xisto Community
NNNOOOOOO

I Heard Video Card Upgrade Is One Of The Cheapest. But should I get CPU upgrade?

I'm not sure what my Video cards spec.s are, but I have a Pentium 2 or 3 512MHz processor. A better video card can run my flight simulator better, but to run my truck simulators, I'll need a faster processor. In your guys's opinions, Which should I get first?

I'm not sure what my Video cards spec.s are, but I have a Pentium 2 or 3 512MHz processor. A better video card can run my flight simulator better, but to run my truck simulators, I'll need a faster processor. In your guys's opinions, Which should I get first?

If this is a serious question, you should just upgrade your entire PC. Your CPU is slow enough that a real upgrade would require a new motherboard and new ram, at the very least, as well as probably a new PSU.

For $300 or so you can get a dual core CPU system with a gig or more of ram, and it should be good enough to support your needs.

Definately agree with that due to the fact current generation graphic cards require current generation motherboards and processors to handle them properly. You could always refurbish your computer with similar parts but that will take time as i doubt any parts exist for P2 computers. Unless you go to a tech heavy college and go through their junk pile but yeah its best just to get a brand new computer and bring it out back and Old Yeller that computer.

If this is a serious question, you should just upgrade your entire PC. Your CPU is slow enough that a real upgrade would require a new motherboard and new ram, at the very least, as well as probably a new PSU.
For $300 or so you can get a dual core CPU system with a gig or more of ram, and it should be good enough to support your needs.

I do have another PC that WILL run my games, but it has a huge problem with it.:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/55438076

I do have another PC that WILL run my games, but it has a huge problem with it.:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/55438076

It seems like the issue from that thread is the motherboard itself or the RAM. It could be either of those causing the system not to POST. The only way is to test (I'd go with RAM first).

When you get RAM, make sure it's the right type (for example, DDR2 5300) for the motherboard.

It seems like the issue from that thread is the motherboard itself or the RAM. It could be either of those causing the system not to POST. The only way is to test (I'd go with RAM first).
When you get RAM, make sure it's the right type (for example, DDR2 5300) for the motherboard.

Ok. I'll see if that works, when I can.

I randomly decided to power cycle it again. This time it made very little tick noise and found the CD drive.I'll post what happens when I switch RAM. It'll just be a while before I can.

I randomly decided to power cycle it again. This time it made very little tick noise and found the CD drive.I'll post what happens when I switch RAM. It'll just be a while before I can.

There's a possibility the power supply is going out (in which case it may not be giving power to all the parts in your PC, or at least not enough power).

Really there are just soo many options it's hard to lock one down without testing out a lot of things.

Thought I would update this topic. I received a video card today the is a few years old. I put it in the PC to try it out. It is awesome. It fixed to "playing video" problem. I'm about to test in flight simulator. First, I need to enable dual monitor (I have my reasons).

You have a quite old hardware, Pentium 2 is over 10 years old? So what kind of a video card you got? if it's from that time, when of course it will be better, but if it's a newer one, which still is AGP and works on your motherboard, I think you won't get all the power from it, due to your motherboard.Also, RAM is another issue for most of games, it's best to upgrade video cards and RAM, for newer games, it's even better to upgrade your motherboard and CPU which you later will be able to upgrade with newer video card.

You have a quite old hardware, Pentium 2 is over 10 years old? So what kind of a video card you got? if it's from that time, when of course it will be better, but if it's a newer one, which still is AGP and works on your motherboard, I think you won't get all the power from it, due to your motherboard.
Also, RAM is another issue for most of games, it's best to upgrade video cards and RAM, for newer games, it's even better to upgrade your motherboard and CPU which you later will be able to upgrade with newer video card.

I mean Pentium 3. I don't know what the old one was, but the new one, 0016100 (Real 3D). I bought the PC for $75.00 about...we'll call it 2yrs ago. I have since then made a few hardware changes to it.

I mean Pentium 3. I don't know what the old one was, but the new one, 0016100 (Real 3D). I bought the PC for $75.00 about...we'll call it 2yrs ago. I have since then made a few hardware changes to it.

2 years ago then it could be intel dual core or core 2 duo. i doubt even pentium 4 was released 2 years ago. last processor in pentium 4 was released during end of 2006-07. so that's 3.5 years so far. but from the price of it maybe it could be old pentium 3. because old pentium 4 machines are still sold for some good amount these days. by the way which video card is this ? company name or specific model name ?

2 years ago then it could be intel dual core or core 2 duo. i doubt even pentium 4 was released 2 years ago. last processor in pentium 4 was released during end of 2006-07. so that's 3.5 years so far. but from the price of it maybe it could be old pentium 3. because old pentium 4 machines are still sold for some good amount these days. by the way which video card is this ? company name or specific model name ?

One core :(. The number I posted (0016100) is the model number and Real 3D is the company, I believe.

Seeing as how my last reply is approaching three years old, I'm going to just throw an update out there. The card I replaced was a 2 MB card (no, I'm not lying). The card I replaced it with is an 8 MB. Yes, I quadrupled my video memory by installing an 8 MB card <_<

I have since gotten a new (also old) computer. I'm not sure what it's specs were, and I won't be able to tell until I dig my notes back out. We have also gotten a newer computer. It was designed as a business comp. and has a 128MB onboard graphics card. According to research, the largest card I could install without replacing the PSU is the Galaxy GeForce GT 440 2GB DDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card, which is on it's way to my house right now. This comp also has a 2.1 GHz AMD Sempron LE-1200 processor, and we doubled the RAM to 2 GB.

As for the other computer mentioned in this topic, it was the motherboard. I would like to get https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-CrossFireX-NVIDIA-Motherboard-GA-Z77X-D3H/dp/B007R21KBC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370893896&sr=8-1&keywords=GA-Z77X-D3H 

This  motherboard to replace the old one and build myself a computer. But first, I need a job so I can afford it.

Here's a CPU-Z of our most powerful computer:

cpu-z.jpg

And just to update this topic (just a few updates left, but spread over time), I am currently planning to build a new computer. I've been working with people on another forum to help find parts I need while on a budget. Assuming prices don't change in a few months (most likely they will (hopefully cheaper)), it will cost $267.43 after tax (if it's state tax (6%)). It's price before tax is $252.95. So it's right around my budget. If my student financial aid return is as much as last time, I'll definitely have enough.

But do keep in mind that that price does not include: PSU, shell, monitor, mouse/keyboard, HDD, CD/DVD, Video, nor OS. I <s>can</s> should be able to find a PSU and CD/DVD drive cheap. I plan on reusing a shell, monitor, Video card, and mouse/keyboard we already have. And, until we can get a 64 bit Windows, we will use 64 bit Linux. All that leaves us with left is an HDD.

MOBO: MSI Computer Corp. Socket AM3+ AMD 970 DDR3 SATA3 and USB 3.0 A&GbE ATX Motherboard 970A-G43

RAM: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMX8GX3M2A 160​0C9)

CPU: AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition