xisto Community
rpgsearcherz

Dvd And Blueray Combo Packs What is the point?

Okay, this is really starting to bother me -- DvD's that come in BlueRay and DvD format, in the same package, at a "discount" as compared to buying both separately.Does anyone here purchase these combo packs? And if so, can you please explain *why*?The way I see it, if I have a BlueRay player I'll watch the BR discs. If I don't then I wouldn't purchase them. When you have the option of:1) BR itself2) DvD itself3) Both BR and DvdI really can't figure out why you would want both.I'm noticing this with more and more movies as of lately and it just doesn't make any sense to me. So please, explain this to me.

I use to purchase the combo pack the reason behind this was, at the time I did not own a bluray player. I knew at one point I would purchase a bluray player and would have to start making my collection. There are certain movies that I am really glad I purchased the bluray version. Another reason would be that I only own one bluray player, and if I wanted to watch my movie in the bed room, portable dvd player, or another location I would have a copy of the movie that I could view. I too at one point questioned the same thing, however it does make sense.

Nope... Never been that 'stupid' in my life... at least not yet :P I have seen some ads on the paper and in some stores I see them but I just buy the Blu-Ray cds. Whenever a new movie comes out on DVD, I get it from NetFlix instantly and then watch it -- if it is good enough to be bought to play on BR CD, I go ahead and get the ordinary blue-rays. I don't really even have a Blue-ray player, I just use my Playstation 3 to do that job. I haven't been able to understand why you would need a DVD and a Blue-Ray CD. Probably someone like Comp2 or a guy who wants 2 collections?

I use to purchase the combo pack the reason behind this was, at the time I did not own a bluray player. I knew at one point I would purchase a bluray player and would have to start making my collection. There are certain movies that I am really glad I purchased the bluray version. Another reason would be that I only own one bluray player, and if I wanted to watch my movie in the bed room, portable dvd player, or another location I would have a copy of the movie that I could view. I too at one point questioned the same thing, however it does make sense.

But if you were going to get a BR player later, you could save the money and only get the DvD, then buy the BR when it went through a price drop in a couple weeks/a month. Then you spent less by waiting to buy something you couldn't use until later anyways.

I've seen other movies now that are 2/3 packs as well, including one of the following:

1) DvD or BR movie
2) Electronic code to view the movie online

or

1) DvD
2) BR
3) Electronic code

Maybe they are just marketing to those who do impulse buying?

I haven't yet seen anywhere selling a combination of DVD and Blu-ray? of the same film together. Like you say, it seems pointless - it'd be like buying the same music on CD and cassette at the same time. I especially can't understand it if the movie studios are charging more for the combination than for Blu-ray? on its own. If the DVD version was chucked in free, fine, but I can't see why anyone would pay for the two together. Then again, Blu-ray? hasn't really taken off in the UK as much as in the US. The prices for the players and the films are just so high that people are happy to stick with cheap DVD players and cheap DVDs.

I haven't yet seen anywhere selling a combination of DVD and Blu-ray of the same film together. Like you say, it seems pointless - it'd be like buying the same music on CD and cassette at the same time. I especially can't understand it if the movie studios are charging more for the combination than for Blu-ray on its own. If the DVD version was chucked in free, fine, but I can't see why anyone would pay for the two together. Then again, Blu-ray hasn't really taken off in the UK as much as in the US. The prices for the players and the films are just so high that people are happy to stick with cheap DVD players and cheap DVDs.

https://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-DVD-Combo/dp/B002VPE1B6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1278757260&sr=8-1

There's an example of what I mean by it.

About the music CD and cassette, we also had a lot of combo packs like that as well (back when cassettes were popular), lol.

I can't justify the cost for BR anyways -- the cost is 50% or so more than DvD and the quality isn't a huge problem for me (I've seen the differences and I know they're big, but once the movie is over it's not like I'll think back and say "man, that one barrel that blew up was a little pixellated").

Most of the combo packs are not that much more, usually one 5 bucks. I love my blu ray player not only for the quality but for the extra features that come on the disk. Not to mention that my player has netflix vudu and pandora built right in.

Yeah, that just strikes me as a pointless purchase :P I can't see anyone going to buy a film and thinking "I'll get the higher quality version, but what I also need is a version that is slightly lower quality bundled with it." Even if you have a Blu-rayTM player in your living room and a DVD player in your bedroom, for example, with the high costs charged for films it's probably cheaper to buy a second Blu-rayTM player than buy all the films twice.