideas, and fix things step by step.

i am quite sure he is aware of everything happening in here, so REALLY we don't have to keep on complaining BUT we could do better than that and point the errors and be supportive.

Sorry WD, i back up and help opaque as much as i can but seriously things are falling apart and though i don't put much heart into anything on the internet but have to say that this way community is fading. When things are falling like that you can't pretend to be supportive all the time and live in denial saying "all is well". That's what we are doing ever since forum upgrade was done. Now our posts are also deleted either with forum bug or something else. Many threads are getting into mod approval and our replies never show up.

besides, what is the damages if mycents won't update regularly for now, after the system is back, we all got a big amount of mycents to cover our hosting for two months or more. so no one will be in need to mycents for the next couple of months and till then opaque will fix things and everything will back to normal, and eventually everyone will get his mycents, and already have enough mycent to cover his hosting. so really no need to complain right now.

This reply looks more positive to me. I know things will turn up well the way you said but like it or not EVERY complaint against mycents downtime and forum bugs are valid. If you and people here who think opaque *owes-nothing* towards community then all i can say is that members who are contributing their time here genuinely are indeed wasting time and anyone who wants to report bug should save their keystroke cause it means nothing and is close to getting ignored. Am i right ?

If you and people here who think opaque *owes-nothing* towards community then all i can say is that members who are contributing their time here genuinely are indeed wasting time and anyone who wants to report bug should save their keystroke cause it means nothing and is close to getting ignored. Am i right ?

me?
no you misunderstood me in here, read my previous post please i already argued with rpgsearcherz about how opaque owes his members. and i do believe both of us we "the members" and opaque owe each other to do our best for this community.
Edited by web_designer (see edit history)