xisto Community
The Simpleton

Project Natal = Kinect (Xbox 360)

The Dreamcast is an excellent example, actually. It was a real pioneer of online gaming, way ahead of other consoles at the time. However, at the time of its release only 42% of the country had any access to the Internet. 96% of those people were using dial-up. 99% of people only had one PC, so had no use for any kind of network. The market they were aiming at was therefore slightly limited :P But the technology was good, it was just released ahead of its time and before the required technology was advanced enough. Kinect looks like it could suffer from the same problem - the idea could be good, but the technology doesn't look like it has advanced enough to be a success.

Nowadays people are more open towards new technology so that is why Kinect may have a chance of succeeding, but unless it proves itself to be worthy there is no use no matter how many people are ready to sample the technology it offers. After the Wii ideas like Kinect somehow seem like copycats!

Microsoft have been showing off their virtual character that used the Kinect technology:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ anyone else find it just a little bit creepy? :P

Microsoft have been showing off their virtual character that used the Kinect technology:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Does anyone else find it just a little bit creepy? :P

I don't find it that creepy, just a little though. But that doesn't deter my hopes about Project Nadal! It's giving me one more reason why my parents should buy me a xbox 360 :D

I don't find it that creepy, just a little though. But that doesn't deter my hopes about Project Nadal! It's giving me one more reason why my parents should buy me a xbox 360 :D

Nah it's not too creepy, but yeah it might be an excuse to buy an XBox :P I'd advice you to wait until some good game comes out for it though. The present line-up of games isn't all too impressive.

Microsoft have been showing off their virtual character that used the Kinect technology:

Does anyone else find it just a little bit creepy? :P

That video right there is the one that was proven to be scripted. Some site that did their review on it stated that it wasn't ready for display yet, but Microsoft had to show it off quickly, so they set it up to where it'd run through a pre-determined set of events, with the lady following a script as well.

They did state that the later videos were real though. It still annoys me that they would lie to us about the first though.

That video right there is the one that was proven to be scripted. Some site that did their review on it stated that it wasn't ready for display yet, but Microsoft had to show it off quickly, so they set it up to where it'd run through a pre-determined set of events, with the lady following a script as well.
They did state that the later videos were real though. It still annoys me that they would lie to us about the first though.

Well of course they would lie. That's what big companies do. Actually, that's also what politicians do. But not only big politicians, even the small ones. :D

Do you know where was it proven that the game was scripted? I would really like to read it, since I find it hard (yes, hard - although big companies have been known to lie more than a few times :D) to believe they would first show a false video, which they know will be seen many times, and then make "real" ones. Something doesn't fit, my dear Watson... Something does not fit. :D

Well of course they would lie. That's what big companies do. Actually, that's also what politicians do. But not only big politicians, even the small ones. :D
Do you know where was it proven that the game was scripted? I would really like to read it, since I find it hard (yes, hard - although big companies have been known to lie more than a few times :D) to believe they would first show a false video, which they know will be seen many times, and then make "real" ones. Something doesn't fit, my dear Watson... Something does not fit. :D

I'll look for sources but many people said it was stated by Microsoft themselves and that the videos were there to show what it *will* be like.

It was like a promotional video of sorts -- much like you'd post an unfinished video game to show what gameplay will be like -- doesn't mean it's fully working at the time.

Seems like the sort of thing they'd do, especially with the Playstation Move being announced too. They had to have something to grab the headlines and get peoples attention. If it was scripted, I'm sure people wouldn't have minded if they said so in the video. If they made it clear it was just a preview and wasn't actually real, but just a suggestion of what it might be able to do, then I don't think it would have had such a negative reaction.

They seem to have made a habit of painfully scripting pretty much every demo it seems :P Watch this for some cringeworthy "acting" of a video call.

Even the less formal demos and quotes from "celebrities" trying it out seem very scripted and stilted rather than natural reactions and gameplay.

Seems like the sort of thing they'd do, especially with the Playstation Move being announced too. They had to have something to grab the headlines and get peoples attention. If it was scripted, I'm sure people wouldn't have minded if they said so in the video. If they made it clear it was just a preview and wasn't actually real, but just a suggestion of what it might be able to do, then I don't think it would have had such a negative reaction.

They seem to have made a habit of painfully scripting pretty much every demo it seems :P Watch this for some cringeworthy "acting" of a video call.

Even the less formal demos and quotes from "celebrities" trying it out seem very scripted and stilted rather than natural reactions and gameplay.

Well, yes - it's obvious they already knew what they will say while chatting (I don't really believe she called her friend and thought "oh, well maybe she's home"), but the platform (Chat) itself doesn't look like it's readymade for that presentation.

I wouldn't expect anything less than their live conferences being scripted, because people would say Microsoft's unprofessional if they wouldn't do so. It's not like they're Google or something. :D

The scripting is pretty much necessary for things like that -- had they gone un-scripted and *anything* went wrong I guarantee all 500+ companies that were there would be releasing information about Microsoft's failure and how the Natal/Kinect would flop over and die. By scripting it they ensured everything would work as intended.My problem with all of that is that we don't know if it really *will* work like it should. Though it was scripted, it may still work as intended; or it may not.

I honestly the Kinect software is extremely useless and will not impact on the console in any way: Microsoft seem to be fooling themselves that everyone will want a Kinect but this is not in fact the case.I've tried it at a local event in my country and found the system itself very unresponsive and couldn't track myself or my friends correctly. The range of games they will be releasing so far look terrible also so I definitely will not be purchasing the hardware.I remember when EyeToy for the Playstation 2 came out, and to me, this hardware doesn't seem much different in tracking the player.Just my two cents.